Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2024 - Round 13 - Budapest - Hungaroring

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

BBC radio 5 Live is freely available on a UK set VPN. You just sync up to sky pictures. F1TV post race show is always free on YouTube straight after the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭quokula

Unfortunately you can't get F1TV in Ireland because of Sky's exclusivity rights. Obviously there are always work arounds with VPNs etc but even then I think you need a payment card from that country, I tried it in the past and there were too many barriers.

Sky's coverage that is 99% driven by xenophobia is horrific though. Crofty just can't get over his seething hatred of Max and literally every single incident they automatically assign blame to him regardless of what happens, just like they always did to other non-British drivers who were successful in prior years.

Brundle does call things out sometimes as he can't help it as a racing driver, like he noticed Hamilton moving in the braking zone to block Max illegally and said it, but then he always stops himself from going all the way and backtracks a bit with a "well that was on the limit" kind of dismissal and moves on, where they'd be talking about it for the next ten laps if it was the other way round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭wazzzledazzle

I'd nearly happily open a bank account in Spain to get around it 😁 Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i have f1tv pro and the commentary is more mundane than sky. They still talk about UK drivers too much but it's far more balanced. Only bad thing is they don't have the same level of info as sky i.e. Ted in the pits etc.

I sub through Turkey via google play store and watch via vpn. It's very handy for watching a race after it's finished (in the max dominance days) when you knew it was status quo and you could keep jumping 10 mins ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Schorpio

If you 'visit' an EU country with F1TV and sign up there, you'll be able to watch here without a VPN.

It is a bit of a faff to set up payment (essentially, you need to pay though Google Pay, and not directly with a region-linked bank card), but you only need to do it once, and when it's done, it's done. There is a thread on boards about it.

I've not had to listen to David Croft in 3 years. Reading these comments makes me very glad of that fact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have to say when 1 driver is in a title fight and the other isn't, i think the title driver should be given priority.

My only real issue with Verstappen on team orders came when he didn't swap back to help his team mate get second in the championship, when he already had the title in the bag.

I Lando was to lose the title by 7 points, you could point to this race as the one that lost it or him.

As for losing the race in the first corner - were they actively racing each other or covering off those behind for a 1-2? Lando had closed the gap before the first pit stops, and was signficantly faster than Piastri after - though that could easily be because Piastri was managing his types (under instruction) and Lando was not (which was clear by radio coms).

I do wonder if he had let Piastri pass near immediately (as requested) would have had the pace and permission to try take the position 'legitimately'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Schorpio

One thing that's infrequently mentioned is that Lando had the preferential pit stop both times. Granted, the first stop was more important in terms of covering off Hamilton and securing the 1-2, but Piastri (rightly) won't care about that. He could argue that he should have been pitted first then too, and been even further up the road on Norris.

Norris may not like it, but both of those pit stop calls were what kept him in with a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Jacovs

That was a **** way for Piastri to win his first race, and I wonder if there was a bit of resentment on Norris's part, him only getting his first F1 win 11 weeks ago, in his 6th season in F1. And here comes his "rookie" partner in only his second season of F1 and gets his first win already. Great entertainment, will he? wont he? Id say some damage done to relationship already, but might not be permanent, depending on rest of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,277 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Lando lost the win into turn 1 lap 1. His line starts are poor.

Having said that, lap 1 shouldn't be the deciding factor for the trajectory of an entire Grand Prix. Otherwise what's the point of all the other 69 laps.

• Advertisement

I agree that the smart thing Lando should have done was to give the place back immediately and then prove he was capable of actually winning fair and square by catching and passing Piastri, rather than refusing for the rest of the race then giving the place at the last moment and leaving a sour taste in everyone's mouth. I think the reality is that he knew he wouldn't be able to pass Piastri given that overtaking is nearly impossible at the Hungaroring so holding on to the position he was gifted was the only way he could win.

