Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting ground for spuds

Options
  • 08-07-2024 12:48am
    Administrators Posts: 376 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

This discussion was created from comments split from: Inheriting the family farm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,815 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think lads must be mad to rent out ground for 400-500 for spuds or carrots when there are stories of 350-400 being got fairly easily for grazing/silage ground.

Post edited by greysides on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

i was told here a few months ago that i was talking bull when i said spuds and carrots were making 600 an acre so i said i would give it a more conservative figure not to shock anyone! but yeah 500 for spuds easy got. id rather give it to spuds and carrot men because id know they are good for the money no problem. dairy not as huge around here as the south

You'd have been wanting that money and more for spuds and carrots even before grassland went mental. Very hard on the ground.

As for getting the money out of them …. those lads can also have very good years…..and very bad years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭Dickie10

I used to be of the opinion with spuds and carrots being bad for land but a lot of farmers I know of that put their land in spuds and carrots seem to have no issue with it, is it more if a myth?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Like everything, it depends on the weather. In a bad year a bull dozer might have to be used on the headlands to clear off topsoil so they can unload the harvester.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

The land won't be the same after a destoner. The machinery is massive these days. Self-propelled harvesters (albeit many tracked). Big trailers.

Back in the day, renting a field to a spud man (or putting spuds in for a year) was a good way of getting rid of weeds and cleaning up ground before reseeding. That's not really a benefit any more as there are plenty of sprays available to anyone to control the weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

The destoner minces the earthworms and moves the stone's into rows, which effects the aeration and drainage of the soil , it's takes it a few years to come back right again

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Can the land be re-stoned if it can be de-stoned if putting it in pasture after spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ive seen lads grubbing at right angles to the drills to spread the stones back into the soil

Advertisement