Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai are no help, I feel threatened

Options
  • 07-07-2024 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I just called the guards to find out if my brother had a gun liscence because I feel threatened by him and they told me to write a letter to the superintendent.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect they can't simply give out info on whether someone has a gun licence (AKA a gun in their house) based on someone calling them.

did you actually call to the station?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭blackbox

So you didn't tell the guards that your brother threatened you with a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Do you live in the same house as your brother . . If so can you go and stay with friends or relatives some distance away from him?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

The Garda has no right to disclose people's private information unless it may be in the public interest and you feeling threatened does not come even close to that level.

As they have told you, if you have a credible concern then write to the superintendent setting out your concerns and supporting it with credible examples which give rise to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

It is not threatening action against this person...they should report this to gardai who should investigate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Babyreignbow

You could try contacting womens aid and talking to someone on the helpline, they might be able to provide options for you if you are feeling unsafe in your home. They might be able to suggest other avenues of help, you might be able to apply for a safety order if your brother is a viable threat.

If a thousand suns were to rise
    and stand in the noon sky, blazing,
    such brilliance would be like the fierce
    brilliance of that mighty Self.”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Maybe, just maybe you should have told Gardai that you feel threatened by your brother. That's an issue they can do something about. They cannot give out someone's private information.

Advertisement