Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP. CHANGING SCHOOLS MONTHS BEFORE MY LEAVING CERT

Options
  • 08-07-2024 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Now am I scared and sweating? Yes I am. But it looks like an inevitable situation. My family have been attempting to move houses for a while now. And because of how small my town is and multiple other problems you can only guess, this task has been extremely difficult. Now our apartment has been put on sale and we HAVE to relocate without a choice. The question tho was “where?”
    it was amazing new that my mother got a house. But not so amazing news that this house is 1 hour away and in a completely different sub county and county! And this is happening either this December or January next year with my MOCKs just knocking at the door and my Leaving Cert waving at me right after! I’m so lost because I know the Scheme of work or Curriculum in whatever school I end up attending will be different form my present school a ton. Not to mention such big change and adaptation to a new environment in my FINAL year as well as the subject availability. It’s ridiculous to do this and I considered the idea of taking some bus to my school from there everyday but it’s simply not reasonable.

I don’t know if I will be able to avoid this situation but I’m just lost and looking for some advice

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you got a friend with a spare room - could you stay with them Mon -Thurs and go to your new family home at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chiChi246

Unfortunately I think my parents will heavily oppose this idea even if I did happen to find a friend with a spare room. Because it'll basically mean I'll be partially living with a friend.

However, I'll still ask my friends and see. Then take the next next step from there

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭AnnieinDundrum

don’t panic.
    it seems impossible but based on what I saw with my 2 kids in recent years the work was 99% completed by the time they did the mocks. (January) It was all revision after that.
    Keep track of what you’ve covered and what’s remaining. So if you do end up moving close to your mocks you’ll have a good handle on what’s cover/remaining and anything you are struggling with.

maybe you can sit your mocks in your current school.

Talk to your teachers about the imminent disruption and ask them for help.

Could you manage to complete revision on your own? Some people can, others not. You don’t have to go to school but you might prefer to.

Ask for advice from your teachers for any subjects with projects such as art.

And also ask your form head or who ever is appropriate about the process of registration for the leaving and saying where you’ll be sitting it. I don’t know how that works.

Also check out schools in the new area, could you commute there from September instead of January? Is there a school half way (in commute time) that would be a good choice for your final year?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement