Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BER Improvement questions

Options
  • 10-07-2024 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,

I'm looking to get a new BER cert. Currently I'm at a C3, 209.47kWh/m2/yr. An upgrade I'm considering is a 7.04kwp solar install. I've worked out from the formula in the DEAP manual that this could take 42kWh/m2/yr off the BER bringing it to a 167, i.e. a C1 rating.

The cavity walls are also all insulated, so the average U-Value is 0.36 W/msq.K. I have only just obtained the paperwork from SEAI to confirm that work (plus the 300mm attic insulation) has been done.

However, it looks to me as though the last BER assessor would not count this in their assessment, as the recommended upgrades for the walls state that they're currently 'poor' at '1.093W/m2K' and have the potentialto be 'good' at '0.350W/m2K.' Since obtaining the paperwork, this makes no sense as they seem to already be 0.36. I assume they simply wouldn't count it as they had no paperwork (which is a little bit strict anyway, because you can see the insulation when you open the metre box and you can see where the walls were drilled, but anyway).

I'm wondering if anyone knows the formula to calculate how much kWh/m2/yr of a difference this wall insulation will make to the BER rating? Essentially I want to get to a B3 minimum in order to fix a green mortgage rate so I'm hoping between this and a Solar install it would get to it.

Also, since moving in, I have blocked one of the doorways downstairs to close in the room and I notice the heating is more efficient since it's no longer open plan, but I don't know if that makes any difference to heat loss overall for the purpose of the BER. And I've also removed the chimney completely. I don't have paperwork to support this, but could get an invoice if it counts towards anything.

Advertisement