Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Regional] Appeal a Warning Received - Limerick Forum

• 11-07-2024 11:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

In the following thread (posts have subsequently been deleted) I received a warning for 'starting rumours'.

It's not the biggest deal in the world, but I wasn't starting rumours. There's a genuine difference between rumours and speculation. If I had given some wink emojis or given an 'I hear that…..' type stuff I would accept it's rumour generating then.

However, I started my post with an 'I hope that….'. So that is speculation.

My post is below:

'Hope it's not a case of owners screwing creditors out of monies owed and now just starting up under a new name. The fact it's another Chinese opening there seems too coincidental and it's a very common theme among takeaways these days.'

That is not starting a rumour.

'Speculation is forming of a theory or conjecture without fine evidence . The main difference between rumour and speculation is that a rumour has some level of credibility whereas speculation is assuming ideas without proof about what could happen'.

This isn't the biggest deal in the world, but I've been on this forum long enough (17 years) to know the difference between acting the bollox and using it as a discussion forum (which I was doing the latter with in this instance).

Moderator is MarkR and he told me via pm that I implied criminal behaviour by a named business and did say to me to by all means appeal.

Thanks

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

@Gaspode If you could please review, this has been outstanding for weeks now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,033 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

We could get into the semantics of speculation and rumour but Im not sure it would help. When I read the quoted post it immediately made me think of the "just asking questions" fallacy. You frame something as a question in order to make an accusation or suggestion without any burden of proof. I dont know what your intent was with that post, and I assume neither did the mod in question. It obviously bothered other users too if it was reported. The mod warning is there to indicate that the post raised eyebrows as it could be seen as a suggestion of unlawful activity.

I agree it is small stuff, but try to remember that context & intent dont always come across in text. Mods are human and trying to figure what is meant by a post can be tricky. I think I would have given a warning myself in this case too, so I dont think it needs to be overturned. (You havent asked for that anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Cool ok

I did want the warning overturned for what it’s worth. I just think if warnings are given for this type of stuff it’s harsh.

The fact you had to go into a bit of detail above to justify it above shows it wasn’t a cut-and-dry warning I’d say. You said yourself it’s ‘tricky’ so surely tricky would mean ‘not obvious’ to give a warning for?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement