Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Etiquette while commuting on public trasport

Options
  • 07-07-2024 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭

Nothing annoys me more than:

Coach driver blasting out music on his/her radio on a long commute.

People talking loudly on their phone. Am I wrong to suggest that certain nationalities do tend to have a very loud speaking voice which makes it worse.

People not using the mute on their calls so that we all get to hear both sides of the drama.

People, young studenty types usually, but not always, who speak with American intonations. Replete with rising question tag ends interspersed with a million likes as in 'I saw him, like, yesterday? And like I'm like tired of him?

People who smell. Jeessus! Where's the bucket?

People who drink alcohol on trains.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Bags on seats, grrrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Stonekeeper2024

Allow me a rant because this ^ is just a symptom of a wider social problem that were having right now.

The Gen Z are the worst, but it seems to be happening with older people too (30s) who I guess are millennials? o I I'm not quite there yet but not young enough to be a Zoomer so I dunno what I am. With the younger ones, they are blasting music full volume on their phones on DART and Intercity trains, totally oblivious to other people, sometimes with others but even if they are alone (have they never heard of earphones). Music does not even sound good blasting with edgy scratchy 'on speaker' mode anyway it sounds much better in earphones so WTF?

Then there is this having a convo full bore on speaker so everyone can hear you, it would annoy me greatly if someone had me on full speaker on the other end.

It's one of a number of recent trends I've seen that disturb me. I noticed the number of people actually READING (on a tablet or a paper book) has plummeted on public transport. In particular with kids and teenagers, I used to read books all the time on trains and busses, and I still do, but now I can see everyone from 12-35 scrolling endlessly through tik tock just waiting for that temporary dopamine hit from discovering something mildly interesting. According to a friend of mine whos' teaching secondary school the attention span of the kids has started to nosedive. If they are confronted with anything longer than a paragraph or two they can't handle it. Instead of reading about a topic they'll look for youtube or tick tock videos explaining it (and you can imagine how much of that is reliable information)

Putting this together with other trends I've noticed (in fitness, attitudes towards mental health etc) I think Generation Z is going to split in two as they get older into two groups:

1. Who works out and eats right, reads books, tries to self improve, values time and uses it well instead of wasting large amounts of it on frivolous bs, sees their mental health/emotions as something they can control not something that controls and dominates THEM, recognises the difference between normal ups and downs and mental health problems, never touches their phone during meals or other times they need to focus, recognises that every right they have comes with a duty towards others in society that it's not all about them them them. Is capable of delayed gratification so thinks strategically about their life, what do I want in the long term and what will it take to get me there etc

2. Never work out (see a fit body as 'unobtainable' or worse 'toxic') so piles on weight as they get older, never reads books or anything longer than a page, pathologizes every normal life stressor as if it's a mental health crises, wastes (collectively ) years of their life in front of screens chasing game scores or the latest dopamine hit from funny tik tock vids, thinks self improvement is stupid, is obsessed with their rights and what is owed them with no social conscience (unless it allows them to feel self—righteous and superior to others) or consideration for others in the world. Is vaping like crazy believing the horse crap that it's safe (as opposed to safer, possibly, than cigs IF you are trying to get off cigs) and will be totally SHOCKED in 20 years when it comes out that it's full of sh1t that damages their body that the companies kept secret. Is not capable of long term thinking just wants whatever makes them feel good now now now.

Group 1, which probably makes up (roughly) 1/3, is going to have far less competition than the generation that preceded them as their competition in work, socially etc is way weaker and so they're going to do great and probably have a longer happier life, they'll also make way more money. Group 2 will end up in a major MAJOR mental and physical health crises when they get to their 30s, 40's and 50s. Group 2 often gets painted as ''the youth'' but that's not fair they are not all like this, but it's a big enough chunk that it's going to come back to haunt us down the road. I've found having watched over the last few years the kid being involved in team sports in secondary school (usually) seals them into group 1, staring at a computer all day and gaming (usually) locks them into group 2, I wish parents would be aware of this a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭blackbox

I can put up with the noise but I hate the smelly farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Feet on seats, even from older people I'd hope would know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The loud talking and phones on speaker seems to be something that is tolerated in Ireland; I have travelled on public transport in several European countries and they are a model of good behaviour compared to what goes on here. Drivers on Dublin Bus remain in their protected cab and, I imagine, don't want to take on the risks of managing the behaviour of their passengers. I can't say I blame them. There seems to be no stated policy or information campaign that I am aware of in relation to the antisocial behaviours described. It would at least be a start if the transport operators updated their policies to make clear what is and is not acceptable as a condition of travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Yes, who can put up with the smell, except the noisy flatulence?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,697 ✭✭✭jd

People using the speaker on their phones, and having loud conversations on them. Eating, particularly hot food. Feet on seats. Not taking off back packs (unless very small) before getting on Luas or bus. Blocking people trying to exit the Luas or bus when boarding..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭apache

Like others have said people talking loudly on the phone. There was loads of them on the bus yesterday shouting loudly into their phones. They weren't Irish either. Irked me to no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,197 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

In no particular order:

"Sharing" tinny shíte music.

Feet on seats.

Aircoach usually, freezing temperatures.

BO off people.

Sitting in reserved seats and not budging.

Yakking on phones.

"Gas" people, usually lads, usually drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,089 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

All the above .

Why I walk or cycle where possible .

Has its drawbacks too but won't go there now .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Huge generalisations based on what continent posters think people come from aren't going to be tolerated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While they won’t block out all noise and annoyance, noise cancelling headphones are a most on public transport. They greatly reduce the volume of the noise and make it more bareable. Just chill and listen to your own music / podcast and ignore all the rest and you will be much happier.

I have and can recommend both the Apple Air Pods Pro 2 and Sony XM4, mostly use the AirPods on public transport, the XM4’s at home, though they are even better. If they are too expensive, then Anker Soundcore make sub €100 noise cancelling air buds and headphones depending on your preference.

An investment well worth making IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I would be well used to long inter city coach trips leaving at 4 or 5 am. There are a number of irritants.

Lights!

In fairness the drivers almost always have the lights off and withing 10 minutes, once on the motorway, all is dark and all is quiet. Dandy.

This is not always the case however. Someone in the seat ahead has a reading light on and no peaked cap is going to help in that regard. Then the said person falls asleep with the light still on. Worse still is someone a few seats ahead who falls asleep with their light on.

Often only two passengers, in close proximity to me, on the whole bus have an unending conversation for two or more hours.

Headphones don't block out enough for me I'm afraid.

Music. Once the driver had the radio on quite loudly on a 4AM trip and as I was sitting near the front I asked him if he wouldn't mind lowering the volume a bit or preferably turning it off No! 'I need it to keep awake' was the answer. The joys.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,299 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I like my car. Comfy seat. No other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,220 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I agree nothing like it. However. I do like to get a nice sleep in the early hours and let the driver do the worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I'm reading all these problems and just thinking... man I love driving

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Couldn't live without my noise cancelling headphones on the bus.

My other gripe are the people who take one and a half seats on the bus and continue to do so even when you sit down beside them. Most times I just push in and make it clear I'm going to sit properly but it can be a judgement call as to whether it's better to do this or just awkwardly perch on the half seat they've graciously allowed you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

I always do the same.

It generally involves both of us sitting really uncomfortably for a few minutes before the light bulb comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Bad etiquette on the trains:

Opening of crisps and cans.

The SAME hooded hoody walking up and down the intercity coach every 10 minutes or so.

Advertisement