Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's- Awful customer service

Options
  • 12-07-2024 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

So I bought a pair of Samsung Earbuds yesterday in Curry's took them home and paired up with my phone to listen to music and initially they played the music perfectly then after about 10 minutes the sound started breaking up intermittently. Then the issue would stop for a while before acting up again.

Anyway brought them back to Curry's told them of the issue and they said they would need to test them out themselves before they'd replace them or give me a refund. Anyway they said they couldn't find any issues with them and to come back if I had any further issues. Why not just give me a refund there and then had a similar issue with a tablet I bought in Powercity a while back and they replaced it there and then no questions asked. Considering the small claims court now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Raichų

so do the headphones work or not?

Edit: also re the tablet, was it open and used? Was the fault replicated in the store?

At the end of the day they don’t have to just give you a refund especially when you’re claiming a fault they can’t replicate. Also besides that you’re not entitled to an automatic refund. They have the option of either

Repair, replace or refund. If the headphones are faulty why didn’t you just ask for an exchange?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Raichų

sorry, I edited my post to add further details I hit post too early.

I just can't see how it's an issue for a big company like Curry's to give out a refund. They said they'd check the earphones out if I left it in the shop for the rest of the day and they'd phone me but they never did.

I used to work in retail myself and usually it's easier to just agree with the customer and give a refund. Like I was saying earlier in Powercity they replaced my tablet with a new one straight away no questions asked I would've expected similar from Curry's. It's just a case for the shop of sending the item back to Samsung for them to be refunded I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,553 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Presumably because some returns which are claimed to be due to a fault, are actually due to buyers remorse. There is no great surprise that they wanted to check if there is actually a fault with the product.

• Advertisement

I was willing to accept a replacement either initially but given how poor they've been now I want a full refund and I'll get a replacement somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

In my experience, Currys are a bunch of cnuts and I wouldn't buy a toothbrush there if it came with a free 60" TV. Something would inevitably go wrong.

In any case, it's not always easier to just agree with the customer and give a refund. It sounds like you went in for a refund, rather tan a replacement, which probably sent up a red flag. Customers lie and sometimes calling their bluff is a little inconvenient, but stops a high level of customers just looking for refunds when they change their mind. It shouldn't matter if it's a corner shop, or a multi-million euro chain store. The same principles should apply.

If the problem is genuine, go back and show them. If it takes 10 minutes, or an hour for the problem to happen, take their time up and insist a staff member is there with you waiting for the problem to pop up. Might only take a couple of minutes before they decide it's easier to issue a refund, but if I was dealing with you, I would offer a replacement, not a refund.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 10,911 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Actually if the fault is major i.e item never worked or fault present from first use, you are entitled to a full refund and you do not have to accept a replacement or repair. As said above I would go in and stay until the issue started again so that they could hear it.

Sorry if the thread came across as a bit of a rant. I did that today but I was under a bit of time pressure when I went back anyway going to go back and do what you're saying.

I was silly buying it in Curry's only got it there as they were charing 20€ less than Harvey Norman and Powercity. Anyway will know in future to avoid Currys .

Doesn’t change the fact that they are right to test them and see if the fault lies with the Earbuds, or the connectivity of your phone.

• Advertisement

Where does it say a retailer must issue a refund if the item never worked, or had issue during first use, or anything similar?

The 3 Rs still apply, but it would be unusual for a retailer to not offer a replacement under such circumstances absent any signs of damage possibly caused by customer.

Funny story:

I opened a TV from Harvey Normans a few years back. I pulled what I thought was the protective film from the screen, but actually turned out to be a non-removable screen film that turned the screen beneath it white. It was an LG screen and a pretty píss poor design imo because there was a good millimetre border which made it easy to pick the corner and start peeling. It was arguably customer damage, but Harvey Normans replaced it on the spot. The guy said I was the second person returning the same TV that day and there were a few in the warehouse going back to the manufacturers. I didn't ask how regular an occurrence it was, but noticed signs on the same TVs a couple of weeks later warning customers not to remove the screen film.

