Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best scene from The Sopranos

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

The golf scene always has me in absolute stitches

“Stupida fúckin’ game”

“You gotta bee on yo ‘at”

Finished off with Tony flicking the tape recorder into the pond with…just answer his calls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

The consistent quality of the show is phenomenal. Funnily enough I don’t rate the Pine Barrens episode that highly.

Best scenes -

Ralphie beats Ttacee to death (definitely NSFW)

Also the build up in the Long Term Parking episode to the killing of Adrianna (again NSFW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I always like that scene where Tony is in hospital reading about dinosaurs and he explains to Chris that if the earth's history was represented by the empire state building then human civilization would only be a tiny window at the top. He says to Chris something like "Do you realise how insignificant that makes us?" And Chris replies "I don't feel that way".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I had forgotten about the Jewish psychiatrist. That was a great scene. Lots of Carmela's faults on display here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,616 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

From a few days ago ^^^ John Ventimiglia and Dominic Chianese ... Chianese is 93...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,215 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I loved the scene with Chris at the gas station, watching the white trash family, after he learned about Ade and the Feds. You can see him choosing money over Ade, without him saying a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,817 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's him. Doesn't Chianese look fantastic! Not just how he looks, but his mind still seems to be sharp. Saw an interview with cast members some while back and you could see Paulie's mental decline clearly on screen but Chianese seemed sharper than he was on the show. Which obviously is a testament at how well he played a character with declining mental facilities. He did it so well and they allowed it to happen over several seasons as it would in real life. Very well done.

Yeah I saw the one you're talking about, Paulie was a shadow of his younger self.

Not stuck into any TV show at the moment and another run at the sopranos may be in order. Don't know how many times I've watched it all the way through but it's still brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

What other TV shows come anywhere close?

I mentioned "Breaking Bad", but that got shot down by other enthusiasts.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another scene I like is when Brendan hijacks the truckload of suits making Tony throw a wobbler with Christopher and then have to give them back but Silvio tries a suit on and asks can they keep a few 😁

Breaking bad very different but still brilliant, it's very unrealistic though.

Almost a cliché at this stage but the wire is just as good as the sopranos. Not looking to start which is better debate!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

For comedic moments I always loved the Commendatori scene. The lads all headed over to Naples for the episode and despite all their talk of being traditional Italians and being proud of their culture they're a bit like fish out of water over there.

I always liked the end of the Long Term parking episode where Adriana gets killed. There's a beautiful song at the end of the episode called Wrapped in My Memory by Shawn Smith. It was such a fitting and moving song for the end of that episode. 

I'm a huge fan of The Wire. It's very similar to The Sopranos in that it doesn't glorify any characters on either side of the divide and I loved the way it focused on different strands of society in each of the 5 seasons with a still overarching storyline. It is let down by the final season where they didn't fully flesh out the main storyline to see the best way to play it. It felt rushed and as a consequence, poorly thought out and probably unbelievable where the realism of the rest of the show was a big part of why it worked. But even so, it was still excellent and some of the other seasons were outstanding television.

I watched like 85% of Breaking Bad all the time waiting for it to 'Click' for me before saying, 'Nah' and never watching the rest of it.

I put Love Hate up there with these shows to be honest, probably because of the Irish connection but it was an excellent show also. Nidge weasel held his own with any of the characters from the other shows outside of maybe the elite elite.

I watched like 85% of Breaking Bad all the time waiting for it to 'Click' for me before saying, 'Nah' and never watching the rest of it.

Funny I felt that way about The Wire.

I was just waiting for that moment where it was like, "okay I got it, I can watch it now".

Granted I only gave it three episodes but, that moment never came.

It seemed the director really doubled-down on the "street cred", "Mr Slick" persona the majority of the characters exude. That absolutely does not float my boat.

Breaking Bad, for me? That idea that a genius chemist, outstanding academic who took **** all his adult life, just went to sideways, whilst being accompanied by the hilarity of a high school drop out and some gun totting maniac Mexican….. I found how those roles play out nothing short of absorbing.

Versus the "Street Cred", "Mr Slick" trying-too-hard persona's apparent in The Wire?

But I'm always amazed by how highly so many viewers rate it…..

it's very unrealistic though

No argument there.

The actual transition from "good guy high school teacher and father" to, "law breaking miscreant" was not even remotely smooth.

Regardless of the plot, the majority of the characters and their attitudes relative to their roles were just so on point, it was hard to criticize that too much.

If one wanted to "get into" The Wire, any recommendation for a specific episode or season to start with?

I tried the first two or three and couldn't summon the interest to try any more. (same with "Narcos")

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

This, this was glorious. Think its the only scene in the whole series where the "voice" is a monologue in someone's head (other than Tony's dreams) Perfectly sums up the mob guy doing actual work and cant handle it, vs the feeling we've all had when bored/doing something monotonous and trying not to look at the time (aka school)

Bonus point, Vito eating ribs while driving has always stuck with me, for such a throwaway scene that meant nothing.

Double bonus point, Paulie throws a chair at a ghost

The wire needs to be watched from season 1 first, wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Strange you mention narcos, that's right up there too. It's brilliant. Top 5 brilliant.

Bonus point, Vito eating ribs while driving has always stuck with me, for such a throwaway scene that meant nothing.

That is one part of this series that was always outstanding, and really lent itself to the entertainment factor.

As they say, the "little differences".

Even tossing the phone out the window, the pitch shift, doppler effect like tone as if the phone was saying, "bastaaaaaard!".

Sometimes they were incorporated so subtly they were almost subliminal, but really made the show so impactful.

Eating ribs whilst running for his life, it's almost a subliminal comic effect, and clearly does exactly what it was intended to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭gym_imposter

A fondly remembered episode is the one where Tony is recovering in hospital ( having been shot by junior) and an evangelical creationist strikes up a friendship

Tony has a dinosaur book in his room and the pastor begins a spiel about how dinosaurs never existed and the earth is only six thousand years old

When the pastor leaves the room , Christopher ( who is in visiting) says

" So what that guys saying is that there were T Rex running around the garden of Eden, no way, Adam and Eve would have been sh1t scared"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Tony catching up with Coco. My Fookin daughter, curb stomp on the stairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Luna84

The follow up to the last clip you posted where Paulie visits the priest and tells him he is slipping. Who was here when the church needed a new roof, no more he says. So funny.

If one wanted to "get into" The Wire, any recommendation for a specific episode or season to start with?

Honestly, think you have to try to forget any preconceptions you may have about it and just go ahead and watch the 1st season. If it doesn't appeal to you by the end of that, then it may just not be it for you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I tried The Wire and I think I got part way through the second series but it just didn't grip me. I think I had listened to too much of the hype online and was expecting something more whereas if I had watched it at the time it came out I might have loved it. Ditto Breaking Bad. A friend and I started watching, didn't really get into it, we were on series 2 or 3 and someone told us it gets good in series 4 so we gave it up 🤣 I might give it another go on Netflix some time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭drury..

Wtf are u doing 😁

You want me to fukk off ? Why don't I fukk off all over your stupid fukking face😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Advertisement

Who's idea was the ramp ? 😁

Advertisement