Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best scene from The Sopranos

Options
  • 14-07-2024 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭

Hard to believe after almost a couple decades, still the highest ranked TV series of all time?

(or did it fall 2nd to Breaking Bad)

Still though, great cast, great acting.

Bizarre it revolves around gangster culture (which any civilized person will deplore). Compared to the likes of "Kin" shot here in Ireland, it might as well have been a different genre.

But I think it's the allure of the individual characters that lent itself to the series success. They had class (unlike "Kin").

Directing was so damn good throughout the series also.

It blended the satire with seriousness so well.

I can't exactly put my finger on what appeals to me about this scene, but for some reason it never gets old.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah Pauli and Chris were great together and for that reason this is my favourite scene

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Started watching it for the first time lately and find the storyline really obvious and predictable and some of the scenes ridiculous. People had told me how great it was and maybe it was - at the time it originally aired, but there's been so much since then that I don't find it impressive in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Photobox

Evidently Chickentown scene

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭drury..

Anything with richie and beanzy lol

A lot of ott characters in the show

Id probably pick a scene with Phil Leonardo in it

"Whatever happened there " 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Newbie12345The

Finn describing what Vito was up to with the security guard…Award winning performance from Pauly there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭thegame983

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Luna84

The intervention and calling Christopher weak is so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,594 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

In the process of watching it at the moment and one thing I'm struck by is how much comedy there is in it.

Not slap stick comedy but really funny writing and direction.

There's a scene with Tony and Gloria Trillo on his boat, Irina calls Tony and pretends to be from AJ's school and Gloria clocks it but doesn't let on initially and Tony tries to hide it. But then Gloria flips out and they get in to it a bit, the scene ends with Gloria taking a gift she had brought for Tony, throwing it out the window in to the water and leaving. The camera pans to Tony and he's just there with a look that says 'What just happened? These women will be the death of me, they're just. never. finished'. Excellent direction.

But in terms of best scene? This is it for me. From 2:18 in particular.

I don't know if this scene hits differently for someone who doesn't know truly what long term clinical depression is, but as someone who unfortunately can speak to that, this scene is perfect. Every little thing about it, the anger, the frustration, the despair, the hope that there's an answer that explains everything… and the fact that there isn't. This, for me, is one of the best scenes in television.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

There’s no scraps in my scrapbook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Iguarantee

I’ve watched the whole thing four times and it’s still the best to show I’ve ever seen.

The best scene and my favourite scene may not be the same scenes.

The flip-flopping between “it’s a retirement community” Vs. “It’s a nursing home!!!” Always made me laugh.

I reckon the best scene is probably one with Tony & Melfi Tony & Carmella.

Melfi: something where Tony goes on a diatribe about something and almost (incorrectly) speaks for Melfi while doing it.

Carmella: The whole thing where he mocks her for wanting “a simple gold chain and a Hyundai” is superb.

One of the amazing things about the show is that each time I watch it through a different character shines.

1st time: Tony

2nd time: Carmella

3rd time: Christopher

4th time: Silvio

It's the funny scene scenes in the sopranos that u remember

Carmine talking to pauli about paulis father " didn't he get run over by a trolley"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭pavb2

I like the scene where Vito’s cutting the wood and keeps looking at his watch the Jimmy Brown song when he died was also memorable

• Registered Users Posts: 25,368 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Finn : “Vito was blowing the security guard.”

Paulie : “Son…..uv…..a…..bitch ! “ Brilliantly done 😸

Carlo : “ catchin ? Not pitchin ?”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

This really resonated with me. I felt every word to be honest. Nobody like Gandolfini.

Still one of my fav TV shows and I could watch it over and over again. The comedy element is absolutely fantastic. One of my all time fav lines was after Jackie Jnr was killed. Uncle Junior to Tony - "wasn't the kid always a dumb ****? didn't he almost drown in 3 inches of water? Tony, yeah, at the Penguin exhibition"

The writing is pure quality

Tony talking to Johnny Sack about power sharing and his reaction

Feech la mana " my nephew has this neighbourhood" lol

It's those moments that I remember

Quite a few of the characters are a hard rewatch for me anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Any scenes with Richie or Ralph in them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

+1 for Chris's intervention.

"This is non-judgemental"

Ends with them all just beating the **** out of Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

When Junior got his hand stuck in the sink!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Not a chance its fallen to Breaking Bad, the writing in Sopranos is unrivalled.

There wasn't an unmemorable character in the show, Gandolfini was obviously amazing. Absolutely reprehensible people but you couldn't help rooting for them, so many comedy moments, so many emotional moments, endlessly quotable. I have watched it 20 times over at this stage.

These characters were larger than life, so many different sides to them, no character was the same. Chris, Paulie, Silvio, Junior, Jonny Sack, Feech, Richie, Bobby, Ralphie.

Best TV drama of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Comedy elements were on point, and yeah, they were of a very kind of specific nature.

Exemplified in one of the final scenes:

Responses of the college students etc., it's a little bit predictable dark humour (bringing out a humour in a dudes faces getting crush by wheel), but I guess that was the comedy trend at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When Ralf prank calls Paulies mother was funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

This was very tastefully done.

Justified, as Fat Dom had just bludgeoned another character to death himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Adriana: You killed my dog while you were high.

Paulie: Why? Was it barking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Newbie12345The

Advertisement