Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Thread 2024/25 - Teamtalk/Transfers/Gossip Mod Note in OP 26.09.24

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭KH25

That Kambwala deal seems surprisingly sensible having the buy-back included. I thought he did well when he played last year so if he kicks on at Villareal its nice to know we will have the clause in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

I imagine with United looking for two CB then it could be difficult for him to get the mins he wants. So 2 new CB, Martinez & Evan’s could slow him down plus maybe Maguire or Lindelof could stay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Quags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Onana going to villa?? Ffs, we should be all over that. Painful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It may be that the club just don't think the ceiling for Kwambala is all that high, or that he himself is forcing the move, but I suspect a big part of it is that the club don't think they will be able to shift Maguire or Lindelof this summer. So they are taking the money for the one they can shift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf we have started being competent with youth sales last 12 months. We have a buy back clauses for both Kovar and Fernandez (who goes by Carreras now) aswell. We also have a matching clause for Carreras. I'm pretty sure we also have sell on clauses on each so even if we decide not to buy them we can still earn money if they go elsewhere.

So we are improving greatly in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Club have been trying to resolve the contract situation impasse for months with Kambwala,so they obviously took proactive action when it looked that he wanted away.

Weird but very encouraging to see the club begin to be proactive during a transfer window.With him gone it gives them an opportunity to work hard on either exits for Maguire and Lindelof although their wages will be a huge stumbling block to moving on either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Interesting links to Toney and Xavi Simons today. Simons with a loan to buy deal would be smart business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I'd love Toney but considering he'll have zero resale value, the likely very hefty fee Brentford would want doesn't make any fiscal sense.

• Advertisement

Unless it's a low fee with a year left on his contract, yeah it's not very attractive. Maybe send a player that qay

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

it’s been reported that although they are looking for around 60m it’s widely expected they’d take 40m so as not to lose him for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I'd love a player like Toney just not him, terrible attitude and like I said before I'd finally like some drama free players.

I think both are dumb.

We have rasmus and zirkzee. Adding Toney to that means one if them barely plays and becomes a massive waste if money.

We have Bruno and Mount to play where Simmons does. Unless we are selling Bruno it doesn't make sense.

We need a CM partner for mainoo. We need arguable need a second (assuming we're signing mdl) cb, we arguable need a left back and second deep cm, abd a right back. All before we look at a third striker or third AM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Yoro looks to be the plan B for not getting Branthwaite. Whether he agrees to move is another question. Could easily hold out a year and move to Madrid for free.

If we could get a decent deal done for Toney I don’t see the issue. The team needs more goals and adding Zirkzee is probably not the full solution for that. Zirkzee looks a great plan if we have runners alongside him who will score goals. Unless Rashford steps up, we don’t really have it.

You can still get all 3 decent game time across a full season with bringing them off from the bench for impact to try see out games that we weren’t able to do last season. Remember how awful the bench looked for most games.

• Advertisement

Was costing stupid money already! 30m max is what he's worth.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Why?

If United want to be possession dominant I am not sure he is the type of player that is going to be taking the ball and progressing play or slotting back into a back 3 in longer build up phases.

Not necessarily in the case of Simons, I think he offers something different to Bruno and Mount and adds pace behind the striker. If we were to potentially move Sancho on hes another wing option on top of it. A loan to buy works in the office chance Bruno moves on the year after

Neither is ugarte, the only cm we've seriously been linked to.

We will have martinez, dalot, Shaw and mainoo for progression. What we don't have is a cm to defend. We dont need some busquets unicorn, unless you can find one for about 50m....

We also lack physicality in the side, onana would provide an elite level of that. And beside mainoo that would be a huge bonus.

Also, whether we want to be possession dominant is questionable. We retained ETH, so more chaos ball is as likely. And none of the cbs we've been linked with are top level ball players.

He may offer something different to Bruno, but we have Bruno and mount. Adding a third AM is an insane use of limited funds.

Imo are three priorities this summer should be

St (zirkzee)

Cb (mdl?)

CM (ugarte, maybe)

Those positions should be the minimum base. If we need to sell to fund anything else, those three should be done. After that I'd be looking at another deeper cm, another cb, a left back, maybe a right back. Don't see the logic in using limited funds to buy in positions we have reasonable depth and quality in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i dont remember this at all! 😂

In the pl ravenelli was banned from his shirt celebration 96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not stolen from reddit at all👀, pre match data for the Rosenborg match.

