Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Blacklisting and is it Legal?

Options
  • 12-07-2024 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello there, I have a problem in work and I'm looking for advice.

I work in a large organisation and applied for a promotion and was successful a few months ago, at first I was excited even though I wasn't super experienced on the department I was moving to I figured I would just fake it till I made it, anyways I really tried but I just couldn't fit in and the job just didn't click with me.

I asked if it were possible to go back to my old role, and my manager said that if I did I would never receive a promotion in the organisation again regardless or suitability or experience.

My question is does this qualify as being threatened with being blacklisted and if so, is that even legal under Irish law? I searched online but couldn't find anything specific to my situation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,519 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Your manager is giving you helpful advice that you will likely be perceived as "not being able to make the step up" and this will stand against you for future promotions because others may think the same will happen again

it's not blacklisting, just reputational damage — you won't be on a written list anywhere if that is what you are afraid of but hiring managers will likely be aware of the situation through the office grapevine

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Management are very much judged on their decision making skills and so most will not take a chance on someone who has already demonstrated their inability to move up…. As for the law, that is something to discuss with a solicitor, but putting your inability to move up on record, might not be a wise approach from a practical point of view.

As for the job itself, you are only a few months in and getting used of a new set of responsibilities so give it a chance. If you are not satisfied in a year so then think about moving on. Your manager is giving you wise counsel, it's up to you what you do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭Ted222

I think what your manager is alluding to is how you’re likely to be perceived if you do revert - someone perhaps who doesn’t have what it takes to operate at the higher level.

I know you might argue that it’s the particular role that’s the issue rather than the higher level, but if you do revert, why would the company take a chance in promoting you again with the risk that you might do the same again?

Your manager is doing you a favour by pointing out the reality. He could just as easily have allowed you to revert and you would be left wondering in a couple of years why you couldn’t get promoted again.

Advertisement