Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's the last good "Original" movie you have seen in the Cinema?

• 10-07-2024 2:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

Just watched the release of the new Gladiator trailer. Looks like it could be ok but at the same time has the feel of a Simpsons parody about it due to the music!

When was the last time you saw something in the cinema that wasn't a remake or a sequel that impressed??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Vita nova

That's easy, Oppenheimer, blew me away!
    Very interesting subject material, great performances and special effects.

Post edited by Vita nova on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Dune, and dune 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

An Cailín Ciúin.

What a beautiful and stunning movie. Whole cinema is tears at the end. The cinematography was extraordinary as well. Should have won the Oscar.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭pgj2015

The zone of interest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Technically it's based on a very successful book. And there was a film back in 1984 and a TV mini series.

But that's the way big budget movies have gone. It's all remakes, sequels or prequels and if there is anything original it'll be based on a very successful TV series or book or game or toy or comic or whatever as long as it has a huge ready made market. And then they screw it up by getting in a director who doesn't understand that franchise.

Even some of the 'original' stuff is just classic stories with nouns changed.

Children cartoons are the most original movie genre left , and the live action remakes of them can die a death.

In so many movies today you pick from 10 distinctive genres and your story has 15 beats. Save the Cat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Triangle of sadness

Weird as hell but good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Civil War

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,835 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Godzilla Minus One.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I went to see Dune 2 in the cinema, my first visit to the Cinema for god knows how many years. In the intervening time I had moved onto a 4K TV and I thought the picture quality in the Cinema in comparison was terrible. I suppose you have to go to one of these IMAX cinemas to get a decent equivalent picture quality as a 4K TV these days. Sorry bit of a segue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,679 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything everywhere All at Once

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Ignoring the OP, saw a good 2019 movie that's still on the BBC iplayer - Law of Tehran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,530 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Arrival, decent SF story.

Oppenheimer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭French Toast

1917, thought that was excellent.

Also enjoyed Bullet Train but it was originally a novel iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,835 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Fly Me to the Moon was brilliant.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Vote4Squirrels

I don't know if it was a cinematic release but it was on Sky Cinema - but lately I saw A Sacrifice, dark but enjoyable.

Before that yes, Oppenheimer for sure and Belfast. There's not much that isn't a toy advert or a reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Poor Things, felt like it was influenced by a lot of directors over the decades but ended up being such a unique and amazing experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 163 ✭✭jeremyr62

Civil War. Despite feeling like an episode of The Last of Us in places, a very plausible depiction of the future of the USA.

Advertisement