Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House extension adaption grant

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Any renovations which are aimed at making the house more accessible for a person with a disability can qualify for a vat refund.

i fully accept this, im just trying to find where this is included for.

Its not in the housing adaptation grant documentation, ive been though enough application forms to know this:

https://assets.gov.ie/119595/fb68af61-2429-414e-8f61-95ddc380f8ec.pdf

it specifically says "It does not cover the VAT cost of the work. You can reclaim (get back) the VAT from Revenue after you have paid for the work (see www.revenue.ie for more information)."

the issue i have is i cannot find anything on the revenue.ie site which allows for it.

i will contact revenue directly and revert back here when i get an update.

thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭buzzing147

Housing adaption grant for people with disability. Think you can claim back the vat, when jobs completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Go to you myaccount on revenue.ie.

Erepayments

Make a cliam

Tick the VAT box and hit continue

Form 61A

you then get an options to tick a box which says " Does this claim relate to building works"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,642 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

excellent thanks. i found it in the 61A form

"The provisions of the Order extend to works carried out on homes to adapt them to make them more accessible for persons with disabilities. The provisions do not apply to the actual construction of a home but would apply, for example, to certain alterations or adaptations which would be necessary to meet the particular needs of the person with the disability."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Thanks. That is good info to have. Also covered below.

https://assets.gov.ie/119595/fb68af61-2429-414e-8f61-95ddc380f8ec.pdf

the grant covers up to 95% of the cost, and you claim back Vat at 13.5%, at first I thought it created an opportunity to pay 5% and claim back 13.5%. But at a closer look. It seems like the grant is ex-vat only. Which makes more sense.

If 52k I the total cost. 95% of the ex-vat is well over the 30k limited approved. So should get it all. And then can claim back the 6185 Vat. Out of pocket is <16k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I got a 30K grant. The overall costs of the work for the disability part of the extension was 46K inc Vat. So we claimed back 5541.71

So they can claim back the 6000e vat after the work is completed and paid for?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lads, thanks a million for this discussion. We've just been through the grant & extension process for our in-laws to add a downstairs bedroom. Works are finished and final payment is being transferred over tomorrow. Knowing the heel-tapping joy that any VAT refund will bring my Scots Father in law no end of joy😉

Just wondering, how long did it take to do? And was house liveable in during the works?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭the14thwarrior

While you don't need an architure, they can be both useful and expensive. Useful if they can provide a drawing etc. (although not needed) and expensive when they look at a property and add it nice things like they are on a show on TV - not covered by the grant. and the council won't care - the only thing the council will be looking at it is the OT report - if the works are not in compliance they won't pay. The key items are the sanitaryware once the room sizes and turning space are completed - DOC M packs are not allowed under most grant schemes so please don't get them, and make sure the builder understands this.

Its not a McDonalds accessible toilet with a bird size sink smacked beside the toilet so you can't get up; the drop down rails should be long, and no need to dislocate your shoulder reaching them. People get stuck on lots of stuff - but you need to be able to help someone up from the toilet and have a shower not too big/not too small and preferably not a wet room that will make the whole room a slip hazard if not done correctly.

I'd say 52,000 was quite cheap considering two rooms and I would be asking if the flooring, tiling and other items are included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭banie01

You're asking a how long is a piece of string question. The answer from any one person including myself will vary based on factors such as type of house, detached, semi-d, terrace, townhouse and so on. The scope of any groundworks needed before extension cam start.

From beginning of grant application to finish and handover in our case began in late 2022. The grant application was quick with great Comms from the Westmeath CoCo. We engaged the services of an Arch Tech to design and spec the extension and take care of planning permission as the extension was to front and side, along with ensuring it met the disability requirements for access and shower/bathroom. Final handover was 2 months ago.

The house was livable during the entirety apart from week or so when the doorway connecting extension and main house were cut through. The in-laws went on holiday for that week.

Yea I understand, what I'm asking is how long the contractor took to build it, they are at a stage now where work might be commencing soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,376 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

That’s a very scaremongering view. An architect can’t add “nice thing like they are in a show” behinds the owners back. It’s the owners choice, they decide scope and approved of veto inclusion. I mean, I'm sure the OP knows what the grant is for and isn’t planning a new home cinema. 😁

Different councils may have different requirements, but unless they provide those as clear instructions, then following appropriate accessibility guidelines is a pretty good place to start. In fact, at the upper end, those guidelines are far better then the typical install.

and preferably not a wet room that will make the whole room a slip hazard if not done correctly.

A wet room design is far far superior to a a step up tray. A tray is a trip hazard, and would be non-compliant with building regulations for accessibility. A properly designed wet room is not a slip hazard. "If not correctly" is an irrelevant concern, anything is an issue if not done correctly. The solution is to designed and construct things correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,521 ✭✭✭Ginger83

I have been through this process twice with two home adaptation grants for an extension.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having a professional overseeing all work and I say this from experience

Advertisement