Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grand canal deaths

Options
  • 07-07-2024 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

why is there so little coverage of the two bodies found dead in the grand canal ?

after initial report, there has been nothing.

Is it accidental death ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭baldbear

Homeless male deaths, people or the media don't give these things a second thought I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,319 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yes basically they're homeless men, not celebrities or anything. Pretty much disposable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

And when you compare it to the coverage of the equally tragic crash in Mayo where the mother and daughter died. Two white Irish homeless men just doesn't seem to get the attention, which is both sad and shocking for us as a society.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,977 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How do you know they were white?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If they weren't Irish, media and government would be all over it, NGOs organising go funds etc.,

RIP to them both

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

It has been on the main page on the RTE website and across most major news sources since they were discovered. I think only as much information as is available is released while investigation is ongoing. I'd say there will be more said on the matter, the dail is in recess over the next month but the homeless equation will be high on the agenda over the coming weeks and months. https://www.newstalk.com/news/death-of-two-homeless-men-on-grand-canal-due-to-state-policy-1742539

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,430 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

All it would take is some alcohol/ an accident for this to happen, camping at the edge of a canal is sketchy, the 2 lads were on the other side of the canal and they didnt get their own fence

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If the deaths are suicide related you will hear very little in the media due to the Werther Effect.

But I suspect there is very little to report beyond what has already been reported. Sorry bossman, there's no conspiracy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

a bit low to bring suicide, bossman and conspiracy. Asking what happened is surely not a conspiracy?

You really just highlight the original post that there has been a very little journalism done on these deaths as no-one seems to give a shite

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

What's there to talk about? There isn't much of an angle for the media to get their teeth into until and unless more information comes out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

One person found dead in the water is not unheard of but 2 in the same place sounds very suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Its in every media outlet I've seen. Its no longer top item and more things have come in. The latest is there were no obvious marks suggesting foul play and it is most likely going to end up as one fell in and the other went and tried to assist.

Plenty of cctv, so it will be an easy case to work out.

A lot of far right scum are really hoping against hope that it has to do with undocumented immigrants and they are going to be very disappointed - but don't worry they will start claiming that its a cover up and all that sort of crap - its what these hate spewing violent scum do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Very sad. We seem to have forgotten about the poor Irish homeless with all the focus on immigrants.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Unless there is an angle the media are not bothered. It is part of the reason I immediately thought of the "Scissor Sisters" case nearly 20 years ago. Where they chopped their alleged abuser up, and fired him into the Royal Canal.

That is the type of unusual nature a murder committed on a male has to have, to get noticed. That is just the way society is now. It is even worse now when social media is dependant on views and clicks, with short attention spans.

Two non-descript fellas murdered, is just a shrug of the shoulders now. It does not tug at the heart strings and cause an outpouring of shock/emotion.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Redacted Circular

Irish, White, male and homeless. No angle for the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,367 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Every time I’ve heard the news this weekend it’s been mentioned. Clear agendas trying to be shoehorned in here from some.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Joebrosaysno

This is a very sad thing to happen and sympathy to their families. A few years ago while we were looking out the window of our apartment one night there was someone in some type of distressful state standing on the wall of the quay and a police car stopped and an officer was trying to calm them down when they jumped into the water. The officer took off his shoes and jumped straight in after him and they managed to get both out of the water some way further down because there were people helping them up the ladder type exit. Some people are in a terrible predicament while the world goes on business as usual and its important to remember the plight of others less fortunate.

The Taoiseach is well able to talk about the UK election results and their new PM plus go get a picture with Tim Burton on the Wednesday set

How many homeless died near The Dail also in the past

I still think if non Irish more exposure from all would be given and expressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭kyote00

very definite agenda all right. I watched rte news last night and just their now at 6pm but no mention.
    I live close by, Garda cordon still in place and a forensics van was there last night

The two men who died in the Grand Canal at the weekend were known to homeless services in Dublin.

Garda investigations into the deaths of men, aged in their 40s, were continuing on Sunday following the discovery of their bodies at Grand Parade near Charlemont bridge and Luas stop on Saturday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The only 'hate spewing' I see on this thread is sadly contained in your post.

As regards the two deceased, I guess we'll hear more of it in due course, if there are suspicious circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

A senior civil servant, (who has been involved in Dublin City Council in his past roles) while at a meeting regarding an ipas centre, was asked why all this work for asylum seekers and not Irish homeless, "Irish are homeless by choice" was his answer. Says its all really.

I'd be interested in a source for that.

This cold heartedness has crept into our society and I'm not for it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Two non-descript fellas murdered

Who said they were murdered?

If you have information nobody else seems to have please do share with the class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Saw it on the news yesterday , day before and heard it on the radio today also . Full interviw on nine o' clock news

Talked to homeless services and NGO .

Probably want to let family know befote anything else said and ascertain cause of death ?

You know usual procedures ...

RIP . Very sad for their families .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

"The Dublin Region Homeless Executive (DRHE) offered its sympathies to the families and friends of the two men.

The DHRE said it was in contact with gardaí and is awaiting confirmation of the men's identities to establish if they were known to homeless services."

Just have to wait, what else does the op expect?

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2024/0706/1458545-dublin/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,989 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's a shock we haven't heard the term 'mainstream media' yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

If they were refugees, there'd be helicopters n'all

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭prunudo

Said to me by people who were at the meeting, it's unlikely to be in print anywhere, so I guess you'll either have to choose whether to believe me or not. But I've no reason to lie so it's up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Advertisement