Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cracks in Tyres

• 13-07-2024 1:38pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

just noticed cracking in tyres. Not that old.

GP5000 with limited mileage

never noticed until now

Looks ok to me but probably needs replacing soon.

thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Had similar with a pair of gp 5000s earlier this year, only about 1000kms on them on winter/spring roads... I'll never buy them again. Just not good enough for 50 euro tyres.

I'd bin them, a huge chunk of rubber could flake off or at worst completely split altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

can happen if you over inflate yout tyres.

Can do but you'd want to be putting some serious pressure in there for that to be the cause, they're rated up to 110/120psi most people would be well below that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

i would generally inflate to 120 psi but never had any issues with that pressure over the last 12/15 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭gmacww

120? Jesus that’s track pressure that. 5000 at 25mm width the max pressure is 120 but best not to ride that unless it’s perfectly smooth road. I normally ride 25’s at 6bar (about 90).

• Advertisement

Same. 120 is crazy high for Irish roads. I'd usually go 80 90psi with tubes, max.

Having said that I wouldn't blame the pressure on the tyres failure, they're just poor quality, 4000s were my go to tyres for years, two sets of 5000s in and I'm done with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I’ve had a pair of GP’s prematurely crack on me too. But I’ve had others that have lasted for a good while.
    Im pretty confident the cracked ones happened due to where I stored the bike: it was in cheaply made shed that went through considerable temperature changes. We have another block shed for storage, which i never had the issue when I stored the bike in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

120? Sweet Jesus. 80/90 is more than enough on Irish roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I do 100 psi in front and 110psi in rear. Have always done. Haven't seen cracks like that in GP5000's 23 mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

GP 5000 on 3 bikes with no issue. Great tyre.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I once read that 1psi per kg of body weight is a good ballpark for 25mm tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭G1032

https://silca.cc/pages/pro-tire-pressure-calculator

120 is very high alright.

Even at rider weight of 100kg in birthday suit plus 10kg bike and allowing 4kg for gear, shoes, food and water, 90psi should be plenty enough for 25s on Irish roads.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Have had same issue with 5000s, lots of cracking

Changed to pirelli

90psi generally for tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Moved to Schwalbe Pro Ones a few years ago after having cracking issues with GP5Ks. Think the previous tyre was better suited to Irish roads/more durable.

Advertisement