Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Workstation recommendation - Laptop or PC

• 10-07-2024 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking for either a laptop or dedicated desktop which will drive (power and video) 2 X external screens via either one (daisy chaining) or two USB C cable's.

The use case is an intermittent WFH work station where 80% of the time it'll be MS 365 Office applications + a load of Chrome tabs open including some Spotify / Youtube / Netflix being played on one of the screens.

I was thinking of buying an entry level enough laptop with 16GB of RAM and a 512MB or 1TB SSD (most files are sync'd to OneDrive) but then it crossed my mind that rather than dedicating a laptop to being a workstation where the laptop screen never gets used it might be better to buy a small desktop PC with the right port, RAM and SSD set up and just leave that as a 100% dedicated workstation for the times I need to WFH which is maybe 3-4 days a month. I know using a laptop as the workstation would give me extra flexibility in that I can unplug it and use it on the move but I don't really need that flexibility as I already have a Chromebook for casual browsing, Netflix and even a doing some work emails etc if necessary.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

you would get more value from a pc , get one high refresh monitor and a more basic side monitor , or if you want 2 to the same to work side by side.

something with a 12th gen i5 at least cpu maybe , would not need to cost you 2 much

Advertisement