Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for App to help with fitness

• 12-07-2024 7:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Nearly 50. I go to the gym three times per week. Usually do some exercises from YouTube. Not looking for massive bulk, just good health, quality of life etc. Sometimes not sure if I am getting most out of gym.

Paid for a little bit of training but it can get very expensive. Also tried cross fit but too intense and repetitive - felt like better chance of getting injured than what I wanted which is to be able to do things like 5km park runs, play tennis and kick abouts without incurring a soft tissue injury or tendons flaring up

Was thinking of getting an app to help. Muscle monster looks good - would be about 45 euro per year. But wondering is there anything else anyone would suggest?

My problem with weights is I know how to do about ten upper body and ten lower body but could easily leave out a muscle group or get them in the wrong proportion and hence more injury prone rather than less. Also don't know what's a reasonable target. For example if I can do say 70kg calf raises, do I try to push to 85kg or keep it at 70kg and work on something else?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Train Heroic is a good app for logging training and also has decent programmes available to buy on there with exercise demos etc.

Also just for your own info, the actual injury research shows injury rates for CrossFit are very low. The average is about 1-3 injuries per 1,000 training hours. Running is much higher at 6.3 per 1,000 hours. Both are worth doing regardless for the health benefits.

Just think this is worth bringing to your attention as crossfit or similar small group strength training gyms can be an affordable way for people to get professional direction on what to be doing. Myself and (I think) several other posters on here started with crossfit and got a lot from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

That's very interesting, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

try Fitbod, here’s 14 days free

I use it and find it good

https://fitbod.app.link/ts2GYg2RaLb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Probably worth getting a personal trainer, some do it remotley and they'll set you up on a proper diet and training matched to you, they also keep you in check and they're always on call for any questions, it's not as simple as just not checking into an app. It is expensive but it works and they'll set you down the right road especially in the gym. Worked for me after messing around with apps for years.

Can pm somone i'd recommed if your're intrested, very good reputation.

I went from a personal trainer ( group training ) to the app and found the app to be a good substitute, with significant savings

• Advertisement

Do I need to own / wear Fitbit for this? And how much does app cost? Muscle monster is 45 per year.

about 70 per year , no watch needed

Yea that's what I'm saying, get a trainer and the basics down, like forum, nutrition, sets etc then off you go yourself. I see people who like Tim said they're doing something they've seen online, not a clue what they're doing. I'd only say something when they ask for help trying to work a machine etc.

The watch really depends on what you want to do, I'd definitely go for something with a blood oxygen monitor for night based on your age it's around mine. Really depends on how you're feeling now during the day. I've the Samsung watch 5 pro, pretty much does everything, you can pick them up cheap now, excellent day 2 day watch and the free Samsung app is very good. I don't have a Samsung phone. It replaced a Garmin that replaced a Fitbit, very happy with it.

Yeah take your point on the running and cross fit. Reality is I have lots of issues e.g. both knees have chondromalcia. So have to really watch out for them and make sure have some strength in leg muscles. Sometimes it flares up, sometimes it's fine. When you have lots of issues like this you can get more benefit from really understanding your body, your goals and your training. Knowing exactly what muscles each exercise works and if it hurts what other options you have

With my knees if I feel any pain I just stop and work on something else e.g. abs.

People with other body types can still do marathons or lift more weight but I need to work around limits.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Train Heroic is a platform with something for everyone, although some programmes require more experience going in than others. If you're not familiar with it, it's coaches delivering programming to a large group of people, through the app.

I think, based on what you have said, you could do worse than look at an alternative that is a bit more user friendly: Dan John University. Watch the intro video, generate a free workout, maybe try the trial.

Dan John is a very legit trainer, and for general health he's very straightforward won't get you hurt.

https://danjohnuniversity.com/

If there was a good small group training alternative to CrossFit in your area, I'd try that also.

Advertisement