Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant reducing

• 09-07-2024 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question in regards to the solar grant. Why are they reducing it each year now? Do they reckon installation costs will come down in future or whats the thinking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sunjava

Something stinks about the whole grant/SEAI process. I think it's the industry that are pulling all the strings. A grant should be for the public whereas it all appears to go to the providers.

An example, I investigated getting the SEAI low cost loan with BOI. I had already done an SEAI assessment and received all the supporting documentation. Turns out the bank need a specific summary report so I went back to the OSS that done my assessment looking for the report. He said my assessment had been done on an estimate basis and that I'd need another one done. So I need to get another assessment in order to get a loan. I wasn't planning on using a OSS so it all seems a bit pointless, job for the boys.

Specifically on the solar panels I'm not sure why they are reducing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I think it has become obvious now that these SEAI grants arent actually for the consumer, they're for the installers. Thats the bit that the SEAI wont say out loud but ultimately the grants are there to incentivise and subsidise builders to get into installing renewable energies and insulating houses because there wasnt enough companies offering these services. As more and more companies go into retrofitting and solar installations market demand will be met and the grant will reduce.

Of course it doesnt help that all the SEAI marketing is that the grant is for you but it really isnt and the system is working as the SEAI always intended. More companies are now offering these services which was their main objective with the grant system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to go the pay as I can afford route. Will eventually mount at bottom of garden so best scenario for me money wise is to do bit by bit .

Bury waving pipes for future cables, install mount system myself and probably panels too.

After this I'll give it to a local company to do the rest.

Advertisement