I would argue that the 7 points lost is a drop in the ocean compared to the long term impact that could come out of a complete breakdown of trust within the team and with his teammate that will have resulted from his selfish behaviour. The team now know that Lando will put himself above the team and above what's right, so what will they do the next time they have to make a call about who to prioritise in pit strategy knowing they can only trust one of their drivers? What is the impact on the morale of the engineers working their ass off to bring upgrades, it's finally rewarded with a 1-2 and instead of celebrating the fruits of their labour without any caveats they're just seeing all this toxicity dominate the headlines out because of a driver putting himself above the team.

If Norris does get into a title fight, why would Piastri play the support role and sacrifice himself for Norris when he now knows Lando would never do the same for him? And this is also all on the assumption that Norris catches Verstappen and Piastri doesn't catch Norris in the championship - there is a much bigger gap from Lando to Max than there is from Oscar to Lando.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Longing

I see David Croft is under fire over Max Verstrappen comments yesterday over his sim racing. Mentions it nine times in the space of 90mins so on average every 10 mins he brought it up. 5 times he mentions Max didn't get enough sleep. Multible motorsport sites manly outside of the UK questioning Croft when they were listening to sky sports globel feed.

Glad to hear some heat going his way. He is absolutely atrocious F1 commentater. Soon as he is fazed out the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I must have watched a different race because I remember Lando giving the place back and Piastri getting the win. Yeah he dragged it out a bit, but I think that's understandable when he considers himself to be in a title fight (debatable if he is or not but w/e) and the team mate he's being ask to cede position to is 4 seconds behind with no sign of being able to close the gap.

Lando and Oscar were put in that position by the pit wall making piss poor calls yet again when it came to pit stops, it shouldn't have been that messy and that isn't entirely Lando's fault in my opinion, and if I was in his position I wouldn't want to be seen to be rolling over too easily either.

Mclaren could have easily bottled a 1 - 2 yesterday if it wasn't for their insane pace advantage, Max throwing a tantrum, and Perez being nowhere as usual. Stella's excuse of not wanting to put pressure on the pit stop crews was pathetic. Anyone who can't handle pressure in an F1 team needs to be replaced no matter where they work.

Post edited by MadYaker on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

That only applies if your initial sub is from an EU country. Mine is turkey so can't. But it only costs about 16.50 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lando should have given it back immediately and then tried to pass Piastri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,412 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I did feel it was mentioned too much but given he wasn't in a good mood maybe he did lack sleep. I doubt it was much of a factor but maybe doesn't show that Michael Schumacher type work ethic, or at least an image of that giving 100% that can drive a team, if you know what I mean. It did kind of show up redbull for how they usually use the team radio to try to influence steward decisions but only in the way they didn't really back Max for once

If it wasn't was for the Lando radio drama maybe Max would have gotten more consistent commentary about how his race was going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,568 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It wouldn't have looked as bad if they had raced and he passed him on the road.

They did make it clear on the radio earlier in the race that the two drivers were free to race. The reality though is that it's Hungaroring and overtaking is effectively impossible in similarly matched cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I think they said you are free to race until the mid 40s, which I assume meant after that point you stay where you are - I am not sure which lap the pit stops happened on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Horner reckoned you needed to be 2 seconds a lap quicker to actually overtake someone so I don’t think Lando would have been able to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,604 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

You said "I would argue that the 7 points lost is a drop in the ocean compared to the long term impact that could come out of a complete breakdown of trust within the team and with his teammate that will have resulted from his selfish behaviour. The team now know that Lando will put himself above the team and above what's right, so what will they do the next time they have to make a call about who to prioritise in pit strategy knowing they can only trust one of their drivers?"

Is that what the team learned? I'd say the evidence suggests Lando might threaten to not give the place back, and then ultimately do as he was asked and give the place back. Because that's exactly what he did in the one example we have.

Remind us, how was Lando selfish and putting himself above the team, and Max wasn't selfish and putting himself above the team when he refused to give the place back to Perez?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement