Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting ESB pole moved

• 09-07-2024 10:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭

As the title says I want an ESB pole moved. The pole is not in the way as such but the line to it is going right over where I intend to put a shed and tank. This pole is the last one before the meter box so all ducting etc goes to it. 2 questions. Number 1, how much does this cost and 2, Will I need to show planning to get this done as I don't plan on going through that process?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Shouldn't cost you anything, unless things have changed since 2012.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

We wanted to move a pole when we were building our house so the line wouldn’t be directly over the house. The ESB moved it for us without any charge. That was 2016. As far as I remember the OH here just rang up to enquire about getting it moved and the ESB took it from there.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

THanks lime and siamsa. That's a great job if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I had to get the 3 phase line moved to build were my new shed and parlour are. Afair they charged me around 1000 euro and took about 9 months betweem initial consultation and them actually doing it. Definitely wasnt free. Edited to say, the cost was probably as they left a 3 phase supply ready for when I had my parlour built.

Post edited by whelan2 on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Don’t want to distract from the original question but has anyone ever got the meter itself moved?

Our farm meter is in a little old pump house and the sheets of galavanise on the roof are fairly shook. It’s also difficult to get to. I’d like to move it 50m to inside where the parlour is going.

Anyone ever get that done?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 you_talking_to_me

I had a meter moved 40 meters or so from an outside utility area around to the side gable of the house to facilitate work I wanted to do in the utility space.
    This was about 2 years ago.

I think the cost was about €650 to the Esb for works and they also updated the meter to smart meter.

One initial site inspection to tell me where the best place was for new meter and then I had to prepare the ground from old meter location to new and have safety sleeve in place up to new point to allow them do the connection.
    Quite a simple process and the wait time was about 6 weeks from initial inspection.

I think once you pay the money the work has to be done in a certain timeframe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭lmk123

maybe it says that on the website but that absolutely doesn’t happen, not around here anyway, it often takes around 3 months just for them to come out and say where the pole is going, I applied for a new connection in April, I got a quote last week, (the prices are on the website and it still took that long), when I pay that it’ll probably be another 3 months before he comes out to even look at it and tell me where the pole is going, I’ve enquired from a few electricians around here, apparently this is completely normal since Covid, they also warned me not to complain to the ESB about the wait or wherever he says he’s putting the pole because anyone that opens their mouth will be left waiting far longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Grueller

I'd say that will be easy enough done when the parlour is going in if you need to upgrade supply. I put the meter on the dairy wall and the fuse board in the plant room. If you need a supply upgraded it can all be done then. That's what happened with me anyways

I got the line moved before covid and the connection was set up last October. The lads said I'd have been charged about 5 times more if I was doing the job now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement