Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [LOI Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

We gave Bohs a regular away allocation for our home semi last year I'm fairly sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Evan Ferguson another one big clubs have their eye on, even if we have 1 or 2 who make it in the big time it will be good for LOI clubs as they hopefully will get money once the player is sold on again.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

We got 200 which I believe is less than 10% of capacity which is standard, but not sure if that's the usual allocation in Eamonn Deacy Park, particularly with security, etc.

Derry will get the Mono Stand, no change from a league fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Pretty sure the Bohs allocation in Galway last year was something like 430 - 10% of an available 4,300 capacity.

Derry will get 450 tickets for the Mono.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Derry don’t tend to travel in numbers to Dublin outside of Aviva really, so I wouldn’t expect there to be tonnes of hardcore regulars missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

There was definitely more than 200 Bohs fans in the away end that game, pretty sure they were given 450 tickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Dundalk players won't be paid this week…that's the pits

EDIT They agreed to defer on assurances

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This Dundalk nonsense needs to be sorted by the end of November at the latest if they avoid 10th. Totally unfair on other sides involved if for example Drogheda finish 10th and don't know what division they are playing in next season because the clownshow taking place down the road could still result in Dundalk being demoted if they end up doing that SCARP thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

See Derry fans worried about tonight’s game with Rovers. Don’t worry lads, at some stage tonight Rovers will do one or all of the following:

Give away a soft goal passing out of the back

Give away a soft penalty

Get a soft red card

Miss a couple of sitters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

According to TodayFM sport, Shels welcome Galway Utd to Tolka Park tonight.

Amateurish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The lad fronting the supposed group taking over wouldn't have a pot to piss in and nobody seems to have seen any money or account that would suggest that they could afford to take over. Dundalk will be gone soon enough as far as I can see and many around the town would agree with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

Sid the same on newstalk earlier. They all share the one news beat an obvs just wasn't picked up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Rovers are gonna win the league.

For the sake of all the other teams in the league, I just hope they manage to at least finish out the season.
    The table will be seriously and unfairly skewed at this late stage if they fold!

• Advertisement

They didn't even pay the players this week. It's wrong and if those in charge of Dundalk at present don't look for proof that this new shower have the necessary money to fund the team then the FAI should step in and demand the proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Caulfield Ball isn’t that easy on the eye, but it is effective at LoI levels. They possibly should have got a draw against Shamrock Rovers, but are finding Shels easy enough at the moment. Rovers were a far superior team.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Good god that is a dreadful penalty decision. Could have massive implications at the top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

We give out about VAR but pity we didnt have it there, I didn't want Rovers to win but after that decision I do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm a bit the same...that's a disgraceful dive. Really hope Derry don't win it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Filthy cheat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

fine and ban coming Bradley’s way you’d imagine after that interview.

He said the ref was the worst in the league

Excellent result and some cracking goals in Richmond Park tonight. Match ended 3-0 could easily have been 6-2 with the amount of chances both sides had. We dominated the first 20 minutes and should have scored. Waterford came back into it but we then scored on the break and 5 minutes scored again with a smashing strike by Melia after Waterford lost the ball in the backline.

Waterford then dominated the first 20 minutes of the 2nd half and while they didn't have any chance that you'd say should have been a goal were putting us heavy pressure. Kenny did two subs and switched to three at the back and the pressure eased as Waterford weren't finding the space anymore. Keena then scored three minutes after he came on with a great strike that may or may not have gone over the line but the lino gave it. He should have scored at least one after that as Waterford pushed up leaving loads of space at the back. Still have to be happy with a 3-0 win.

Geez Shels are really starting to struggle but once again Derry or Rovers can't take full advantage. I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Ignoring there was nothing wrong with the goal Derry that was ruled out and the handball his had was not on the ground as the Rovers manger tried to claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I've no skin in the game whatsoever but to see that kind of cheating is awful....it needs to be stamped out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Excellent summary. I was a bit worried with taking off both Elbouzedi and Mulraney, as I thought we needed to keep the pace of at least one of them as a threat on the break. Still, the third goal finished it, so all’s well that ends well. Ver entertaining game I thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I agree but if the refs make bad calls it will only keep happening, Ruaidhri was lucky he stopped himself in the interview afterwards with his ref claims and Dublin teams

Deserved win for Galway unfortunately

It sure was.
    It was probably our best performance of the season so far, but Shels were very poor tonight.

Coote and O’Brien were anonymous for ye before being hauled in.

