Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Still not advocating GS. But I’ll this again, A silver bullet manger isn’t the answer, and maybe, just maybe GS could have played a part in getting us where we need to be, and improved the standards of not only running the club properly, but managing the squad of players we bring into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I think you would certainly have more comfort at the start that GS would be more willing to work within the set up INEOS want. I don't think there is full alignment with EtH, because his current contract was just a triggered extention rather than a negotiated agreement. IMO the triggered extention is because they couldn't come to an agreement.

But feeling a manager would be more willing to work within the responsibilities INEOS are happy with also doesn't make him a correct pick. I don't think GS is good tactically, I think he is very conservative - both in how he plays and who he plays. He is arguably a good cup manager, but I don't think his style gets success in a league.

You are right there is likely no perfect manager for us, but I just can't see how Southgate should have his name in there at all. I'd be looking for someone who has proved themselves in a league, and has proven an ability to coach a side. GS certainly hasn't proved himself for any club, in any league, and I don't have any clue if he is a good coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Zirkzee done according to Talksport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Charlie69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,349 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Quags

Has anyone seen him play? like proper watched and not youtube 😂

First here we go of the summer for us.
    Happy with that.
    I think there is plenty of reason to be sceptical of the kid, but I also think there are plenty of reasons to be optimistic, and I think it is a very smart deal - something United have not been good at doing.

I reckon he has the potential to pair very well with Bruno and Rashford. while also not making it impossible for Hojlund to play and progress himself.

There are concerns - his lack of outright pace, not a natural goal scorer and he doesn't use his size as well as he could. But I don't think pace is going to be an issue, I have to hope the better movement and progression i believe he can facilitate will have a very good impact on the goalscoring of Rashford, Bruno and Garnacho. As for using his size? Maybe that is an element of his game we can coach?

The funny thing is, from a budget point of view if he is on anywhere around 100k a week (and it could be a lot more, I have no idea) then his budget cost per year is entirely covered by the wages no longer paid to Martial. 250k pw = 13million per year. 40m transfer + 100k a week on a 5 year contract = 13million per year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I saw him play for Bayern and remember thinking he'd be brilliant.

Ruud and Hake confirmed, Van Der Gagg and Benni McCarthy gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Ruuuuuuuuuuuud

• Advertisement

Lack of pace? From what I've seen he looks quick enough and I seen this on transfermarkt

But what sort of player is Zirkzee? “He is a very fast centre-forward despite his physical size,” Dietl said. “Physically strong, very good in the air, good shooting technique, and good at defending the ball and pressing. Gifted with excellent quality, he has become one of the most technical strikers in Serie A. He often drops back to the Trequartista line and even further behind, moving freely across the entire offensive front. Zirkzee is a complete forward who scores in every way, proving extremely unpredictable to opposing defenders.” 

Now again I've only seen youtube bits so I can't be 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

He had very little time last night and managed to make something happen. A bit baffling he wasn't used more in the tournament but I guess he would occupy the same space as Simons who seems to be their main man creatively.

If it means a reduced role for Højlund until he develops his link up player I'm all for it!

ive watched some clips and the usual youtube analysis.

one concern i have is the same issue england are dealing with. he likes to drop deep and occupy the space bruno would be in. but i'm sure ETH and the boys will be able to figure that out.

next CB and CM please.

happy to see him not going to saudi, and all the best to him.

Brunos best came with martial in that same type of role. goal scoring bruno like to run beyond the striker, so this can fit.

Same with Rashford, he can attack the space left by Zirkzee or run in beyond to the passes from Zirkzee.

I think it is a signing done with the intention of getting more out of those two specifically, rather than a worry as to how we'd get it to work.

apparently 95k per week, so a great deal re FFP. the wages really are the killer for FFP and it also limits the ability to sell.

re your reply above, that makes sense. hopefully it works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,433 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great hear deal done this soon. Hopefully this may be start of what should have been for past decade.

• Advertisement

Donny finally gone, I had such high hopes for him but out ye go. We need a ruthless selling policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Officer999

High hopes Ruud can get Rashford back motoring again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Got 2 minutes last night, worryingly he's behind former United rejects Depay and big Wout in that Dutch team.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The views of Ronald Koeman and who he wanted in his team at Euro 2024 are not something worth your time.

For example the Dutch had other players that have done very well at club level last season like Frimpong and Van De Ven not getting much time.

Post edited by DM_7 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Manager's position clarified and put to bed,

New coaching staff in place.

Upgrades to Carrington underway.

Ashworth finally in place, new transfer gur ( can't recall his name) and Berrada due next week(?).

Transfers in and out starting to happen, and there seems to be a plan in motion for the incoming transfers.

Ineos look to have scraped off the rust and oiled up the machine behind the scenes. It is also encouraging they can manage several of the above at the same time, something sorely lacking the last decade.

If they can effect half as much change on the pitch this coming season, then we will definitely be heading in the right direction.

Well he did get them into the last 4.

Lot's of people thought Southgate hadn't a clue when he dropped Sancho and we all know how that worked out. I'd take Koeman's opinion over someone watching a few YouTube clips.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

How about the scouts and recruitment team at united then?

Listen I hope he's a great player but I'm sceptical of every transfer because of the mess we made in the last 10 years.

Hopefully they're not the same scouts that thought Van Der Beek was any good.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Southgate has nothing to do with it.

I have not watched Zirkzee on you tube or anywhere else, I have no clue how he will get on at United.

In terms of the worry you put forward, I can say I have watched enough of Koeman teams and seen enough of his career as a manager to not see his judgement as something to give cause for concern (or optimism).

If you feel different about Koeman for some reason fair enough, on the other hand if you have nothing to back up your worry about why he may not have been on the Euro 2024 team that is fair enough too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

wonder which academy player will step up this season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Still so much debt left, damn those Glazers!

