Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop reading the news

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Both sides nonsense. Can you prove the BBC is as bad as RT?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Can you prove the BBC is better than Russia Today?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,088 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And what's wrong with you having this interest? What do the others be doing? Probably watching endless series of rubbish on Netflix etc. Then watching them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,607 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Don't have to. It's your claim. Since you have nothing, we're done here.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,211 ✭✭✭archfi

24 hour news channels are the worst of the worst. Avoid if possible, definitely don't have it on all day long.

I'd say take in as wide a breadth of sources as possible, especially include sources that do not conform to your worldview. Definitely never oversaturate your mind with nonsense and biased headlines (which most 'news' is)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

I disagree. Awfully handy for me, no matter where I am, to be able to get Sky News on Youtube at any time to see what's going on. Obviously, it's important to consume in moderation.

So you can't show how Russia Today is worse than the BBC? Damn straight we're done here. Don't be so ridiculous. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Nothing at all wrong with it. But whereas once I believed being informed and interested in what's going on was a better way to spend your downtime rather than living on Netflix etc, I'm now not so sure. The world is absolutely fcuked. Peak capitalism has stacked the deck against young people. Corporate power has an iron grip on the western world and it's only getting tighter. Democracy is getting shakier by the year and populism is becoming the norm, fueled by social media. We don't even need to mention the climate and the very real physical and social threats that that has in store for us all.

My admittedly pessimistic view is that this ship is holed below the water and it's only a matter of time. My thinking now is, it's probably better to focus on yourself and those close to you and just keep an ear open for whatever else is going on beyond that. Comsuming vast amounts of news thru various platforms to the extent that it becomes your daily and nightly diet of tv/internet, is probably not the best use of ones time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why do you feel the need to ask nonsensical questions? Are you going to try to claim that the Russian government don't control the Russian news?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

"We're done here" seems to be your catchphrase.

• Advertisement

In fairness, there's not much else I can add when someone can't be bothered to make their own argument.

I said some BBC viewers have a warped view on various topics, the same as Russia Today viewers. The other poster can't show how he thinks the BBC is any better, can you?

Argument? This is an anonymous discussion forum, why are you spending your day arguing?

I just made a point and I made it very clearly. Actually, you proved my point and you haven't even realised it! 🤣

'The funny thing is that so many don't realise how easily they are influenced.'

The reason why people need to look at the news and read about what's going on in the world including negative stuff is because if you don't you could end up posting something like this. This post makes me worried about the future of human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Part of the article I wrote was taken from a book. Well influenced. Rolf dobbelli stop reading the news

He makes the point that a lot of news articles are not in depth and don't cover all the angles. It perhaps would be impossible to do so. Thus an article showing violent attacks on the increase could be down to more people reporting incidents rather than more violence.

Same with the health service. I heard today about a man who got a hip replacement at age 90. Unusual. He lived alone and had no car. The hip operation transformed his life but you rarely hear these stories. We are led to believe we have a 3rd world health service.

https://medium.com/%40williamlynch1970/stop-reading-stuff-that-makes-you-miserable-77c520da3207

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Quiet Achiever

I like the news and knowing what's happening on the world, but i adore this quote from John McGahern which i read regularly to keep me grounded (along with That They May Face the Rising Sun)

"The best of life is lived quietly, where nothing happens but our calm journey through the day, where change is imperceptible and precious life is everything" - John McGahern

That's like asking me to prove the earth is not flat, your asking a very childish and silly question. If someone thinks something the BBC says is incorrect you can make a complaint to Ofcom and the BBC would have to be able to verify their story, they have guidelines they have to follow and their journalists can report the news without fear that the truth could put them in prison for decades. In Russia if a reporter tells the truth about what's happening in Ukraine its off to prison they go.

You're finally getting the point! Took you long enough. It was a ridiculous post by the other poster.

Advertisement