Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query About my Dad

Options
  • 08-07-2024 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

My dad aged 68 is after turning senile and paranoid , he lives alone in a flat and has being threatening his landlord with his Solicitor lately

he has a crutch for his hip and has sores on his feet and should be in a Nursing Home which he keeps saying no to .

is it possible to get a parent arrested for his mental health and his accommodation by the Gardai ? i have mentioned his doctor to him but he gets very upset as soon as i talk to him?

i am at my wits end and suffering from Anxiety to do with this situation he is in

any help Appreciated

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Im recently in a similar situation, luckily my da is seeing a doctor on occasion, though not paying much heed, he has some sort of tests next week, I'll keep you posted

Mine has depression and is very very stubborn about everything

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Alexus25

Natural to have cognitive decline as we age, though dementia is becoming more common, he'd have to be of unsound mind or a risk to himself or others to be restrained, more info in the mental health act

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health-services/mental-health/mental-health-act-2001/

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Old age isnt pleasant. Our body starts to heal slower. Our mind becomes fuzzy. Our friends start to drop off.

Every man believes he is king of his castle, and rightly so. It is very disturbing to realise you may not be able to live independently any more.

TThose threats against the landlord are idle. There is no intent and he is convinced everyone is out to get him. Not sure how seriously the landlord takes it. At soe stage more serious decisions will be made regarding a nursing home.

Advertisement