Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who would you rather hang out with?

• 12-07-2024 1:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

It's a Friday afternoon. You've been told you have spend at least six hours with a group of Americans.

Who would you rather hang out with?

a) A group of Trump supporters

OR

b) A group of Democrats?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Would I be liable for any murders committed in those 6 hours?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Charlo30

More of a Whig man myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,103 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Everyone is a Trump supporter deep down. Even the Sleepy fella. Bigly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…quit my job, fcuk that, lifes too short…..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

Strange question dynamic. Either a group of people who support one single named politician - or a group of people chosen from the entire political left?

I tend to avoid personality cults so I think I would have to choose the latter group solely because of how you phrased the question.

If you were to phrase it different and perhaps a little more fair - like a group of americans who lean politically right or politically left - I would probably choose the group on the political right. Solely because any time I find americans who are into the same things I am into - they tend to end up being on the political right. Even though I lean left myself on many political issues - when it comes to americans I just find more common ground socially with those of the right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

…tis a long time since the dems were a left party……

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Why would anybody want to spend time with supporters of a criminal who should be in jail?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,451 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Democrats every time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

If it was just for 6 hours then the trump supporters. Hopefully you might get some reasoned debate in 6 hours or at least some understanding of how / why they choose trump. Granted you could get a crowd of the absolute headcases you see on tik tok in which case I'd sit back and enjoy the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Don’t really get the obsession with US politics.

Reformed character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I'd come across as quite a gobshte but then the democrats would'nt know how to deal with me. Do I get any compo in case of death?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Saps or psychos, hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Is there an option of RFK or Jill Stein supporters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

The correct answer is

C) Whoever has the most beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,785 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭Saladin Ane

Like KFC or Wendy's. Same meat with different crap on top. I'll pass on that one. Next please!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,454 ✭✭✭✭Esel

.. .

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

Republicans, I like my food down home and well done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭ottolwinner

Back at the 2nd last election I used to work in tour guiding here in Ireland. I enjoyed the mix of political opinions at the dinner table and the funny thing was how they got on regardless of political opinions. Their common reason for being in Ireland over ruled any other feelings I think.
    Americans I’ve met are all very tolerable and good people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

One rule; don't talk politics.

Now who do you chose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Would that post not suggest that the whole ovorton window in the US leans left, if a left leaning irish person lines up with a supposedly right leaning American?

or maybe this supposedly left leaning irish man is actually leaning right all along (same as myself I think, tbh)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Pamela Adrerson in 1994

Yeah, like totally, what a bunch of douche bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Trump ones/Republic ones. Mostly they are working class, have fairly traditional values and are aware that Trump while being a plaster saint is at least not the second coming of Hitler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,225 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonage

Probably the Trump supporters because snooker isn't very popular in America and it would be interesting to hear their perspective on the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,489 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

I think you mean me. This need people have to import left/right polito-speak into our Irish discourse is about as interesting to me as paint drying. (Less so in fact as paint drying actually does one or two fascinating things). But I would say politically no I was never "right leaning all along" generally. If I did live in American I believe I would be a democrat voter.

I have campaigned pro drugs (coming from a legalise nearly them all mentality) for a long time. I was insanely active campaigning on and off stage, on and off line, door to door and more supporting the abortion and gay marriage referendums. I've worked against the church and religion in politics. Very pro regulated sex work laws, contraception, early and comprehensive sex education in schools. Very pro the arts and science and anti woo. I just had a multi post argument with people where I was pointing out that it seems gay parents can parent every bit as well, with essentially equal outcomes, as the nuclear family unit.

I have always been told these positions are all very left. But as you say the window of what it means feels like it has shifted rather than I have shifted. That, and people have politicised things that were not always political in the past. Saying you are for or against taking a vaccine for example can have you being told you are "left" or "right" extremist. I was told I was a total leftie recently solely because I said I did not believe in using any level of violence when teaching, controlling, correcting, or disciplining my children.

For example. I have been historically quite close to being a Free Speech Absolutist, and remember fondly the Stephen Fry / Christopher Hitchens 2 hour talk on Free Speech. And I worked against the Blasphemy Law. Always told this was all extremely leftist. But these days if someone on or off line start telling me what words I can or can not use - what I can't say - what is "wrong speak" or "wrong think" it invariably turns out to be someone identifying with the American left strongly. I read 1984 when I was relatively young, and the concept of the Ministry of Truth was one of the most terrifying things I ever read. And yet I see actual examples of it in the world today from these people.

I can barely tell these people I quite enjoyed a Dave Chapelle special without a full tirade about how he is anti Trans (he isn't) made offensive punching down jokes (he didn't) and that his friend Joe Rogan takes horse medicine (which he really really never did and yet there are still those on this very forum who keep repeating it despite being schooled to the contrary multiple times).

I am not rabidly anti gun and even have taught my kids how to maintain and fire rifles since they were 8 (Daugther then son). Also taught them martial arts and self-defence since they were 3. For this I have been told I am some right wing MAGA extremist with NRA associations or something. I like to go hunting. Told this is "right wing" too. I was once literally asked due to my doing exercise and weights - if I was some kind of right wing trumper. What has weight training got to do with politics?

But this is all personal subjective anecdote from online weirdos and a few stand out weirdos I meet here in Ireland. I strongly suspect that 99% of actual on the ground Americans are pretty centrist and not like any of these nut jobs. And a night out with a group of either voting demographic would be equally pleasant and indistinguishable.

Online and socially I have just noticed generally that if I am sharing a good time, interests, comedy and more they almost invariably turn out to be republican voting types. If I feel a skin crawly need to make myself aware of the exits - not so much. And I am not entirely sure why this is. It's definitely recent. And it's definitely sudden.

Advertisement