Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beef Welfare Scheme 2024

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Organic here too, I don't think it's worth it. I only vaccinate for blackleg. Have they specified what vaccines have to be used yet?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Silverdream

No I am going doing the scheme, the meal and vaccine are covered what I meant was I only get 8 euro for my effort compared to if I was conventional I'd be getting 21 euro for myself.

Yes, doing for blackleg covers you for the scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭893bet

sorry when you said “I will just do the black leg” I thought you were skipping the meal.

Point of note is a lot of organic nuts/meal often don’t include mineral supplement. So will need to buy that seperate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭limo_100

can you not just join it and don’t feed any meal ? I wasn’t asked for any meal dockets last year for the scheme or anything like that. Didn’t hear of anyone getting an inspection either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Who2

I can see why lads can’t make money at sucklers if they are skimping on something as simple as a bit of creep feed pre weaning. Any lad suckling needs to be producing top stock and needs to be fed to its full potential. Grass from this time of year doesn’t have the protein to sufficiently push on weanlings. It takes the pressure off the cow and leaves her in good condition going into winter so she doesn’t have to be hard fed and you can sell your weanlings in their prime and moved early in the autumn before prices drop off. I’ve fed approximately 200 kg of meal fed to each of this years weanlings already which is less than 100 euros each and I’ve some bulls up on 400kg already one heifers calf weighed in at 408kg. These are the ones that will leave the most behind them.
    there is absolutely no point in keeping sucklers unless you’re going to try breed as good as you can and then push them on. If you’re not then your probably better off buying an Angus or Hereford bull and let them do what they do and forget about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Up until this year i would agree with you 100%, this year though has changed my opinion slightly.

Buyers for good cattle are getting scarce, they're just not willing to invest in a good animal, all they seem to want are very average stock bought cheaply.

Well said. I used to keep my weanlings onto store cattle and didn’t creep the calves. Changed the last two years and am getting almost the same money for weanlings that I was getting for store cattle with creep feeding the calves and cattle gone a lot earlier and finishing that my heifers for bulling are now better quality than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Sami23

Are many of ye going to vaccinate for Pneumonia or just go with the cheaper option of clostridial vaccines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Katie 2018

I'm going with bovolis one shot vaccine for pneumonia. Working out around 3.20 euro a calf.hopefully that will cover me

• Advertisement

I went with bovipast rsp and blackleg. I had some of the calves done for both in the spring but I done the remainder last week. Will have to redo them in a few weeks. At the same time I will give the ones from the spring a booster also before weaning. I find the bovipast and the ibr vaccines non negotiable the last few years.

How are lads getting on with feeding there weanlings just wondering are using creep feeders or feeding there calves a few kgs a day in a trough? I myself am using a creep feeder and the calves are milling the creep out of it in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 6 SimmentalT

Hi, does anybody know if you have to feed a targeted weanling ration? The t&c are a little vague. Thanks

Anything will do as you can purchase weanlings nuts.

in Organics so didn’t have a big choice. Just got “organic beef nut”, there are no minerals so bought a liquid mineral seperate. Hopefully it would stand up to an inspection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

closing date for this was yesterday- completely forgot to apply unfortunately. No late applications it says in T and C. Is it worth contacting them or is it a definite no anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Sami23

In a similar situation here, looked at the application 2 weeks ago,but cancelled before submitting, anyway looked again on Sunday and it had the option of "edit application" so presumed my planner had done it for me, only realised after the deadline that it recorded the date i viewed the application 2 weeks ago and i took it it was the day the application was made.

Submitted the application the following morning after the deadline and it went through, don't know if there will be any comeback, probably should ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

No will ring tomorrow morning, I'll post here how I get on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement