Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion has 4 wires instead of 3

Options
  • 08-07-2024 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

looking at my immersion cable- it has 4 wires instead of 3- why? Can I add a 13a plug on this thing and plug it into a normal socket (socket with a switch to turn on off)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Sorry to be blunt… This is one of those questions where if you have to ask then you don't know what you're up to.

No, you can't attach a 13a plug onto this - a plug isn't designed to take the continuous load of an immersion, and neither is the socket circuit which you might attach it into. It needs to be wired properly and that necessitates an electrician.

The reason for fourth is probably due to the fact that many immersions have two heating elements and either yours does not, or it's not wired. Again - don't go at it, for your own safety and the safety of those in the house - please engage an electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 housedweller

ok understood. Reading up on it it seems that the cables are for the sink/bath heating system.
    Can anyone guide me on linking the cable above to our dual switch below, to get our system up and running?

I can see that my mains cable comes into bottom right : brown to L and blue to N.

But that 4 wire cable - not sure how to wire that part. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭drury..

They're all 4-wire

No point advising

• Registered Users Posts: 19,429 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Advertisement

4 wire is ok for that dual switch. I had originally asked about using a plug into a socket, but going back to using a wall mounted dual switch is fine.

I'm just not sure where the 4wires go into the back of that dual switch unit. This was the original dual switch used before the renovations.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Get an electrician in. Nobody is going to take the risk of telling you what goes where on here as you don't seem to know even vaguely enough about what you're doing.

ok well leaving that rudeness aside….
    If someone is up to DMing the steps that’d be great. Thanks everyone.

As I said, the dual switch was on this immersion so we’d like to put it back on this evening if possible. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Telling you to not put your safety at risk is not rude. You don't know what you're doing, you initially asked if you could do something exceptionally dangerous which is evidence enough of that.

Call a local electrician and you will very possibly get this back on this evening; this is a quick job - for someone who knows what they're doing.

My initial Q was was there a possibility of putting a plug on an immersion- just asking as I could use a timer for it. I was told no so that’s that.

Now my follow up is that the immersion was wired into a dual switch. And does anyone have the wiring instructions for putting this back as it was?

Having wired electric gates, office networks etc I have experience wiring. I was just looking for a bit of friendly advice.

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement

all sorted and back with hot water. Thanks for the DM T. You’re a genius. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Just to point out the fact that by not calling an electrician you have broken the law and undoubtedly invalidated your house insurance if it causes a fire.

There are some things you are simply not allowed to do unless you are qualified, and anything to do with water heating is one of them.

People were not been smart asses.

hear ya. Thanks. It has just gone back to the way it was a few weeks ago so no major issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Everything is a major issue for these people lol

ha indeed. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

I doubt that just plugging back in his immersion would be breaking any laws, similar to replacing a plug, or a cooker

Advertisement