Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's going on with all this veg??? (2nd Earlies, Courgettes, Cucumbers, Peas)

• 09-07-2024 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Having such bad luck this year, even with crop that was very successful last year!

Can anyone identify what might be going wrong with the below:

Second Earlies: Planted in very early April, seemed to be going well, but now they're yellowing, not going any further (compared to the main crop which was planted much later and is much healthier and taller). I dug up 3 plants and they gave very very few potatoes and very small.

Courgettes: had the best courgettes last year, but now they seem to start developing and then they start rotting, some rotting, some have some kind of mould on them. So far I got one good fully grown courgette out of the plant.

Cucumbers: not sure if anything is wrong, but they don't look right? They're hard to the touch, but they look wrinkly. Maybe they need to keep growing?

Peas: had a great crop last year and have a few plants again, the others going well but one suddenly turned yellow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

It's been colder this year, lots of rain and very little sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The only common factor, to me, is waterlogged soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'd have to agree.

I'm not a potato grower (except for a few escapes from the compost bin), but I do wonder if the yellowing leaves suggests a lack of nitrogen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

After just reading the title my answer was going to be "The Weather" this year. After reading the whole post my answer is still "The Weather".

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,810 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed. I only have peas and strawberries, in a raised bed, and they are dismal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Julia_G

I was thinking this too, but there is good drainage everywhere, so I'm not sure:( Some of these are in a polytunnel and some outside, so different environments too.

I hope it is 'the weather' as the other posters say and not something dreadful I did :))

Thank you, I'll investigate! They are well fed with manure, so I would expect them to have a good nutritious balance, but will have a google….

The ground wouldn't necesarily have to be waterlogged, even with good drainage the amount of rain nutrients just get flushed out. It's been fairly dry here for the last month or so, even with the few spells of rain we've had the ground is taking its time soaking it in and where there's grass it's still yellowing, despite all the rain earlier in the year. Maybe the constant soaking over the winter into spring has left everything nutrient deficient. I'm not growing any fruit or veg this year but feel like I'm feeding the flowers all the time and any slow release stuff I put in over spring seems to not have lasted or has been washed out. On top of that slugs have been a nightmare this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Every year is different, what does well some years often not so well in others. What variety of spuds have you got? I haven't grown any this year as disappointed with return in last couple. Grown more onions and greens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Mr321

It looks like blight. Some parts of ireland have been hit harder with blight then others already this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭MacDanger

The spuds look like blight to me also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I've had courgettes in the past like that, its 100% caused by damp. They need to be watered but they also need sun, they don't like being wet for long, a delicate balance in Ireland outside. Not growing this year but i suspect if I had they would have been like yours again

A couple of my mangetout plants looks like that but overall they are doing OK, i always have a few yellowing plants of those though.

Overall its been damp and cloudy a lot of the time so far this summer so lots of bugs in the air i guess.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

Blossom end rot is caused by lack of calcium in the fruits. Calcium deficiency reduces cell membrane permeability and this leads to swelling of the cells followed by leakage and destruction of the membrane structure. There is also a reduction in growth of new cells. This causes the characteristic dark, sunken areas.

courgette blossom end rot the above is taken from rhs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

That would be the reason in good weather but cold and damp will do the same.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Thank you! Yes, I think the courgette issue is definitely wet-related. Last year, they were outside and they were perfect. I don't know why I thought I'd try them indoors this time🙄 We reduced the watering in the polytunnel anyway and are letting in more air

Advertisement