# Rosenborg BK vs Manchester United

Competition: Pre Season Friendly | Date: 15th July

Kick off: 17:00 BST | Venue: Lerkendal Stadion, Norway

Referee: Unconfirmed | TV: MUTV

Team News:

Possible starting XI:

-----------Onana--------

--AWB-Lindelof-Evans-Amass--

---Casemiro--Collyer----

--Amad---Mount--Rashford

----------Wheatley---

• The majority of the squad is still on holiday. None of the lads who featured at the Euros or the Copa America are expected to feature here.
    • Jadon Sancho has returned to the squad but is not expected to play a part in this game, but will be available for selection from then on.
    • Tyrell Malacia and Harry Maguire both still appear to be injured, both have reported back to Carrington neither pictured in team training.
    • Willy Kambwala is due to sign for Villarreal so is unlikely to feature here.
    • Youth players spotted in training:
    • Finlay McAlister, James Scanlon, Toby Collyer, Elyh Harrison, Habeeb Ogunneye, Sonny Aljofree, Ethan Wheatley, Rhys Bennett, Maxi Oyedele, Sam Murray, Ethan Williams, Harry Amass, Joe Hugill, Dermot Mee

Injuries/Suspensions/Absentees:

| Player | Injury/Ban/Absence | Position | Return Date |
    |:-:|:-:|:--:|:-:
    Tyrell Malacia | Knee | LB | TBC
    Harry Maguire | Calf | CB | TBC
    Jadon Sancho | Fitness | LW | 20th July
    Dan Gore | Shoulder | CM | TBC
    Scott McTominay | EURO Holiday | CM | 28th July
    Rasmus Hojlund | EURO Holiday | ST | 28th July
    Christian Eriksen | EURO Holiday | CM | 28th July
    Bruno Fernandes | EURO Holiday | CM | 1st August
    Diogo Dalot | EURO Holiday | RB | 1st August
    Altay Bayindir | EURO Holiday | GK | 1st August
    Facundo Pellistri | COPA Holiday | RW | 10th August
    Kobbie Mainoo | EURO Finalist | CM | 10th August
    Luke Shaw | EURO Finalist | LB | 10th August
    Tom Heaton | EURO Finalist | GK | 10th August
    Alejandro Garnacho | COPA Finalist | LW | 10th August
    Lisandro Martinez | COPA Finalist | CB | 10th August.

4pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Confirmed now officially.

1 thing i like about him is that after the euro's he came to do his medical, rather than having a few days on the beer. shows a good mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭NITRO95

Ah I'm sure he has a trip to Belfast lined up already

and happy days. just shows he has the right priorities. plenty of time for drinking after the medical and completion of transfer.

First signing since INEOS is in. Probably carries a little extra pressure for him?

In terms of the signing a 23 year old, up and comer, that should (hopefully) be able to contribute straight away while improving, that had a release clause and could be at United for a good number of years fits the profile of signing that the club will need to be making. Should be a big upgrade on what Martial in terms of availability.

By the sounds of it he offers a lot of what Martial was able to bring tactically when he went through his all too brief periods of fitness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

I won’t know what to do if Mainoo scores the winner for England. I’m so in his corner but it would also be cat.

Backed Spain before the tournament so have no interest in Mainoo or Shaw getting any winner 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Guehi surely a better buy than any of the other cb's we're linked with.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

Wouldn’t want Shaw scoring a winner for them either, no chance. But there’s something about Mainoo’s meteoric rise that a winner at the Euro’s would just add to and he’d be coming into next season with a wet sail. Plus he’s just unusually likeable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Masterclass from Shaw so far

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Was just about to type that. *When* he's fit and on form he's a bloody good footballer

• Advertisement

maguire being injured will have added 20m to his transfer fee unfortunately. a double whammy for us if trying to move on maguire.

I think Shaw is quite likeable as well. Seems fairly genuine and down to earth. Would still prefer my €90 than seeing them win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,326 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Olmo has been fantastic. If it wasn't for our limited budget and his injury concern, he'd be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ngunners

Shaw was decent tonight I thought, particularly first half. He doesn't seem fully fit so hopefully this tournament works as a preseason for him and he can stay fit next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Well done to Kobbie Mainoo, what a year this kid has had. Should hold his head high, England's best player of the tournament for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Shaw was very good for most of the game and understandably ran out of steam.Hopefully he brings that form into the beginning of the League season.

We need someone on his level as competition / rotation. Malacia may never reach the same levels again and if we’re honest with ourselves, the levels he showed when he did play, were not good. Happy enough to see two centre backs come in considering Varane, Kambwala & likely Lindelof leaving but I think it would be criminal not to sign a good left back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I know that I don't want to hear about Shaw having extra time off because of Englands run in the Euros. Since that probably means a slow start to the season for him.

Bring yourself back into training immediately if thats ok Luke. You have only 20 more games for United than Phil Jones has, no need to miss any more.

Whatever about Shaw it was good that Kobbie got to play in such a huge game and to do well in the tournament overall. A good example tonight of why United need a footballer in midfield alongside him and not to be hoofing the ball over his head all the time.

Seeing Pedri is his leg brace is also a sign of why United need another midfield option so Mainoo is not overplayed. He has outrageous talent but is 19 and needs to be looked after.

Pedri was inured because of a tackle on him not as a result of being overplayed. Unless you think that young players shouldn’t be played as much because of potential injuries from being tackled by other players, which makes no sense at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement