Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is going on with page navigation?

• 10-07-2024 8:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭

for the last day, you go into a thread and there’s maybe 100 pages indicated as being the thread length and you go to the last page and it’s empty. In fact the last 50 pages maybe empty so the thread is unreadable

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I have noticed the same problem, and also, when I want to give your OP a Thank, nothing happens.

Is the site about to fall over?

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Oh and look - my post appears twice. I don't know if that's only for me or if everyone sees it twice, but I'm certain I only pressed Send the once.

(Just checking with this post to see what happens)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Yep, I see both posts twice, but it's clearly an artefact, since they are still numbered 2 and 3 (twice)

So this will be number 4, but will presumably appear twice. To me at least.

That might explain why there are half as many posts as there are page numbers!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's how vanilla works just after a post is made, the new post shows twice, once in sequence with the rest, and a second time at the top just after the opening post it responds to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

as an example how many pages do you see indicated in any thread you want to use as an example and I’ll tell you how many I see and I expect I’ll see far more pages than you will )if you aren’t experiencing this problem) and my number will be far higher since it will full of blank pages

• Advertisement

I'm not completely sure what this means and whether it answers my query: I was seeing ALL my posts as doubles, not just the last one. So, I made posts 2, 3 and 4: when I had posted 2 and 3, I saw the OP, then posts 2 and 3, plus posts 2 and 3 again. Then when I added post no. 4, I could see posts 1-4 followed by posts 2-4 repeated.

I'm certain that's not what usually happens. I think what you are describing is the way when a thread is several pages long and I'm replying to a post that's a couple of pages before the current end-of-thread, I first see my reply in situ, ie on the page I'm replying to, and then if I click to the last page, I'll see my post where it actually appears, as the last post. But that isn't what is happening here.

ETA: this post only appears once for me. There's still something strange going on with the Thanks, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steinbock123

The thing that annoys me most is, as I use an iPad, and my eyesight is not the best, I always zoom in to make the print bigger and easier for me to read, but when I do, most times the ads in the sidebar also magnify, BUT instead of going off screen actually move into the centre of the screen and block the post.
    Is there anything I can do to avoid this happening?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Please post a screenshot of what you're seeing then to make it clear what's happening.

yeah this is a problem as well on iPad. More of a long standing problem. The thing I’ve opened this discussion on is to discuss something that is wrecking the site for me for the past 24 hours

example; 278 pages on navigation but page 277 and 278 are blank

• Advertisement

It's gone now, and anyway may not be related to what the OP is talking about, which I've also noticed, and for which s/he has posted a screenshot.

If the other thing happens again I'll post a screenshot on here

I think there's two different things being confused here, the blank pages issue and the doubled posts. The latter being expected, but not the blank pages issue.

When I press on followed threads, the last page is empty as shown in screenshot above, and when I press on previous page tab, it stays on the empty page.

Just another bug on the long list of crap since the site changed over to vanilla.

• Administrators, Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

I'll have a look through the change log and see what happened.

I think it’s ok now. They’ve closed the threads it was happening on and restarted them

• Administrators, Boards.ie Employee Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mike

Thanks for that.

Vanilla have found some info from what I shared from this thread. It is with their developers now. I'll will post updates here when I get them.

Advertisement