Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Attempted burglary Aghamore shooting

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I am confident that most other posters are intelligent enough to know that that which is presented without evidence/authority can be dismissed without evidence/authority. I have given you references and offered to give you others if you have a specific question. You have provided merely your own feelings on matters.

I'd advise you to actually read the act rather than barstool waffling about "definitions". It is quite short. The principles applying to your hypothetical scenario were preempted and already explained in my earlier example about the bins. For "reasonable", it was also pointed out a few times that the standard is subjective and based on the defendants belief. Although, again, this does not provide not a licence to kill or maim or assault. You will need to convince a court of that honest belief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,077 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Again you are overthinking the situation. You do not need a gun safe for a single gun. You onlying require a trigger lock. The gun could be in your wardrobe . But in a way all that is immaterial.

Over the last decade several people have died or been severely injured during assaults after a break in. Would it be reasonable for a person to sleep with a shotgun by or under there bed if I in a rural area.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭JayRoc

That sounds pretty nightmarish, you have my sympathies.

I don't think I'd want to live somewhere I needed a gun to feel safe

Post edited by JayRoc on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You really presume a lot there Donnie,and you have had some lawyer training, probably in a freshman dorm drinking session, and it shows.

Weak on law argue the evidence, weak on evidence argue the law.Weak on both, attack your opponent personally.

You have shown all three in your last posts. And you are the utter LAST person to "advise" anyone here on anything.As you are obviously unqualified as a legal person, and if you are, WTH are you wasting your time on a social media chat group?

Have no real-world experience in these matters you are spouting nonsense on and back peddling on furiously now as well.

So I'll let you have the last word if you want it.But as of now,as I said before you have a lot to learn on how law actually works in real life in a courtroom and the really real world.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,448 ✭✭✭suvigirl

'And you are the utter LAST person to "advise" anyone here on anything.As you are obviously unqualified as a legal person, and if you are, WTH are you wasting your time on a social media chat group?

This seems ironic!

It is not advice, legal or otherwise. As mentioned, you are free to adduce any authorities for your assertions. So far you have failed to give any. Actually the only "information" you tried to provide was not directly related to the substantive topic of the thread, and was anyway incorrect.

"trust me bro" doesn't really cut it. I think the problem is that you are too focused on the issue of getting and keeping a licence - which is not what everyone else is talking about. You are confusing that with the issues dealt with in the 2011 Act which is what people are mainly talking around.

Again you are overthinking the situation. You do not need a gun safe for a single gun. You only require a trigger lock. The gun could be in your wardrobe. But in a way all that is immaterial.

Heckler has two guns,one possibly a restricted centrefire pistol[?]So that already requires a higher security grade than a single firearms license.Also, a licensing Superintendent can add any further requirements in security to a license as he sees appropriate.IOW dissembled with a trigger lock is the bare minimum requirement. The super could demand you get a safe and an alarm for example,because you live two fields across from Scumbag Villas estate.

Over the last decade, several people have died or been severely injured during assaults after a break in. Would it be reasonable for a person to sleep with a shotgun by or under their bed if I were in a rural area?

As the law stands yes it would be.As it is violating a few points of your license terms.HOWEVER, This is a situation that if you have put some forethought into such an incident happening,you can possibly walk away from in good shape. But like any emergency plan, you have to think about it and practise it before it happens in reality. This is something you cannot leave with the typical Irish attitude of "Ah shure be grand! Nuthin will happen!"

When was the last time any of you and your fam practised something simple like a house fire drill and evacuation? Never I'll bet! So how do you think it will work out in a situation like a home invasion?

Something just as adrenaline-pumping and traumatic as you now have to defend house and kin with a gun probably wholly unsuited to the task in a low/no light situation and you blundering about hitting furniture that you didn't see in the dark. Got a high intensity over 300K candlepower lamp with your gun?Have you practised holding it or got a quick attach mount to put it on your more than likely 28in double barrel shotgun? Know where all the choke points are in your house where you have to navigate this long gun thru? Do you know how to "Cut-the -pie" before entering and doing a room clearance,if you are actually this daft and not looking down your own shotgun barrels as the intruder ambushed you at a choke point?

