Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caulk one side of shower?

Options
  • 11-07-2024 6:46pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I noticed I have a very small section of silicone moving away from the wall, is it possible to recaulk one side of the shower or do I need to remove all of it? I've never used this stuff but realise silicone won't bond to itself, but if its going corner to corner would it be all right, as I've heard of tradesmen doing that when I asked around.

Or better to remove the whole thing, which is annoying for such a small patch, however it leaking again would be more annoying.

Do you need some sort of cleaning agent like methylated spirits/isopropyl alcohol even if the silicone comes away cleanly?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Silicone does bond to itself, however you're better off removing what's there (there are silicone removers) and redoing it, maximise the surface area of the silicone, I.e. get one of those plastic tools to give you a good finish rather than making it concave with a finger.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭robbie000

Well worth doing yourself, watch a couple of YouTube videos if you need to.

Tube of silicone anti mould for bathroom, silicone gun, tool like this for the finish of needed. https://amzn.eu/d/09h8kfLz

Can strip the old caulk out aswell tools for that aswell, just careful of using anything sharp to not scratch the shower.

Rob

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Thanks, picked up that stuff now!

Advertisement