Stay Free

We all need to rant now and again. This is a good spot for it 😂

And you should rant because it's Currys ☺️

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Sarn

Consumer rights concerning faulty goods changed at the end of 2022. Within the first 30 days you have a legal right to a refund if faulty.
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/shopping/problems-with-faulty-goods/

Also when tried phoning the store it went to a call centre and not the shop why would a shop not have a phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

To keep the staff free to serve people and for phone callers to talk to service advisors who can trouble shoot/advise/refer to website.

Because it is a chain, not a standalone shop. It is reasonable for a chain of stores to have a central customer support call centre. Also, if your gripe is that they checked the fault rather than automatic, unchecked refund, that is not poor customer service, it is entirely reasonable. Of course if the fault is reproducible/confirmed, they are required to refund you, but to be entitled to that refund, they confirm the fault.

I’m surprised, if you did indeed work in retail, that you don’t understand why there would be a policy of checking the fault first.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭JamBur

Years back, Currys used have a dedicated forum here, where their CEO at the time (Declan Ronayne) used reply directly. They were decent to deal with, and in store the experience was good as well.

They have fallen a long way from those days! I work near Currys in Cork, when you go in there the level of staff interaction is abysmal. They either hide, or have zero genuine knowledge on their products.

As an earlier poster said, Harvey Norman have them beaten on price and service.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an Argos and pulled out of their Irish operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭fido_dido

Harvey Norman would always price match if you show its cheaper else where. I hate Currys as well! Awful after sales support if you run into issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

Fwiw, I have a pair of Bluetooth headphones which are excellent, but if I cycle in busy built up areas they glitch a bit, I presume due to interference from loads of other Bluetooth devices. Once I'm out of the city they work fine again. Don't suppose it could be that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭JVince

You used to work in retail yet you have no clue whatsoever about the basics of returning goods.

I sincerely hope you no longer work in retail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kurooi

I had issues with them years back with a laptop, it was an obviously faulty unit and they had me going back 3 times, sending it off to manufacturer, wiping it every time no offer of replacement, store credit every right declined and eventually just told me it's off warranty now lol go call manufacturer yourself.

Never shop in currys. Trash place.

But I've literally gone to other shops where they've replaced/refunded faulty items without question. I presume most shops don't want the hassle and can get their money back from their supplier without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭893bet

Anyone defending curry’s has clearly never bought from them and had an issue. A total shite hole these days.

For electronics just buy from Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't know why anyone would think returning earphones that have been in someone's manky ears and expecting a full refund no questions asked

That’s a silly thing to say in the context of the op’s issue.

If the items are indeed faulty, Currys have to refund, no argument, that isn’t good customer service, it’s a legal requirement. But for that to occur, they are right to check and see if a fault exists, rather than someone who buys an electronic item, then decides they don’t want it.

The op’s gripe isn’t that they refuse a refund on a faulty item, it’s that they had the cheek to test the earbuds and having found no issue, asked him/her to allow for further testing. In the ops view, shops should save themselves hassle, by having a no-fault-check policy of handing back money on items returned.

What they did is not bad customer care, pointing that out isn’t an indicator that I have never bought anything in Currys, I have, and have had issues dealing with them. But in this case, the op is jumping the gun, which it hard to reconcile with his/her claim to have worked in retail.

Post edited by Dav010 on

You actually have a right to a refund now if the fault occurs within the first 30 days according to the Consumer Rights Act 2022.

“You have a legal right to return something faulty if the issue occurs within 30 days. You can return the product and get a full refund.

You must tell the seller you are ending the contract. You can do this verbally or in writing. You must return the goods to the seller. The seller must cover the cost of the return. They can ask you to cover the costs of the return upfront and refund you once they receive your return.

The seller must give you your refund within 14 days. The refund must be in the same form as the original payment, unless you agree some other method.

The 30-day period is shorter for goods with a short shelf life.

If the issue occurs after 30 days, you can ask for the goods to be repaired or replaced, ask for a refund or withhold a proportionate amount of any outstanding payment that you owe.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Just go in demonstrate the issue with the glitching

Profit

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭HorseSea

@Sadb Would that apply to UK purchased items via Amazon? Or is it a UK thing?

No that’s an Irish statute act, I’m not sure where you would stand for items purchased from the UK. I suspect they probably have similar acts but which applies to us I’m unsure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭JVince

But Currys have not been able to replicate the fault. If a fault can't be shown then there are no rights to return.

My guess is the op doesn't know how to work them.

Advertisement