Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New EV time, Megane or other recommendations?

• 10-07-2024 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭

Looking at a nearly new EV for the OH.

The ‘new to us’ car will be replacing what has been an utterly reliable and spacious petrol Superb. Budget is around @30k and we can home charge from solar. 120km daily commute.

So far the Megane is top of the list due to recent price cuts, EV60 Techno for near €30K. Obviously a lot less spacious than the Superb but might still be ok. Interior is great retaining essential buttons, and the budget gets you a nearly new model with long warranty. Only concern is reading other Megane forms there are lots of problems for early cars, water ingress, software, alarms, etc. Hoping newer version will have these resolved? We have had Renault's before and they all had niggles. Skoda ownership has been a revelation after that. So a bit apprehensive.

ID4 possibly, though would be a few years old an VW infotainment leaves me cold, non illuminated climate buttons, not sure she would tolerate that oversight.

Tesla, no physical buttons rules it out.

Any other nearly new recommendations at that price point that compare well to the Megane?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Hyundai ioniq 5 or Kia ev6 spring to mind very quickly for you. They'll be at least 2 years old though for 30k but I think they're both great cars, the Kia especially.

I'd have either over an id4, enyaq, Tesla any day.

I don't think you'll lose much space if any compared to superb either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

I've test driven Megane eTech, ID4 and Model3 so far and unfortunately Megane is the worst of the bunch. It's small, the 20" wheels does nothing to improve the ride, and it's laughable that they expected us to pay 38k for it (same as Model 3 highland where as Model 3 is a much better car. Both will depreciate like rocks.. but still…)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭bobcatboo123

I'm in a similar position. Looking to spend about 30k on a nearly new EV. Saw a hyundai ioniq 5 221 for 28k earlier. Does this sound like a good deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭spudwiser

I have had the Mégane for a year and I'm very happy with it. I've had none of the issues mentioned above. It is smaller than the Ioniq 5/id4 but it's meant to be because it's not on the same class.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭davidivad

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2023-polestar-2-long-range-dual-motor/37396499

I’m biased towards the Polestar as I just got a new one. Here’s a nice one for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

If you're happy with Skoda I would have thought an Enyak would be high up on your shortlist, I'm not sure if there are very many available for less than 30k though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,775 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Squeeze your budget for 4K more and that Polestar is a no-brainer really.

Nice colour, long range with AWD. Liftback design is quite usable if you're used to space and hauling stuff about.

Interior feels smaller than it actually is, much to do with that central tunnel and dark interior but passenger leg room is ok.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/2023-polestar-2-long-range-dual-motor/37396499

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

+1 to this.

A hell of a lot of car for the money. Very comfortable, great software and nuts fast. Streets ahead of anything you're looking at. Go take it for a test drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭fafy

30 k should get you a 1 year old Megane E tech techno 60, but this one is 20k likely a typo though:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/renault-megane-e-tech-ev60-220hp-techno/37400174

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

You found the ride poor on the 20" wheels? From what I have read they don't seem to be that much worse than the 18"s on the Equilbre. I agree €38k seems nuts, but at €30k it makes more sense. No interest in a Model 3 though, just hate that interior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Just to elaborate on this. The car seems to be about one and a half years old (NCT to Jan 2027), so it has about the same again in free servicing (including pick up and return) and the same in warranty and T-Mobile connectivity (both extendable). With the mileage listed in the ad, it's likely it's had its first service. OTA updates for the life of the car and unlike some, these are published online so you can check to see what's coming and what additions are being made.

The infotainment system is Android Automotive (a cut down version of Android) which has a limited but constantly expanding set of apps including Waze, ABRP, Chargepoint, Plugshare, and Google maps. Also entertainment apps like YouTube, Spotify and Prime Video. Apple carplay also included. Full Google assistant allowing you to use voice control to ask Google anything or just change any of the car's settings such as climate, steering weight etc.

If you're using the same Google account on your phone as the car, you can set a destination on your phone and send it to the car. Selecting a destination in the car tells you your SoC at the destination and on return. If a charge is needed, you can select one of your choice and it will be added to your route.

The app is limited enough, you can set the charge schedule (also in the car), turn climate on or off, find your car and lock and unlock it. It also has Phone as key (PAK) which means you can add other (family members phones for example) to the account and they can drive the car without needing a key.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭positron

Yep, the car I test drove already had 10/15k on the clock and the car felt small and less soft / supple compared to my petrol Megae estate (17" wheels), but I probably am being too harsh on the car based on the bad experience at the dealership. The sales guy come with the four of us (two adults and two kids) on a test drive, and that absolutely ruined any chances of getting a sale from us. And the usual low ball trade-in offer, followed up by a sweetener of adding a 1k "after talking to the boss". It's all felt altogether very 90s. He later tried to offer an extended test drive and we were already turned off by their approach (He must have thought poorly of us).

VW gave us the ID4 keys and said go for a spin and let us know, which is nice, but the car was a daily driver by one of the sales guys / managers - had his personal belongings in various cubbies and pockets. It's better than Renault, but not good enough in this day and age.

Tesla on the other hand, pristine car, very little sales waffle, simple registration and quick demo of the car, and they were happy for us to take it for 30 mins or a night (or even a whole weekend, which we didn't do) to do the commute and figure out the regular driving / charging etc.

So I ordered a Model 3 last night.

Advertisement