Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest League in the World 2024 [LOI Thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Was watching the highlights of the last 2 cork home games, why are they not getting the crowds? stadium seems very empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

1 win in 7 is not shels’ worst record this season either remarkably. I think they’ve returned a 1 win in 9 record earlier this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Shels have been playing small margin football since game 1 which doesn't take much shift to flip into a bad run of results, since July we are conceding slightly more goals and also scoring slightly less goals despite our front loaded attacking reinforcements signed during the transfer window. If you look at our results we have had two great runs over 7 games and two bad runs of 9 games and now 7 games, similar pattern hit us in our 1 win in 9 run during April/early May

Poor quality league and 10 poor teams tighter on ability who can all take points off each other has resulted in us top of the league with 6 games with scoring barely over one goal per game, it's an anomaly I don't think we will see again for many seasons

It's still an incredible position for Shels to be in with 6 games left though unless there is a sudden turnaround from our poor form/performances I expect Derry will have enough to overtake us with Rovers possibly Galway to be very close behind our backs, I'll still be content with a top 3 finish to get us back into Europe which was the pre-season objective but this was definitely a league for the taking if we had been on it since July

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I don't see it as a deciding game. Rovers decided their season by picking up 2/21 points at Richmond, Sligo, Oriel and Dalymount. Even taking the Waterford/Drogheda and Galway home games and even Shels.

They put themselves in the position that match officials' incompetence could not be afforded. A big gamble in the LOI…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Accept all that but I was more talking about it as a deciding game in the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭RamonD3

McGraith is by a distance the worst referee in the Premier division, but hard to blame him for missing a dive, it's a hard enough job as it is without that. Most players would do it in the circumstances though so no moral high ground there

Derry got one hand on the trophy last night, they'll only have to be within 3 of shels on the last day, there's been enough of these head to head deciders on the last day, they only go the one direction

I'm happy dundalk didn't fold but looks like they'll wait for relegation to be confirmed and then go for scarp. Across the water they'd be applying a points deduction the following season, will be a headache for the fai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

in fairness turners cross is one of the bigger grounds in the country holds 7k?

Attendance by Nigel on foot is 2765 which is a little below average of 2850, great for the first division but cork are the only full time team so it’s a bit processional…

Won’t get much of away fans, especially playing harps when every away trip is 6hrs min return this year, 5hrs to cork one way.

we could have done with holding to our 2-0 lead though, would have been a great boost to out late play off bid, althone with a 95th min winner too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Home tickets for Drogheda/Wexford cup semi sold out in just over an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tom2

Just as an indication of how crazy this season is…. with just 6 games left, mathematically Pats can still finish bottom (at least until Dundalk drop points tonight) or top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

Jesus,don’t be saying that ! I think we’ll be fine though. We’re probably the form team at the moment, and we’ll be looking to climb the table. I really like the look of the squad now, and have a good feeling about next year. I think we’ll go very close. It’s a real pity we’re into the closing stages of this year. As much as Rovers will be rueing missed opportunities this year, so will we. If we manage to sneak Europe it will be a great turnaround.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Tom2

A very good chance of making top four, I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Oh my detest for Caulfield and his dour head extend far beyond 2 seasons

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭I told ya

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2024/0921/1471128-sligo-rovers-futsal-team/

A great LofI initiative. Well done to the 10 clubs involved.

Another reason for the Gov. to support the LofI clubs (not the FAI).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Just bumping this to remind people that Shams V. Bohs is on Virgin 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Burke has some left peg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,274 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

An absolute snorefest in Drogheda tonight. Drogheda looked like they wanted a point and we looked tired after the exertions against Rovers and Shels in the previous 7 days. Only good thing is it's made me awful tired and I'm going to get a good night's sleep now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'm not going to sleep until we're safe and I don't think that's coming anytime soon.

• Advertisement

Poor game in United Park.

No offence to Galway fans but it's like watching Wimbledon in the 1980s. Long high ball each time and hope for a knock down or second ball.

The table will say that it's effective but it's a hard watch.

Ah now, pot kettle black there. Ye lumped it at Pierrot all night and got no change from our CB's. We changed from our normal shape and played without any width until the 80th minute so going long was the game plan against ye as ye were so deep. Both teams were awful on the night and no bit of bias can change that.

We'll agree to disagree.

I was at the game, both of our wingbacks, Ahui & Kane, got forward even if the end product wasn't there.

If you had offered me four points out of six before the Bohs game, I'd have taken it so happy enough even if it was a poor game.

