Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Getting out of electric

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭maidhc

grumble does this all the time. Mystery why she/he is not banned. Every thread gets destroyed by him/her being fundamentalist about EVs.

I stated the bit about “booting up the motorway”. Remote is not an option for me, being late isn’t, getting the train isn’t. We get called “thick” for saying such things here.

I wouldn’t mind, but I’m all for EVs, and have two “electrified” cars, albeit a pure hybrid and PHEV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭SharkMX

Its the same with EVs as in the cuycling forum are to cycling. They get all wound up if someone says anything they dont like about EVs or cycling.

Id say i have more experience with EVs than most in this thread, yet when i mention anything that might be perceived as negative about them, the hounds are out. Same in the cycling forum. I cant go there anymore, its full of evangelists who arent interested in real life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

If you have a problem with my posting, report it as you have. I’m sure the mods will intervene if I’m in the wrong. But there’s a lot of pot calling kettle black here considering your recent outbursts and childish put downs to other posters on here.

Don’t dish it out if you can’t take it and run off crying like a baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

This is an interesting post. Since you had one EV, what led your family to get a second, since that quite obviously brings it's own challenges with managing simultaneous domestic charging?

• Advertisement

You can daisy chain 2 EV chargers in your house to get 3.7kw charging to both cars.

Or you can charge each one alternately with one using the granny cable and the other using the 7kw charger.

That’s assuming both need a charge nightly. If the mileage works then you may only have to charge each one every other night.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I was in a two-car household for a long time, 1 was an Ioniq with about 180km of range, the other an e-Up! with about 90km. The e-Up! needed charging every other day, the Ioniq roughly every 4 days. It was remarkably easy to manage charging both cars from one charge point. Very occasionally we'd skip the timer based night rate charging as we'd knew both cars were needed. Charging in the afternoon isn't ideal for unit rates, but was fine for an occasional top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,384 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I know it can be done, but it's an extra thing to manage. We have a typical semi d house and garden from the 00's and it has a driveway but it would be painfully awkward to get two cars on a plug at the same time. Shuffling cars in and out would get old quickly, it also increases the odds of forgetting to charge too.

We are a single car EV household and if it ever comes that we need a second, in the short to medium term it would have to be ice.

The challenges of being a two car ev household are obvious and easy to recognise. I find it hard to understand why someone would go two ev when they had one and knew what kind of adjustments were needed if they weren't willing to do them

• Registered Users Posts: 9,147 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We have 2 EVs, a short range leaf and a standard range MG4… Simple answer to your question is that we don't simultaneously charge them and we get on fine. For our use case, the range in the batteries will comfortably do 4-5 days of work commutes, one of us works considerably further from home than the other so one of us usually charges on a Thursday night and the other on a Friday night

We had the Leaf first and the plan was to use an existing diesel for the long journeys but found we were using the leaf for them more often than not. This includes a few trips over the year to Dublin for gigs, matches, visiting people etc. Funnily enough the diesel de-facto became our short range vehicle for nearly 2 years so when its time came to an end we said feck it. 1 year later now we are considering getting rid of the leaf (which we bought second hand so its time is nearing) for another MG4 but definitely sticking with electric

Main charger in side entrance.
    Outdoor socket in front wall.

Parked correctly with the appropriate length cable, you can charge either EV on either side.

But it can depend on the garden layout and charge port of course. I had a Tesla and a 530e in the garden last week and the Zappi in the side entrance with a 7.5m cable could charge both cars without moving either.

Definitely an extra thing to manage but once it’s set up at the start there’s nothing to manage after that. I also have an outdoor socket on the front facade if I ever need to use a granny cable and it’s handy then for plugging in the Hoover for cleaning out any of the cars.

It’s a nuisance when 3 or more cars are over as they then block the inner 2 and you have to play car park dominos to get one out 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,434 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Some EV’s are cheaper to purchase than ICE and some ICE are cheaper to purchase than an EV.

It’s that obvious.

yeah so the previous statement I was replying to is incorrect.
    An EV is not cheaper than an ICE.
    Unless you’re comparing a new ICE with a new EV- then yes running costs will be cheaper.
    However a perfectly good second hand ICE bought for cash vs a brand new EV would not be cheaper to run. (due to loan costs being factored in).

Therefore the statement that I replied to would be false.

It’s that obvious 😉

Why on earth compare a second hand ICE with a new EV? Madness.

I can just as easily say a perfectly good second hand EV is cheaper than a new ICE.

I see your on about loans again as if the ICE magically appears in the driveway of the owner using fairy dust? Loans can be obtained for EV or ICE.

But what’s the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭User1998

Why would you compare a new EV with a second hand ICE😂

Why not compare a new EV vs a new ICE or a used EV vs a used ICE?

What a strange argument, obviously the newer car is going to be more expensive😂

Generally speaking, like for like, EV’s are cheaper to buy. But thats mostly because of government grants and cheap VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

and you win the reward for "Most ridiculous post of the day"

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It's really very easy. If you have 2 cars, usually that's because you have at least 2 drivers. Usually 1 person drives the same car and the other person drives the other car and each is responsible for ensuring their usual car is charged.

Most people would do fine with 2 cars and a single charge point. This is true in my own case, but I also have an outdoor socket I can use if we want to charge both cars.

We had an EV and an ICE. Neither of us wanted to use the ICE because the EV was just so much nicer to drive and it was only a Leaf! The cost of running the EV compared to the ICE put the nail in the coffin and we got a second EV within a couple of months of buying the first.

Stay Free

Likewise, a new ICE would be much more expensive to buy than a second hand EV. The EV would also be cheaper to run. Why are we pointing out the obvious here?

Stay Free

No, to dance with

Yes of course I mean to purchase but also to service and run they are cheaper

• Advertisement

it was only a Leaf!

Hey! You leave the Leaf alone!

I clearly said cash for the ICE.
    A 10k cash ICE could easily do 700kms on a tank- the same cannot be said about a 10k EV unfortunately

They are couldn’t be cheaper to run vs a cash bought ICE for say 10k though.
    So therefore in that case an ICE would be cheaper than an EV.

The EV would have a very limited range though.
    My point is to get an EV that has a decent range you’re going to need a large pile of cash or a loan.
    An ICE can do the range for a relatively small amount of cash vs an EV.

No it’s all linked though.
    If you need an EV to do long range it’s expensive to buy so most people need a loan.
    An ICE can do the range for a relatively small amount vs the cost of purchasing a long range EV- therefore no loan.
    So in groundbreaking news no loan is cheaper than loan when considering running costs for the car.

Advertisement