Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

I wonder if the club is leaking this name, and perhaps other names recently, to make a point for transfer and contract negotiations (e.g. Bruno) that they won't be held to ransom over any player anymore, that they have options and can easily move on to the next. Playing the agents at their own game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

“I think we did well. We achieved what we wanted to achieve, but we can’t sit still,”

Haven't watched the video but is he actually referring to last season, or to the changes made at the club since then?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

The more I read some of the comments about ETH/the club and their public comms etc the more I realise some people must have obviously never worked in management or as a manager themselves

Leadership 101 is focusing on the positives in any outward facing or public comms and messaging

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Isn't Bruno signed up for another few years anyway, up until 2027.

Honestly, he can go find a club to pay 100M for him or he can sit back down and get on with playing ball. The club shouldn't be entertaining him on this one.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Greenwood linked to Napoli now according to Di Marzio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Happy with Evans staying on. Hopefully we need him a lot less, but a no brainier to keep him as backup. Also think he could be looking at a coaching role in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Sancho back in training apparently.

You'd imagine he's swallowed his pride and apologised. You'd expect if we get a decent bid for him we will let him go.

At least gives us some ability to say we're happy to keep him if our value isn't met.

If ETH is happy enough for him to be back, fine.

I would worry it's basically gonna be a game of bukeroo to see when to blows up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Re Sancho, he's clearly apologised to the manager and ETH is happy to move on from the incident. Although I'd rather see him sold, if the manager is willing to accept him back into the fold then so am I. I'd hazard to guess it's due largely to the lack of any real interest from any big team but hopefully he can be a viable option for the season ahead.

Hopefully that positive discussion was "I'm sorry and I'll try impress the lads on boards.ie"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The problem with Sancho is that apology or not, he has to be considered a high risk of further toxicity in the dressing room. It will be just a matter of time before the next incident.

They can play happy families for now, but if United want to change the culture in the dressing room then Sancho has to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

So that's both Rashford and Sancho that have had positive talks with ETH in recent weeks. Hopefully both can now get their heads down and start producing on the pitch. Whether it's at Utd or elsewhere this will be a big season for both players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

lets assume himself and ETH have sorted out their issues.

is he good enough to remain at the club (i get the same can be said for another pricey right winger), or should we look to sell him cos he wont reach the levels of 3 years ago?

i suppose with the initial investment + the wages it'll be very hard to shift him, hence this reconciliation.

I don’t think it’s clear that he apologised at all. I think if he did, it would have been said. Instead what’s being said is they’ve both agreed to draw a line under it and move on.

It’s more likely than not that he stays this season, so they have to make use of him and agreeing to move on without waiting for an apology that probably won’t come, makes sense.

I think this would have been pushed from those above EtH as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭Jofspring

It's also the realisation for these players that Ten Hag isn't going anywhere. It's another reason why sticking with ETH was the right decision. The players probably assumed he would get the bullet so didn't care and felt there wasn't any real consequences long term.

Disagree.

ETH was clear it was up to sancho to apologise. No real reason to think it's gone a different way.

And then look at Antony getting dropped for kicking off, then coming back in. Club treated it in house and said it was an injury.

The club may simply not want to be airing apologies and just want it dealt with and moved on.

The handling of the sancho situation was a sh show in bad people and player moment. Before abd after the final incident. I would expect and hope ashworth and wilcox will be far better at handling this stuff than murtough and Arnold.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I was not expecting Sancho back in training and available for selection news.

Fair play to both for making some level of amends and getting on with football.

As said already, it is an extra positive about keeping a manager (players needing to get in line) but he still needs to go soon enough.

Yeah, that triggering of his one year extension really was a massive vote of confidence and a clear indication he's here long term. No chance we're discussing his position again next summer!

• Advertisement

If he hasn't even done the token apology then he should be nowhere near the squad, I would be incredibly disappointed in Ten Hag if he hasn't stood his ground on this.

Its not about one player or one season, it is about changing the culture so they need to draw a line on these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

can’t see sancho getting near first team

Need him gone to get dm in

No real reason? Of course there is. Do you think the new football structure would allow a player of his value to just train on his own for the summer just because he didn’t apologise to the manager for something that happened a year ago? It serves no benefit for either outcome (selling him or keeping him).

Your last paragraph contradicts what you’re saying at the start. If you think the Sancho situation was a **** show and you think Wilcox and Ashworth would handle it far better, why would they allow it to continue the way it was handled before? They wouldn’t and likely would have told EtH that he needs to sort it out. I highly doubt they would say to him ‘if he doesn’t apologise we’re happy for him to train in isolation until he does’.

“Draw a line” is the message clearly being sent from the club. If there had been an apology I’m sure they would have been quick to brief that.

