Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SA v Ireland test 2

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I'd question why the ARs didn't intervene at that point. Presumably they can hear the TMO too? That whole reffing team was pretty abysmal across the 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

I'm sure that question will occur in their assessor review. Wouldn't characterise their performances as 'pretty abysmal', but certainly not their at their best.

Would anyone here have seen all the Tier 1 games over both weekends and thought the officials at the SA v Ire games were as good, better or poorer than their colleagues at the NZ, Aus & Arg games ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I saw a few comments on youtube pages as well, in case anyone is wondering if the ball did hit the ground on both…

Top one is the end drop goal as you can see Kolbe on the ground to the right, bottom one you can see the score. You can see why the second one was a bit wobbly, the ball seems to be at a bit of an angle and the first one the ball is dropped straight down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Because a drop goal has to touch the ground before it is kicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

It would be quite difficult to kick a ball that close to the ground if gravity was still taking it down. You'd get a really heavy contact. You can tell by the contact and flight of the ball that it was a drop.

Glass half full way of looking at it: at least rugby is attracting fans who've never kicked a ball in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Honestly feel that is a potential citing. For the sake of balance, I think there's a potential case for Doris to answer too after seeing all the angles of him dropping his weight onto Marx's leg.

But yeah, the head collision was fairly obvious in real time when watching live. I think most people thought there was an instant need for it to be looked at it again.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Was that Kriel again? Seems to have a TMO invisibility cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭geotrig

no visible bicep so must be pollard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Schorpio

I think so too, but even this is mental to me.

All Dickson knows is that the TMO is trying to get his attention. He has no idea what for. To just go 'nah, can't hear you mate, play on' in that context is really, really odd to me. It could have been serious head contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭RoscommonHero

Dickson should be hugely relieved the drop went over at the end.

Otherwise there would be a far harsher spotlight on the crazy miscommunication that led to the pen on McCarthy not being overturned.

Beirne jackal and Pollard hit on Doris were also highly contentious. We got very little from the officials in both games overall. And we really should be highlighting their failures.

One other bug-bear of mine is the inconsistency when it comes to refs saying "clock stopped". For example, some will say it when a scrum is being reset for example, and some won't. It's ridicilous how arbitrary it is - if you are down a few points late in the game and the ref isn't stopping the clock for a reset scrum it is incredibly frustrating as the clock is ticking away.

They stop the clock when they want to talk to the front rows or if the TMO or AR has something to add. I've not seen them do it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,498 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I do wish the clock would automatically stop when scrums are called, and start when the ball emerges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭standardg60

Pretty fair analysis from Tas here, agree both Doris and Ryan could have seen yellow for the croc roll..

Doris broke Marx' leg apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FtD v2

Serious injury list on their side. Mostert's leg was broken too, and PSDT is described as out for 4-6 weeks.

Couple observations, how people can so easily spout "alternative facts" or untruths when the facts are so easily obtainable. And also just wanted to show that, while it was not said on here, that the complaints that the ball was not dropped is so obviously not true. The old adage, the lie is around the world before the truth has even gotten out of bed and all that…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Not Marx….

Rassie Erasmus on Tuesday delivered a sobering update following the second Test against Ireland, naming Marx on a lengthy Bok injury list that also includes Franco Mostert and Pieter-Steph du Toit.

The Bok coach said that Marx had suffered “a little bit of a tibia fracture” and expected him to be out for up to six weeks, but it is understood that a fractured tibia typically takes upwards of three months to heal.

“Franco is out for six weeks, he broke his leg,” Erasmus said.  “Malcolm, I just heard now, he’s got a little bit of tibia fracture, when he got injured.

“Edwill is out for six weeks and Pieter-Steph is out for four to six weeks. But, all will be ready for the second Test of the Rugby Championship, apart of the guys who are out for six weeks.”

• Administrators Posts: 53,881 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Imagine playing for like 30 minutes with a fractured tibia. 😳

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Ben Bailey

I did a random (pro club matches only) survey some years ago, stopping & starting clock at scrum award & restaring on ball back out of scrum, so as to take scrummaging time out of the game (clearly I have a lot of time on my hands 🙂).

Average playing time (incl lineouts) was 54 mins. That's min 26 mins given to what is designed as a mechanism to restart play.

Watching a test in 1977 on Youtube and it takes maybe 3 seconds for the scrum to form and engage. Have a look here at 13:10 and how quickly they get it going.

1997 First test with the Lions against South Africa and from the kick off a scrum as the ball goes out on the full, from kick off to when the ball is out of the scrum is 32 seconds on the clock. The ball was kicked off, went out on the full, players had to run back to halfway, scrum bind and engage, took 3 seconds for Vd Westhuizen to get to the scrum as he was getting a ball, South Africa had momentum and kept the ball in the scrum but then released it, all in 32 seconds. What has happened to the game?

Match starts at 7m05 and the scrum is done at 7m40 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Watching it back and it's stunning watching the power of Ox! What a performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Is it just me or are there a lot less citings these days? You look at this incident which is potentially red card, the jack Crowley incident where he was taken out with what looked like head contact, which is potentially red, and there was a lot of blood at the start of the game and HIAs, and I thought furlong was lucky with what seemed like a forearm to obe of the SA heads. Incidents that definitely seem serious enough to warrant a ref check but nothing during the game.

Are they hesitant to say that things were missed during the game or has the pendulum swung back to ignoring but the most blatant and serious issues?

I noticed that Furlong forearm too, it was on Mostert. He was already bleeding at that stage so you could see the blood mark on Furlong's bandage right where he made contact.

Advertisement