A couple of years ago when Rovers had Byrne and McEneffe at the their best they played a good fast brand of football from back to front.

Now Bradley has them playing this tiki-taka style passing endless among themselves until either losing it on their own box or just hoofing it away. Pico in the second half slowed the game down rolling the ball before eventually launching it to no one in particular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Its that change of tactics this year that has cost us 5IAR IMO, its been too easy to hide behind injuries when in reality we've been an awful team to watch. The attacking ability in the squad is the best in the league and we play that sterile risk averse muck week in week out no matter who the opposition is. Last night was awful to watch, cant remember the last time I went to that fixture with so little enthusiasm and the atmosphere did nothing to lift it either, the life has been sucked out of the team and the fans the more the season has gone on.

Fully expect Pats to come to Tallaght Friday & get a result as its not difficult to see how we'll set up.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I suspect it's to do with adopting a style that he believes is the right (pragmatic) approach to use in Europe, and so it has to be adopted domestically too in order to get the players used to it. That's my take on it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Funny how Higgins adopted it too.

I personally think these guys are watching the likes of Pep on TV and trying to be mini-Pep, and playing the same style as they think that's what's needed to succeed.

Modern tactics have ruined football. It's now a game obsessed with possession and stats, and these stats are deciding who is bought, who is played where, how a team plays etc. It's all management by numbers. Teams in Epl, La liga etc starting having ipads in front of them, so guys in LOI had to copy them to try to be like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ratracer

You’re not wrong about the iPads on the touch line. By all means record stats, but I reckon the iPads have probably been responsible for most of the touch line Red/yellow cards, as the bench reacts to marginal calls after seeing replays! There’s no VAR in LoI!

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

Crazy how the only people you hear complaining about how Galway play, are fans of teams currently sitting below Galway in the table, surely a coincidence.

Ya, I mean complain about how we play, that's grand but when your own team is also playing the same way and having less success with it, it's a bit rich.

We play nothing like Galway; we play three at the back and the wingbacks getting forward.

Look at the Bohs game last Friday or our recent games against Waterford or even Pats away where we shipped four.

And those seven goals against Sligo must have all been hoofed balls over the top …

My observation on Galway seems to have hit a nerve. You can quite rightly say that your performances have you fighting for europe whilst we are fighting relegation.

My point was about the style of play rather than how effective it is. You are having a tremendous season and you should be rightfully delighted with how you have performed and where you are in the table.

There's no need to get so rattled by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,182 ✭✭✭Guffy

If there is one thing that I have learned during the Kenny reign, it's that football is a results business. Enjoy playing samba football in the relegation playoff 🤷

Galway don't play pretty football, they defend as a unit and play long balls, I will say they tend not to be aimlessly long though. But the fact that we are getting results will keep fans happy. JC wouldn't have a long leash amongst fans imo were results to go against us as well as playing poor football.

It always has to devolve into sh1tetalk like "rattled and touch a nerve" in here. I could say the same to you but I try to keep above it.

My observations on Drogs are of last night, not any other games, ye were 50% of the dross on show. Ye played the same as us.

If you want to comment on our style and assume we only play one way then go back and watch all our games and inform yourself.

Lazy stereotyping is lazy.

Play like that in Europe and we’ll get slaughtered. All they’ll have to is press us and we’ll lose possession quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,369 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Are Bohs fans worried? Looking at their remaining games I think Dundalk is the only one they'll be clear favourites in. Tough trips to Derry (game in hand), Sligo and Waterford with Pats and Galway at home.

If they beat Dundalk and Drogs lose to Derry they'll be fine, any other results on Friday and it'll be an interesting run-in given Drogheda's recent form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭eire4

We have all heard the "too good to go down phrase" before and that sometimes does not end well so for sure until its done there are definitely some nerves about the league position for Bohemians. The Dundalk game is the proverbial 6 pointer for both sides really. If Bohemians win they should be ok but a Dundalk win and the whole relegation picture gets stood on its head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Even if Bohs end up in a playoff, they will win it. Strong squad there now with Devoy and Tierney in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I think Derry will win it as a least bad first passed the post side, Shels have run out of steam. Shams most likely 3rd but I wouldn't be surprised if they split the other 2 and finish 2nd and Pats will get 4th.

A Shams title seems unlikely but the other 2 are so inconsistent 12 points from their last 15 could potentially be enough to win it.

If the likes of Galway do manage a Euro spot then the argument of it being this fantasiastic condensed league of 10 good quality sides will be blown upside on its hole.

