Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heat pump not suitable for child with autism

• 10-07-2024 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Was approved for a full SEAI and they are replacing oil boiler with heat pump. Problem is I have a child with Autism and the noise of the unit would cause him a lot of distress. Are their exemptions where a person can get a gas boiler?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭dathi

oil boiler would be louder when it fires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Heat pump noise comes mainly from the fan, move it as far from the house as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I don't hear mine and it's on the gable of the house, not a very big house so I'm maybe 6-8 metres from it mostly. Even when outside, up close to it, it's like washing machine levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They aren't particularly loud and they're outside anyway

Some of them have a quiet mode which can be useful at night when someone is sleeping in a room nearby

Mine does get a bit loud when it's de-icing. It can happen on very cold days that ice builds up on the compressor, so the heat pump runs a sort of reverse cycle. It sounds a like louder and makes a squeaking noise when it does

This only really happens a few nights of the year so it shouldn't be too common

As Padre Pio said you can have the unit moved away from the house a bit. The pipes can be insulated and buried underground if needed. Just be aware it'll lose a bit of efficiency that way so make sure your installer factors that into their calculations

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

There is no exemption for gas or oil.

A heat pump makes less noise than some older gas boilers. What little noise there is, is outside. Heat pump makes around the same level of noise as an electric vehicle. Even an electric lawnmower makes much more noise than the heat pump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A gas or oil boiler would be louder than a heat pump.

Dare I say you are looking for a way out of getting a heat pump for another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

No other motive. Genuine concerns over the noise. I’ll take all comments on this and make a final decision. Thanks for all the replies and feedback.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,157 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

It's possible that your one stop shop might have installed a heat pump in your area already. It's also very possible that the homeowners might welcome you to visit and hear the running noise of the heat pump.

I understand people who don't have autistic family members might be suspicious but I feel your pain. Plenty of autism in my family, including myself. I know every autistic person is different from the next & I honestly believe it won't be an issue. Having said that Heat Pumps are extremely expensive. You are right to do your homework now. It would be a killer if you had to go back to gas after having a Heat Pump installed

Advertisement