Is it starting to sink in how difficult and downright dangerous and utterly removed this is from any Hollywoo nonsense you have seen?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

"trust me bro" doesn't really cut it. 

Said the man espousing such.

Not really as I said in a post previously,you would be a fool to take anyone, including mine,advice off the internet.

• Advertisement

As I've already said, if you have any specific questions on anything I have said, or have difficulty in finding the sources I have already pointed you towards, just let me know and I'll provide the direct link rather than quoting the section and paragraph.

What percentage of people have two or more guns. Yes in Heckker's situation he requires a gun safe but the majority of people have only one gun and only require a trigger lock.

You are grasping at straws now with house evacuations. The most important thing in the case of a house fire is a working fire alarm. There is three in my house that I check2-3 time a year.

The most important tim to do a check.on a fire alarm.is where the house has been empty for longer than 3-4 days. In the case where the battery is low the audible warning may haceceased in this situation. It's similar with monoxide alarms

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Only a single shotgun does not need a safe. A single rifle does.

Not your ornery onager

Nope! One Unrestricted firearm of either type.

What percentage of people have two or more guns. Yes in Heckker's situation, he requires a gun safe but the majority of people have only one gun and only require a trigger lock

I've got 12… The average is 3.5 in Ireland per licensed owner.So yes a safe is mandatory depending on their category. Also, remember it is a MINIMUM requirement of a trigger lock and any Superintendent can and will no doubt demand a gun safe be installed these days.

You are grasping at straws now with house evacuations. The most important thing in the case of a house fire is a working fire alarm. There is three in my house that I check 2-3 times a year.

It should be 2-3 times a Month

Good start…You are now aware your house is on fire…What are you going to do now? Sit and wait for the fire brigade to pitch up and rescue you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭drury..

That would be battery alarms that die . Not the case with modern alarms

Fire drill and escape would be important . Surprising the amount that lock themselves in their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CookingGuy

Am I crazy in thinking there should be no such thing as guns in this country?? You're really going to shoot someone because they set foot in your house and took some things?? You're going to kill someone over some possessions?? What does that say about you??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Yes, you are crazy.

What dose it say about the f@@ker robbing them. Along the west coast there has been over 5 people killed during robberies. One small shop owner was tied up 20 years back and left there to die it was in Charlestown in Mayo if I remember right

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 9,845 ✭✭✭buried

Exactly, we should let any yoke come into our domain and take what they want. I suppose I can break into your gaff tomorrow and take all your cooking gear?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement

Yes,Its called reckless discharge of a firearm with intent to endanger life. Look it up under the Firearms Act 1925/2007 act. Your "feelings" on the matter aren't going to change that it could be seen as an excessive use of force by a judge.

It says you are a dumb ass that didn't plan your home defence strategy out properly!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Yes.

But I live in the US, so I don't need to worry about any legal issues. I have the right to defend my property, and I have the right to the tools to effectively do it. When I'm 70 years old, I'm not attacking someone half my age with a bat.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CookingGuy

Apologies, I was being sarcastic, I fully support defending your home to the fullest extent, it's a shame previous generations gave up the right to own firearms so easily,as once a right is relinquished, it's impossible to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

There was never any such 'right' in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Yup. Never was. Its considered a privilige. Garda vetting, good reason, referees, access to medical records etc. Its not easy to get a firearms licence. And it shouldn't be.

I mentioned quick access to a gun being hard if its in a safe and got the shotgun in the wardrobe with a trigger lock response. Even if you do manage to fumble the key to your trigger lock out of your PJs where you obviously keep them when you sleep, find your cartridges in the dark and load your shotgun with your shaking fingers and finally use that shotgun to injure or kill someone you better be prepared to answer some very serious questions and be in a lot of trouble.

Is it right ? I don't think so. Just be prepared to go to prison if you go down that road. Is that worth it to preserve your life and the lives of your family and loved ones from people inside your home ? Absolutely. Is it worth it to blast away at someone trying to steal your car or possessions outside your house ? No its not.

Main point is anyone in Ireland storing firearms under the legal statute will not find them quickly accessible for any reason.

Advertisement