Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closest Golf Clubs

Options
  • 08-07-2024 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Played the Gold Coast in Dungaravan last week and passed Dungarvan GC on the way. About 3K distance between them. Got me thinking, what are the closest , unrelated, golf clubs in Ireland. I guess Adare and Adare Manor must be up there. Any others?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The Island and Corballis, they touch, they used to have a combined comp years back, 9 from one course and 9 from the other.

There's the old story of a couple of Japs who teed off in the Island and finished on 18 in Corballis not knowing what happened

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

Kilmashogue and Stackstown literally have a wall between them. There’s an annual competition where you play 9 of each course and go through a hole in the wall, called “hole in the wall comp”!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I think Rathfarnhan, Edmondstown, and The Grange nearly link to each other starting from Rathfarham across to The Grange.

There's also a rake near each other around Dublin, Donabate/Balcarrick, Luttrelstown/Westmanstown/Castleknock/Hermitage is particularly populated with 4 very close

On the other side of the coin, you can see Castlerock clearly from Portstewart but because of the Bann they are 20minutes apart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭paulos53

Naas and Palmerstown would be another set that are next to each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Castlewarden, beech park and Slade valley are pretty close too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭JVince

Make that Naas, Palmerstown AND Killeen. If you chopped down just two rows of hedging you'd have a giant 54 hole golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

2 in Portmarnock beside the beach,the real one that does'nt allow ladies (or maybe they do now??) and the lesser one at the hotel up the road.I'd say half the yanks playing the hotel course think they're playing the real Portmarnock!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The 'real' Portmarnock GC does allow lady members. They changed the rules in 2021. They had to in order to attract tournaments like the R&A's Womens Amateur Championship which they hosted two weeks ago.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/golf/portmarnock-golf-club-votes-to-admit-women-as-members-1.4576084

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Compo82

There's Howth GC and Deerpark too.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭fungie

Baltray and seapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Sipper

Killarney and Castlerosse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ennis and Woodstock Golf Courses about 3.5km apart which is handy (obviously not the closest)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,994 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Co. Louth and Seapoint have tee-boxes back to back. Can't get any closer than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

St annes and royal dublin are seperated by just a road (but you never feel like either encroach)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

Rathmore and Portrush up north. Mourne and RCD, 2 clubs technically.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭soverybored1878

Forgive me if it's already been mentioned but there is Adare Manor Golf Club and then there is 'The' Adare Manor. Each has a green within spitting distance of each other. Looking at them side-by-side on Google Maps on satellite mode is certainly interesting.

Also, a lot of confused tourists book in at at Adare Manor GC and get quite the surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

this type of comment is everything wrong with golf snobs, all wrapped up in one nice post

2 in Portmarnock beside the beach,the real one that does'nt allow ladies (or maybe they do now??) and the lesser one at the hotel up the road.I'd say half the yanks playing the hotel course think they're playing the real Portmarnock!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement