Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A bit of a shame, or an ideal opportunity for a guitar loving euromillions winner?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭ec18

should be in the rock and roll museum or even the history one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm a huge Rory fan and have had the past pleasure of meeting both Rory and his brother Donal. I'm at a loss to understand why his guitars are being sold. I seriously doubt it's just for the money as personal wealth can't be an issue. But I consider it quite tragic the prospect of Rory's guitars falling into hands who may never let them see the light of day again. Not only that, it's equally possible they could be acquired purely for investment purposes in the same way fine art is. It would be a travesty should that happen. The state should acquire the most treasured of this kit, including the hallowed Strat. At the very least, they're important artifacts in the musical history and heritage of our nation, and should be preserved by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭whitelaurel

can’t see it costing that much tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

It's one of the most famous guitars in the world. I can see it making seven figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭martco

ah he's revered in serious guitarist circle sometimes referred to as "the guitarists guitarist"…Gary Moore, Hendrix, Marr, Slash, Brian May, Clapton, Page…played with Jerry Lee Lewis..Stones wanted him..he's one of the giants of guitar basically

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Kirk Hammett reportedly paid $2m for greeny; Peter green's LP burst.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

its a shame imho. Lots of wealthy musicians who could buy it with loose change.

Our Minister for Culture should make an offer. Quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

apparently he didnt, apparently he didnt pay anywhere near it, he just refused to, but he wont disclose what he actually did pay for it, but at least its out of private collectors hands and actually is being played….

…gutted to see rorys guitars being sold, real rock history, hope a respectful buyer steps forward….

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And plays the fuc out of it too! No glass case for greeny😀

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Dr.Tom

Kirk payed less than half a million dollars for the Les Paul. Shame to see Rory's items up for sale but I guess Donal has his reasons.

Id like to see a current guitarist purchase it and let it see the light of day and be used as it should and as Rory no doubt would have wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,315 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

seen that in an interview alright, but its very hard to tell how much he really did, but at least its being played, love to see it

apparently rorys strat is in bits and unplayable, seen an article on it years ago, its a shame really, was lucky to see it on display years ago in dublin

Advertisement