Considering the players probably thought he was out the door then yes extending the extra year and giving him the two years is an indication to the players he is not going anywhere. Who knows if things go well they could be discussing a further contract extension. Like all managers it could go anyway depending on results. For all we know they said to Ten Hag that they would activate the extension now and if things go well this year they would come back to a further extension next year.

As fans we should try look at things positively and hope that we are looking at an extension next year and not a sacking. If we are already talking about a possible sacking by Christmas or next summer then as a fan it's going to be an awful season to get through. Let's just try enjoy the season ahead and have some optimism and let the cards fall as they will.

I would think they very much want to move him on. That’s easier said that done. This is definitely a better way to try and find a potential buyer than to tell the world you want nothing to do with him and force him to train in isolation or with kids.

I don’t want him to be kept at all. I don’t like his attitude and his performances haven’t been good enough. I’m just saying that I don’t think he apologised.

Again though, this is bigger than moving on one player. Manchester Uniteds goal isn't to sell Sancho, it is to be successful.

Forcing Ten Hag to take Sancho back with no apology does nothing but hurt that goal.

I don't actually believe it to be the case anyway, its far more likely that there was a token apology and that they are quite rightly keeping it all in house. Announcing publicly that he apologised would probably be seen as rubbing it in his face.

It will all come out through the rumor mill anyway, no need to say anything formally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

What would the upside be for Sancho in apologising? It definitely doesn’t sound like something he would do based on what we know about him.

Great man for losing the ball by the looks of it 😂

• Advertisement

A sale is better for him just as much as it is better for the club, unless he really does want to sit on his arse for a few years.

Training and involvement in games can only make it easier to sell him.

The alternative is for the club to announce publicly that Sancho still refuses to engage with the manager and so is suspended yet again. Even a twat like him must realise that this hurts him more than it does the club.

Once Ten Hag retained his job then the only real option left to Sancho was to suck it up and make a fake apology.

so it looks like our attacking options this season are:

LW: rashford, garnacho, sancho

RW: antony, amad, sancho

AM: bruno, mount

CF: rasmus, zirkzee

there is some flexibility in the above.

the question is, is that enough to get say ~80-85 PL goals next season. last season we scored 57 (city 96, liverpool 86, spurs 74, chelsea 77, arsenal 91, villa 76).

*I am presuming pellestri, ericksen and greenwood will all be sold.

as an aside, would people take tammy abraham? unsure what the price would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Abraham has done reasonably well in Italy when available,he got a really bad knee injury at the end of 22/23’ Season,don’t think we have the funds to spend what he would cost in FW positions.

Can see us going for an experienced PL forward either on loan or for a moderate fee in the last few days of the transfer window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't think we will sign a forward after Zirkzee. The intention with hiring Ruud will be to improve the finishing of our current attackers rather then have one out and out goalscorer.

Zirkzee, hojlund and Rashford are enough options for a single striking role. Esp when we need players in other positions before thinking about a 3rd or 4th choice striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,640 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I don't pay any attention to youth football. Any youngsters knocking at the door of our first team who are promising?

Harry Amas, Ethan Wheatley, Ethan Williams and Toby Collyer.

Didn't see this coming, would have wanted more but a buy back clause is good.

Side note, Omar Berrada officialy starts today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Caustic

Apparently only one year left on his contract and he wouldn't sign a new one

• Advertisement

Amass is the only one of them I'd look to.

The it's jack fletcher, lacey, ibragimov.

But I dont think any of them are knocking on the door this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Fair enough then. That fee pretty much covers the Zirkzee transfer for PSR.

Glad to see the club resolving the situation quickly, the links to all those CBs make more sense now with this going on in the background.

Yeh I didn't mention those 3 because no chance they get a sniff of 1st team football same with Harrison, the other 4 will get a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Reading the comments it looks like it's badly worded, the prison sentence is suspended not the probation.

Although presumably if he doesn't pay up sharpish he'll be for the slammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Annoying how himself and Forson both got games with the seniors given their contract situations. Shoulda been tied down longer term before making an appearance. But huge plus we are making a decent chunk for Kambwala.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Good luck to him and fair play to have the guts to not sign a new contract and avoid the loan lottery. He did well enough last season but probably not going to get the games to develop if United are after 2 new CBs.

United have had too many players that they won't play and end up on loan here and there without making any serious progress.

Speaking of which, I wonder what is next for Amad, Pellestri and Hannibal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If he was an Everton player, we would probably be chasing him this summer for 50m.

For his age and position, he did extremely well last year. Maybe he's best to get playing regularly, I would have hoped that he was given the cups this year.

He only has a year left and wanted to leave, the comparison to Branthwaite who has more experience too is just wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Amad and Pellistri should be ahead of Sancho in the squad anyway. Hannibal probably will leave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement