Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time contacts and frustration.

Options
  • 09-07-2024 9:18am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is probably going to be a really , really stupid question but can anyone advise me on how to put in and take out contacts.

I need glasses for being long sighted and decided to try out contacts - Optician said Im suitable for them so I ordered a trial packet of monthly lenses - multi focals I believe they are called.

Had to go to the opticians and show them that I could take them in and out 5 times per eye before I could take them home.

Long story short - 2.5 hours later and after much frustration I managed to get them in twice but couldnt get them out - optician had to remove them for me - quite embarrassing to be honest.

However when I did have them in the difference was amazing compared to glasses - I could focus both up close and at a distance and I can really see myself using them full time.

So has anyone any hints and tips for getting them in and out - Ive to go back this weekend for another "attempt" and I dont really want to give up on them without giving it a go.

Ive watched numerous you tube videos where it looks so easy but it doesnt seem to be that easy for a new user.

I felt like an idiot last Saturday trying to get them in and out for 2.5 hours!!!!!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

My trick for removing lenses is that I imagine my eye is a clock. When I want to remove the lenses, I look up towards "12" on the clock. While continuing to look up, I touch my eye and the lens and slide the lens down towards "6" on the clock (using my index finger) and the pinch across the eye (with thumb and index finger) to remove the lens. I never move my eye away from looking towards 12.

For inserting the lenses, I sit at a desk with a small mirror. I stare at my eye in the mirror as I approach it with the lens on my index finger. I do not take my gaze away from the mirror at all. As you get near your eye with the lens, keep staring in the mirror and as you move closer, the lens will jump from your finger on to you eye (do not push the lens onto your eye). Keep staring in the mirror; try to resist the urge to blink and then look UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, DOWN and then blink really slowly.

I would also say that not to spend 2.5 hours on Saturday trying to do it. At most, I would say 40 minutes and then make another appointment. When frustration with contact lenses takes hold, it can be hard to shake it off.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

You're just overthinking it. To put them in go in front of a mirror and turn on the shaving light. Pull the bottom of your eyelid down between your cheek and eyelid. Have the contact perched on your dominant hands index finger and just drop it in from the 6o clock point on the contact. You'll blink and that secures it onto your eye.

Taking out is way easier as I've even managed this (for years) when extremely drunk.

Again use your weaker hand to pull your eyelid down just above your cheekbone and then use your index finger and thumb to just pinch it out.Don't be afraid of it, put your index finger in until it touches the contact and then pinch.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Kurooi

Starting with reassurance, it gets easier, fast. The early days are awful and you will be uncomfortable, which you are now.

Your mind is against touching your eye, while getting hold of the lens requires a decisive movement. That's it - decisive pinch. remember the lens are a layer between your eye and the fingers, remember you're not touching your eye. Make sure they're there, see the little outline to confirm they're there, but once you do - go and pinch don't hesitate. Anything other than a pinch is just moving the lens around rather than taking it off.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Thanks for all the replies. Ill give it a go this weekend again. Determined to get it right.

I think its all down to some blink reflex that my eye basically has a hissy fit when it sees something coming towards it - I take it that its a learning response that needs to be conditioned to.

Advertisement