Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing an old gas fire into an electric one?

Options
  • 15-07-2024 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hey Folks,

Apologies in advance for the complete silliness and lack of knowledge that I am about to display here but I'm a bit clueless when it comes to renovations and DIY (even though the following is obviously not a DIY job).

We have recently purchased a home (30+ years old) and are now commencing the long list of renovations that need to get done. Our next project is to redo the sitting room and put in a media unit encompassing the current fireplace.

Our plan is to have a pair of nice units either side of the fireplace and then the TV on top in the center if you get me.

Anyhow we have a gas fire which I assume hasn't been used since in years; we want to change the fire and replace it with an electric one and this is why I come to the mighty boards in search of wisdom. Now I know we have to get the Gas capped/turned off at the fireplace connection and I will need to find someone legit (RGI) to do that for us.

The plan is to use this electric fireplace for aesthetic purposes only as I know it's not recommended to have a TV sitting over such heat.

The question is how complicated is it to remove the old gas fire construct and put something electric in after the gas supply has been turned off.

The wife would love a modern rectangle style fireplace which I assume would involve bashing some of the wall down to cater for fitting.

I on the other hand would be happy with a stove looking inset of sorts or frankly whatever the most straightforward option to install is.

Is this a huge job ? Or is there a simplistic option that doesn't involve rocking the house foundations to install :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭blackbox

Step 1, get an RGI plumber to remove the gas fire and block the gas supply.

2. Block the chimney as you are losing lots of heat up there. I expect the room is well ventilated because it has a gas fire. You may want to reduce ventilation.

3. Buy an electric heater to suit your taste. It will not excessively heat the television. If you want to modernise by getting rid of the existing fire surround there is some bashing required. This is purely for aesthetics.

Advertisement