Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Rims for Rim Brake

• 12-07-2024 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi

I considering a used Road bike with Rim breaks, because there are some good deals out there since more and more seem to move to disc breaks (and rims always worked good enough for me).

Do you think over the next years Rims breaks/wheels will be hard to find/discontinued? Are there already signs that spare rims/wheels for rim breaks are getting less common?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Since you can still get friction levers for gear changing, I suspect you'll be ok with rim brakes for a long time to come. Might end up being largely on the cheap and lower-quality end of things though or the very expensive "classic" end of things, with the middle-quality range missing. But there are an awful lot of rim-brake bikes out there still.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There are also a larger range of mid to high end suppliers out there than ever before so I think so long as there is a market, there will be rim brake wheels. Low end suppliers will always be there so you will never be stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I thought there might be a shortage a few years ago so I filled my attic with wheels! But there was no need. Still easy to buy nice wheels and unless you're commuting or heavy wintering good wheels on a good bike last an eternity.

Advertisement