Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree options

Options
  • 08-07-2024 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

For my upcoming wedding, my partner and I have been gifted a present of trees by relatives. I am currently building a house on a site in the countryside so space is not really an issue.

The present is either one large 20yr old tree or 2 smaller ones.

As, I know feck all about trees. What is the the better option here?

Also, what type of tree or trees would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Without knowing your preference, I've really enjoyed my plum tree over the years; my pear tree also is great. Low maintenance, not very large and very productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,334 ✭✭✭secman

You would need to advise of the soil conditions pertaining to the site. We are on very heavy clay and have to be careful, we learned the hard way, we lost many shrubs, trees due to literally drowning in winter and not making spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd go for 2 smaller ones. They have a better chance of getting established, but you would want to be sure you know how to plant them and how to support the roots.

You could go for a silver birch, flowering cherry, acer - possibly a red one, hornbeam, larch. If you are on heavy or wet soil an alder would suit. In a smaller space maybe a crab apple, magnolia.

There are so many possibilities its impossible to list them all. The ones listed are pretty reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭andyd12

Thanks. Soil condition would be good, and classed as well-drained. Surface water is not an issue. The site is also on a slight hill.

From the planning report:

Stay away from alder and willows with that soil, otherwise you should be good to try anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,856 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Other factors that we really need to know is altitude exposure and aspect. One extreme would be say East facing on the coast which would be very limiting compared to South facing well inland.

100% go for smaller trees. Some simply fail to do well if planted as anything other than very small plants Eucalypts are one that always fall over if planted as larger trees and the same goes for an old favorite of mine the Tulip Tree.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, Silver Birch

I'd go a little more up market with Betula utilis subsp. jacquemontii - Himalayan birch

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/386979/betula-utilis-subsp-jacquemontii/details

The OP says space isn't an issue so I'd leave the lower branches on any trees rather than pruning them like lollypops.

Edit> Anther one for good coloured bark Prunus serrulata Japanese cherry.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/14026/prunus-serrulata-%28d%29/details

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭standardg60

Only one proper answer here, Cornus controversa 'variegata', the wedding cake tree🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Wouldn't native sliver birch be better in Ireland ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Tell them you'd rather the finished product from the tree and to stick 200 quid in cash in a card for you.

The himalayan birch is a lovely tree and if you are just getting one or a couple I would agree, if you are going for a grove or woodland effect go with the native.

I have just trimmed the bottom branches off mine, not to make lollipops but just so that they look like trees rather than bushes, just the bottom 4 ft or so. It also makes them easier to mow round.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Better off with native species if you care any the environment/habitat/biodiversity. Most don't judging by the amount of laurel planted in place of ripped out hedges though. Personally, I'd go for oak or hazel or a load maythorns which are a beautiful tree or bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Wild Cherry, and Hornbeam would be a nice pairing, with contrasting shape when growing , get them as young as possible and bare root if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Just a small point regarding one tree versus two. It's an aesthetic thing but two of the same tree can look odd if planted together. You're better to go for two different tree types. Alternatively, if you're going down the single variety route ( eg. Silver birch/ wedding tree/ prunus) plant in odd numbers ( ie 3 or 5 trees) .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

If you would like to plant in an area with a fairly wet terrain, I would suggest a Swamp oak. I planted a mature one that was probably 12 years old 30 years ago when my First son was born. It grew very fast, I used to add winter fertilizer sticks every fall, and the tree is majestic with a pyramid shape like a large conifer. Great looking bronze colored leaves in autumn kept through winter, falling in the spring, which in Canada, was a definite bonus. I miss it, that was two properties back, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Take a walk around the neighbourhood now and again in the autumn. Notice trees which you like and see if they offer autumn colours too. If they are thriving then growing conditions in your site should also suit them. Does it have to be two or one. Sometimes a small grove is nicer and younger trees are more likely to succeed. Cost should be the same.
    Don’t put anything too close to the house and consider expected height and width.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Go for the smaller trees option. Since it's to commemorate a wedding, I'd go with one of the lovely flowering cherrys. It'll light up your life with a touch of joy each spring. And for the other, an oak - put it somewhere where it has plenty of space to grow and spread. It'll take a few years but you'll be rewarded by the time any kids you might be lucky to have are in college!

Thanks, the site is in the midlands so no great altitude

With my limited knowledge, I was leaning towards native trees. Something authentic about them.

Haha that had crossed my mind also. As long as they dont hold the tree thing over us forever more

Quite the active group we have here, many thanks to all for the input. I had to google almost every tree suggested, some beauties

• Advertisement

Thank you.

Yes my gf is quite keen on the cherry blossoms. But is the flowering window not quite short for these?

A nice oak tree would be pretty cool

The cherry blossom would be short lived but partly why I suggested the Japanese Cherry as it has interesting red bark and can have good autumn colour.

Just because I started on bark I'll continue. Another I like myself is the paper bark Maple Acer griseum also known for good autumn colour.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/197/acer-griseum/details

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The flowering is short enough lived as you say but that makes it all the more special. It's a fine thing to see and heralds the longer warmer days ahead.

You don't have to get one of those blousey double cherries that are imo more suited to urban gardens. There are lots of cherries that have a lot of smaller, more delicate flowers; some with red leaves that are very attractive. Also cherries that will flower in the middle of winter which is lovely to see, Prunus subhirtella Autumnalis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭macraignil

My suggestions for trees that could work out nice would be Sorbus aria(Whitebeam) mostly for their bright leaf colour in spring, Prunus cerasifera Nigra(black cherry plum) for nice spring flowers and interesting leaf colour for the summer and crab apple. If space is not an issue then I'd be planting more than two trees and making a drawing of how I'd space them out to all fit in the area available when mature. As others have said smaller trees can settle in faster and so overtake ones planted at a more mature size. Whitethorn and oak would be some of the better ones for wildlife.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭geographica

Yes, and any wind in May and they are less in bloom

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭iniscealtra

an oak would be lovely. If you want blossom fruit trees. If its good land a plum would be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Do you know how much some 20 yr old trees cost?

I have a silver birch that I was given as a gift when I moved into the house, one of those €30/40 8ft trees in a pot. It is doing well and looks lovely. There are also some dozen or so silver birches that were subsequently put in as 2 year old bare root whips, a single stem about 2 to 3ft high, put in later the same year and some of them the following year. All of them have caught up with the first one and in a couple of cases got bigger trunks as well as the same or taller height. The speed at which the younger ones have grown is amazing, and all survived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Some more feedback :) I recently purchased 2 fruit cherry trees on dwarf root stock. I'm a little concerned already, year 2, at the amount of growth they are able to manage. I think they are growing far too fast, of course I can trim back every winter but 3 feet per growing season looks very messy.

Advertisement