Friday Fart :

THE SUN

Manchester United are lining up a shock move for Netherlands Euro 2024 hero Xavi Simons.

Dani Olmo's admirers, who include Manchester United, have been given another five days to trigger his £55m release clause - thanks to Spain's run to the Euros final.

EVENING STANDARD

Manchester United are set for talks with Ferdi Kadioglu's camp over his transfer from Fenerbahce.

Can;t see Olmo being a realistic target. IMO we would need to selll Bruno to have a reason for it, and no way we are selling Bruno within the next 8 days.

Kadiolglu would be a good target if we are to sell AWB, but nothing seems to be happening with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Read on the Athletic that Leipzig would take a similar fee throughout this summer for Olmo. Very unlikely to be in for him as things stand, but if Bruno was to be sold then Olmo would be an excellent signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Lauras Law

Fully agree about the Glazers but it's great to see another positive step being taken by the new regime. It hilarious that some people were saying that INEOS/Ratcliffe was just a Glazer 2.0. It's fantastic too see the impact they've been having behind the scenes in the space of 4 to 5 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

According to TransferMarkt, Olmo has missed 66 games over the last 3 seasons as a result of 7 different injuries, and that's excluding those he missed from illness/sickness.

Not sure I like the sound of that, pretty sick of injury prone players at this stage.

Injury record, and his stats, would be somewhat of a worry alright. When he plays he looks very good. But i don't know how well it transfers to effectiveness.

Still people dislike Bruno cause he plays too many low percentage passes, so swapping him for someone the opposite of him, including availability, might appeal!

It's just paper talk throwing our name is for clicks.

probably, in terms of immediate and actioned interest.

but I wouldn't doubt that Olmo is on a list of players for United to looks at if Bruno was to leave, and that is a list that should have been drawn up for this summer with the possibility of Bruno leaving being quite real - even if it turns out to just be the agent trying to pressure us.

• Advertisement

“I think we did well. We achieved what we wanted to achieve, but we can’t sit still,”

Yep, totally on board EtH. We certainly did well last season. Absolutely nailed those aims.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭davemckenna25

What were the aims the club had that he didn't meet?

Now, not your aims as Eth isn't talking about your aims... the clubs aims.

Yes, we all wanted a higher finish than 8th but we don't know what the clubs aims were outside of league position so maybe give it a break on the Eth bashing.

4th and the CL.

The club aims are ALWAYS CL football, as we need it for budget/sponsors.

Making it through the group stage of the CL is always a budgetted aim too.

Finishing last in the CL group, and missing out on CL football are certainly not the aims the club had going into last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

It's a puff piece for the official club website, what exactly would you expect him to say?

Was he supposed to put the boot into all and sundry?

Heres his comments after the FA final.

"When I took over, it was a mess at United. We are on our way to construct a team for the future. We'll go with the ups and downs.

"What you see is the team is developing, the team is winning, at the end of the day it is about winning trophies."

"Two trophies in two years is not bad," the Dutchman added. "Three finals is not bad, but we have to keep going.

"I'm not satisfied with it. We have to do better. If they don't want me anymore, I go anywhere else to win trophies because that is what I did my whole career."

It's tedious having to read the digs for every possible reason, it really is.

He could have said last season wasn't good enough. He has said it before.

Its not that difficult.

Saying it was good, that we acheived our aims, is absolutely laughable.

He said this in May:

"It was a very tough season for us,” Ten Hag said. “We know it's not good enough, by far. Simple. There are reasons but, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. It's United. You have to finish higher and this is not good enough.”

Honestly, what is wrong with that? What is wrong with saying that, again?

How does: 'You have to finish higher and this is not good enough' tally with 'I think we did well. We achieved what we wanted to achieve'.

But, to be fair, I could be reading what he has said today completely wrong. IMO (especially with the 'but' bit at the end) it reads as a comment on last season and the changes we are making (we did well, but we can't sit still).

it COULD be that it is directly talking about the hires. 'We did well (to hire Ruud and Hake). We acheived our aims (of getting in two quality coaches'. And the 'But' is maybe supposed to be 'because' or something like that.

As I say, to me it read as a comment on last season, but he may have meant something completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

IT WAS A PUFF PIECE FOR THE CLUB WEBSITE.

Wallowing in negativity is not good for the mind and there have been numerous positive changes implemented at the club in just a few months.

I DON'T CARE WHERE HE SAYS IT.

He is communicating to the fans, and this is the message he gives them. that 8th and the FA Cup was good, was our aim.

IMO, the only way forward under EtH is for him to recognise his own culpability in what happened last season. Comments that indicate things went well, or the reasons for it going wrong were all external or bad luck, don't give me any confidence in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's slightly concerning but also when Argentina won the world cup they were picking Otamendi over Martinez and I don't think anyone here would have swapped Martinez for Otamendi for Utd.

Sometimes international managers stay loyal to certain players who have got them to a tournament or who have never let them down in the past.

I won't read too much into it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭NITRO95

I'm pretty sure the way forward for ETH is to work with his new bosses which he is doing. The two new coaches coming in and MVG and Benni leaving would indicate that's what he is doing.

I'm not saying you have to like it, you're entitled to have and share your opinion, but reading into every detail of what ETH says will drive you crazy. Last season wasn't great but we won 1/4 trophies available to us. Sadly based on the last decade that's an achievement that doesn't happen regularly for the club. ETH repeatedly saying last year wasn't good enough (you've linked him saying it, you know he's said it already) won't achieve anything.

ETH and the club have moved on from last season and are focusing on the coming season. As Gato says there's been numerous positive moves made already and plenty of positive noises. If this coming season in any way begins to resemble last season then I'm sure INEOS won't hesitate to get rid of ETH.

Advertisement