Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Siro provider with router that supports modem mode

Options
  • 11-07-2024 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

"Hopefully" soon Siro will be available in my area and there are few providers to choose from. I was wondering does anyone know which provider/s routers' do support switching to modem mode?

I know that Virgin Media FTTH routers doesn't support it, and most likely sales person wouldn't know this info / wouldn't give honest answer if I ask them about this. So I just wanted to ask based on others experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Siro and any other FTTH service will use an ONT that you can plug your preferred router into, the ONT is the modem. You can configure your own router, plug into the ONT, set the providers access password and set VLAN10 and away you go.

I'm on FTTH and have always used my own Asus routers connected to the ONT. It makes switching providers a breeze, my network settings, SSIDs all stay the same and no need to change SSID on all my devices whenever I change provider.

The only issue that you will encounter IMO will be if you have a landline number, some providers won't share SIP configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

This is not fully accurate - the new Virgin Media FTTH installs use a combined ONT and Router (not sure if its the same for Vodafone/Sky installs on the VM FTTH network) which means you can't swap out to your own router.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Advertisement