From a Galway point of view, was glad to see Derry take a point from Rovers. Gonna be a great run in for all clubs from here, regardless of management styles, perceptions of poor league standard etc…. It is what it is, let’s see what happens!!

Ya we were much the better team. Tbh ye never really worked Clarkey hard bar a shot from Coyle I think it was. Thought O'Brien was going to be a handful but he very quickly faded out of the game and none of your subs had any impact.

Our goal was a beaut from Jimmy. We played some lovely stuff at times in the first half and then shut up shop. We could have been out of sight by halftime but Kearns made a cupla great saves and a goalline clearance from a Borden effort kept ye in it.

• Advertisement

Ultimately, until we show something else, people will be well within their rights to be sceptical about us, but fortunately things can change very quickly in football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Brilliant performance from us in Dalymount. In particular, the back five were magnificent and Frantz had his best game in a Drogheda shirt.

Shouting for Sligo tomorrow night!

Still think ye will fall over the line as Derry just can't be trusted to not fcuk up again.

Hard to see where our next win is coming from based on the last few performances, but we’ve played 4 away games consecutively now, so hopefully having 4 of our next 5 at home can drive a return to form.

Shels fans must be getting nervous now. They have capitulated. Form gone to pieces. I maintain if they still manage to win it, which is still as likely as us, they will be the worst team to win this league in a very long time.

I thought we were poor to watch for a lot of this season, given our squad. But at least we are having a go now at the business end. Shels are playing terrible football now too.

As for tonight's game, was at it so seen no tv footage, but I thought it was never a penalty from my seat. Massive bit of luck for us, and really dented Rovers hopes.

But this league ain't over yet for any of the top 3.

If ye wouldn’t mind just concentrating on winning the Cup, be much appreciated, thanks 😉

Shels 5 points in last 4 games (3 of them away too). Derry 6 points in last 4 games. Does this fit the narrative of us having capitulated and our form having gone to pieces?

You won't have to shout for Sligo. Dundalk players not paid this week and I can't see them putting much effort into this game. There are still a lot of people who know we are gone, players included. And I don't mean to the first division.

Stats...who needs stats!

Shels are in full on panic mode. They look shot of confidence.

We are playing with a bit of belief in the last few games, hopefully gathering momentum. But this league is so unpredictable this season that I wouldn't be surprised if we lose to Drogs next week. That's the kind of team we are.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

A complete dive, never touched and then he spends as much time as he could getting treatment to use up as much time as he could. Would be embarrassed if that was one of Rovers players but whatever works . Unfortunately that is likely to be the deciding game in this year’s league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Worst league I can remember in a long while anyway, nobody wants to win it

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Thank fcuk Waterford started the season exceeding expectations, winning away from home regularly.

Now they're easy pickings away and getting the odd win at home.

Still a good season (staying up) and I expect more improvement next season. Backed by the organisation that achieved 6 promotions in 10 years to English League 1 with Fleetwood.

51 years and counting….... 🤞

Waterford were fairly good at times on the ball tonight especially after half time where ye really put pressure on us for 20 minutes. Amond is such a threat with his movement and his flicks to set up teammates to makeup for his lack of pace. Undoubtedly one of the cleverest players in the league atm. Goalie mixed the sublime with the ridiculous tonight although bar the 1st goal you couldn't blame him for any of the goals really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

what a disgrace of a decision in Derry, and what a diving little weasel McEleny is. As others have said, potentially massive implications and a Royal **** up from an LOI ref…quelle surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Yep, Amond has a head like a Snooker cue, he's unreal!

The Blues try to play good football, even the balls up to Amond aren't hoofball à la Caulfield.

Sargent, the keeper, just back from bad arm injury but he's been good this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

I think most genuine Drogheda fans, including me, would rather stay up (or not) on the pitch.

Regarding Dundalk wages, I understand that the players are aware that they aren't being paid this week as the new owners have to set up new accounts etc.

Most LoI clubs operate on a season to season basis. If Dundalk are in the PD at the end of the season, they can take things from there.

In a similar vein we play balls to Hickeys head or chest and he moves us from there. You can ask Shels tonight how that worked. The sly bitterness from some Waterford fans towards Caulfield is funny. He's had their number for the last 2 seasons and they're fairly sick of it it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭rodders999

Worst. Title race. Ever.

Seriously though the amount of points being dropped by both sides on the run in should be absolutely fatal but is making little to no difference.

Is it the pressure of neither having won the legaue in quite some time causing it or does it point to wider issues with the quality of the league?

Shels have 1 win in 7 and still top.

• Advertisement
Advertisement