Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slimline Thermostat - Shelly Replacement

• 11-07-2024 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi,

I have a "Daikin Altherma 3 R F - EHVH-E6V" heatpump. There is an external thermostats upstairs which is a "Heatmiser Slimline-E V3".

This is how it is currently wired:

I want to be able to remotely control the heat-pump and call for heat upstairs using Home Assistant. I think I can use a Shelly Plus 1 in Dry Contact mode to replicate the volt free switching the Slimline is providing. I would hope to leave the Slimline wired in also to give temp readout in the room.

My wiring diagram would be as in this picture.

Any comments / suggestions?

I really don't want to risk damaging my heat pump!

Thanks,

Conor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Edit: Correction.

Hi, you have a miswire there.

The SW pole is for the wall-switch and not the output from the Shelly.

What you need to do remove the black wire from A2 on the stat and move it to Either 0 or I on the Shelly, then pass a wire from A2 into the other side of the relay on the Shelly1. So the Shelly in this case then 'gates' the output from the stat.

Make sense?

https://kb.shelly.cloud/knowledge-base/shelly-1-gen3#Shelly1Gen3-Basicwiringdiagrams

• Registered Users Posts: 26 condord

Hi, thanks so much for the reply.

In your configuration, am I right in thinking that the Slimline will no longer be able to call for heat on its own? If it calls for heat, but the Shelly is set to "off", the signal won't pass to heatpump. I was hoping that either the Shelly or the Slimline could call for heat. Reason being, it will be easy to hit a few buttons on the Slimline to call for heat, rather than having to go on the phone and call for heat through the Shelly.

You made me think though, the Shelly is designed to be used with a physical light switch which will turn on/off, as well as allowing on and off through interface. So you think I could wire it like a light switch, with the output of the Slimline going to the SW port on the Shelly? See this pic for my example.

Thanks,

Conor

In your configuration, am I right in thinking that the Slimline will no
    longer be able to call for heat on its own? If it calls for heat, but
    the Shelly is set to "off", the signal won't pass to heatpump

Correct. Effectively an AND gate. Shelly on AND stat on = Call for heat.

If you want to be able to call for heat using the Shelly, then wire up A1 and A2 to 0 and I on the Shelly. That would be an OR gate. Although that overrides the stat and means that the heating will be on full - if that's what you want.

You made me think though, the Shelly is designed to be used with a
    physical light switch which will turn on/off, as well as allowing on and
    off through interface. So you think I could wire it like a light
    switch, with the output of the Slimline going to the SW port on the
    Shelly? See this pic for my example.

Yes, that's probably the best way to smarten it up. If you setup the Shelly in toggle switch mode then you get remote control of the boiler OR the stat can be left to decide. You can then set an auto-off timer so that the Shelly doesn't stay on for an extended period.

The one catch is that if you manually switch on the Shelly then if the stat turns off it will also toggle the Shelly's output off.

If you're using Home Assistant you could setup the Shelly with something like the HA Smart Thermostat (PID controlled) as it works with a relay-driven heat source (as opposed to using variable control such as a valve of between 1 to 100).

https://github.com/ScratMan/HASmartThermostat/tree/master

You would need to have an input temperature device for the zone (target_sensor) and control device (switch of Shelly). Then you would need to put the climate PID into autotune mode and see if it gives you some good kP, kI or kD values.

climate:  
    - platform: smart_thermostat
    name: Smart Thermostat Example
    unique_id: smart_thermostat_example
    heater: switch.relay4_direct # invert_heater: True target_sensor: sensor.downstairs_trv_temp_median
    min_temp: 14
    max_temp: 25
    ac_mode: False
    target_temp: 19
    keep_alive:
    seconds: 60
    min_cycle_duration: 00:10:00
    min_off_cycle_duration: 00:04:00
    away_temp: 14
    kp: 5
    ki: 0.01
    kd: 500
    pwm: 00:10:00

Maybe that's OTT for you, but I hope it helps. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 26 condord

Yeh, I was hoping to do something like that once I have the setup working. I have temp sensors in all the upstairs rooms that I want to use to call for heat as opposed to just the Slimline in the bedroom. Thanks for your input.

• Advertisement
Advertisement