It'll be shown to be what it very clearly is i.e the top sides have regressed to be woefully inconsistent and a Dundalk side failing to pay it's employees are better on the pitch than UCD were and it's marginal between this year's Drogheda and last years Cork.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Very worried. We got stick for saying Reynolds is under pressure, but we've been absolutely diabolical.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

Yes, I am fairly worried and have zero confidence going into Dundalk away on Friday coming. We rarely perform up there. Strangely though I'm happy enough to have more away league games left than home ones, we seem to put our better performances in away from home. I thought we'd turned a corner after the 3-game run of Shels-Rovers-Shels where we picked up a D-W-D but arguably should've won all three, but our last 2 performances have been just dreadful. We cannot seem to get ourselves up for games against teams around us, yet we're capable of lifting ourselves for most games against higher ranked sides. It wouldn't surprise me at all to lose this Friday and still give Derry a right go in the cup semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

United Park safe capacity is about 2,250 with 250 usually allocated to away fans in the covered terrace on the Windmill road side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bohs cashing in on Derry fans for the away tickets for semi final.

Tickets went on sale at 9am, at 9:01am all children's tickets sold out.

Was there any for sale at all i wonder?

I don't think they should be worried obviously Friday night is their best opportunity for comfort, I know Bohs have only won 2 league games in the past 5 months but the squad they have is better than that, a realistic 4 points in their final 6 games should secure 8th as that would mean Drogheda would need 9 points from their final 5 games which include games against all of the top 3

Whoever finishes 9th should not get cocky with a one off game on neutral territory especially when UCD and Athlone have respectively beaten Sligo and Waterford in the Cup this season

As a Drogheda supporter, I'd gladly take 9th place now. I agree that Bohs are too far ahead and, if I'm being honest, I hope that they beat Dundalk on Friday.

We'll have our third game in a week so wouldn't fancy our chances of taking anything from Derry.

I also doubt the team or manager, if we finished 9th, would treat a FD team any differently than any other team.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Yes. I've been saying it for a while but was dismissed, particularly after we beat Rovers in the cup I said it was no good winning those games and then losing to Sligo the next week, people said, maybe fairly from what they were seeing that they'd rather win the cup as they considered Bohs safe. I felt from watching Bohs that they were far from safe and I still think the same, they simply can't put together consistent coherent performances.

Are they too good to go down? On a player by player basis, yes, but as a sum of their parts, no. And that has to come down to the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Bohs won't go down - they simply won't finish last, and are absolutely better than any First Division team that aren't Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Bohs will finish 8th at worst, cant see Drogheda catching them given their remaining fixtures. Even if by some miracle they ended up in the playoffs they'll easily beat any of the FD teams, look at the battering they gave UCD a couple of weeks ago for example and they're what 2nd in the FD table?

Simply wont happen.

Don't understand that Bohs team TBH, they can go toe to to toe with Rovers & Shels but pretty much lose to everyone else. In all the games v us this year they've been organised & hard to break down, but every other week seem to make mistakes regularly that cost them the games. There's a decent side in there somewhere IMO.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

the Rovers and Shels games are their cup finals really, especially with them languishing in lower mid table, they were celebrating a draw in Tolka Park the other week. Raising their game for the derbies is sort of worrisome for the fans actually, why are the players not motivated all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

You seem weirdly fixated with this after posting it 3 times in around a week but just to reiterate, applauding your side off after a good away performance isn't celebrating.

Edit: Whoa those wild celebrations at 8:38, like something out of La Bombonera 😲

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9WLeZLWOsw&ab_channel=FAITV

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭I told ya

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2024/0926/1472054-refs-group-criticises-bradleys-post-derry-outburst/

So, how many matches will he be banned for? Generally the FAI are quick out of the traps on criticising Refs.

Let the whataboutary commence.

• Advertisement

I don't understand how anyone can say it 'won't happen' Bohs potentially losing a one-off relegation play-off match based on beating UCD 4-0 when a couple of weeks before that Bohs drew with the side currently bottom of the First Division only winning via a penalty shoot-out

Yes due to gap in professional/semi-pro at the moment between the divisions the odds will be for Premier Division team favoured to win the play-off but there is enough evidence from the FAI cup matches this season Kerry/Bohs, Sligo/UCD, Waterford/Athlone that there is real jeopardy involved for Bohs, Drogheda and Dundalk coupled with historic Play-off outcomes statistically favouring the First Division teams

Advertisement