Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Premier League Thread 2024-25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Poor enough game, both teams had good chances, utd deserved to win just about.

Zirczee links well, and utd's new RB looks solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Fulham missed Paulhina tonight.

Nice finish for the goal though for Zirkizee, I think he has the look of a lazy player but it's just the way he moves because he seemed to be really involved and moved around a lot to create space for runners.

Bad dive from Maguire in the first half and even had the cheek to argue his case with the ref. Awful miss from Garnacho at the death as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,671 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think United need to play the way they do against City all the time. False 9.

I’d ignore the first 15 mins. There were 2 or 3 United lads who were just asleep and took a while to wake up. But from 15 to 60, United dominated and it took some great Leno saves to deny them, particularly from Mount and Bruno. And it wasn’t bad finishing, it was good keeping. A goal was definitely coming imo. The system was working very well imo.

Then Zirkzee replaced Mount and the momentum turned completely. Fulham got on top in the middle and they became the ones looking more likely to score. They had a number of half chances where they should have done better but didn’t have the quality. The United goal was out of the blue. Zirkzee had contributed zero up to that, but that of course could (and probably is) down to it being his first game. He did really well in the build up and finish to the goal, and in the 5 or 6 minutes after the goal he did well. He looked very low energy in his first 25 minutes, and that won’t work in an ETH team, but could probably write that off as first game stuff.

The new full back looks a great buy for the money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

When Mount went off the momentum shifted. He covered every blade of grass in the first half. While he didn't actually do much in terms of end product, he constantly pressed the Fulham players and didn't give them time to play out. He was singled out by alot of people in the United thread as being poor in the first half but personally I'd disagree. Agree that Mazraoui looked but I'm very much tempering expectations. Malacia looked decent at the beginning of his tenure, he was outstanding against Liverpool when we beat them 2-1 in the 3rd game of that season but then his legs fell off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Cantona aint getting on board the hype train

🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Didn't realise Ed Sheeran was so invested in Ipswich. Flying off at ht for a gig in Serbia, what a life!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Ipswich PA guy makes me hope they get relegated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,338 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Burns lucky not to be sent off for a deliberate handball, already on a booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Seems that Quansah was just hooked, no injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Liverpool.need Endo to sort the midfield out. The three there look a little mixed up like they are not comfortable getting forward. I'd take off Gravenberch.

Nice goal by Jota after just missing an even easier chance.

Salah makes it 2.

Opening day goal for him again - a Record at this stage.... 9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I wonder has anyone told Sheeran the score since he left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

There was no community note when it was posted

Very comfortable win in the end for Liverpool.

Goal and an assist for Salah.

They upped their passing in the second half and their was a real gulf in standards by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭Augme

Ipswich already look in big trouble. They just didn't seem to have the legs in the second half at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only two teams with maximum points so far. Poor from the rest of the league 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭mobydopy

That Schar red card is an absolute joke

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

they are putting in bids for Guehi and Gomez (was linked to them) sits out Liverpools game due to a potential move… worst possible timing for Schar to get a red and a suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It’s never a red. But it won’t be reversed either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

How is grabbing someone by the throat and pinning him to the ground with your full weight on his neck, not seen as a red card?

Schar didn’t touch him when he was on the ground. Was sent off for squaring up to him with his head

More than one game on. I'm talking about the Arsenal game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Havertz wrestled the Wolves player to the ground, but did it poorly, and yer man broke his fall by leaning on Havertz neck area. If Havertz wasn't acting the b0ll1x pulling at yer man it's not an issue, and rolling around as if he was throttled afterwards doesn't change that fvck all happened.

I find it very hard to warm to this Arsenal outfit and their antics TBH, maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Brighton like last season have started off absolutely on fire, Everton will be sore after that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Shocking defending by Antonio for that Villa goal

Villa have bossed the first half but a softish penalty makes it 1-1

• Advertisement

Scandalously officiated game across the board. Allowing West Ham play their usual hatchet game, and then a pen for someone getting the ball.

They don't want to overturn the refs decision unless they have to but that was a very very soft penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭circadian

VAR confirms he gets the ball and goes for penalty?

He touched the ball but only slightly and didn’t knock it away from the attacker. Then he went through the attacker which stopped him getting the ball. Clear foul despite Alan Smith’s usual nonsense.

Villa only themselves to blame, missing two sitters through Bailey and McGinn.

Sky panelists confirm they got to the right decision re the penalty. After he touched the ball, he impeded Soucek and stopped him getting the ball. Foul. Odd to see Martínez going the wrong way when the graphic showed all Pacqueta’s recent penalties went the way he hit this one, which Martinez would have known.

West Ham need to get rid of Antonio, a complete waste of space. I think they’d be better with a midfielder instead to give Bowen and Kudus more freedom up front. But not a bad forward option in big Ful.

Post edited by The Rooster on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,319 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

West Ham look weak defensively, can see Villa getting more chances. Watkins fairly quiet the first half. Penalty the big call really, it doesn't get given by VAR I'd imagine if ref didnt call it.

I hope this knew back the refs decision thing makes Refs act a bit differently than they did last season where I think they relied on VAR to cover their arrse if they weren't sure on a call.

Well given that we’re now just creating a logic for why someone’s decision is correct after the fact, they’ll definitely feel supported now.

Coufal with 2 tactical fouls within 2 minutes and no yellow card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,328 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just seen the Schar red card, it is the same as Nunez got sent off for in his first Premier league game so what is the difference now?

Lots of subs brought on, but moved the momentum back to Villa after the Hammers were probably playing better in the second half. Duran has played very well, demanding to get involved and got his goal.

• Advertisement

Kudus is some player

Turned Cash inside-out today. Thankfully it was one of those "it was scripted" days for Duran vs West Ham.

Sky pundits have clearly been given a narrative to push forward here.

Redknapp just saying that if the ref had seen the touch on the ball he likely wouldn’t have given it, but that he’s glad that we’re sticking by referee’s decisions now.

They were playing a top four team today. They made a fair amount of good attacking chances. I think they'll be competitive against anybody outside the top six.

Antonia has never been great as a centre forward. He used to play out wide and even at full back and he was great in those positions.

I don't know how Cash got away without a card. Five fouls blown for and two where advantage was played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I thought Villa should have had an early penalty for the kick through McGinn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Suppose you think Jesus getting his arse groped on the pitch and getting booked for his reaction is “antics” yeah🙄?

West Ham manager also made a huge mistake in switching Kudus to the right, when he had Cash on toast for all the second half up to that point.

Nonsense. Clear as day he went for his throat. To suggest otherwise is biased and ignorant.

https://www.threads.net/@tina_antwi_backup/post/C-xqjObubO3/

• Advertisement
Advertisement