Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haddington Road agreement

Options
  • 16-07-2024 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

In a weird spot in work. As far as I'm aware this agreement expired 3yrs ago, maybe 2 much of a muchness

But anyway, as part of it in my job we agreed to stay an extra 10 minutes. I don't know why, it was before my time. But every day after work we all spend about 15mins staring at the clock out machine, and we aren't paid for it, it's "goodwill"

It was only raised recently "who owns this 10mins" I didn't realise we were staying there on the basis of an expired agreement, I'm not there long enough to know the history. But the lads have been raising it a bit with management so in a few years will be hashed out

Now I commute to work and that 10mins is worth at least half an hour getting home. And the lads say we have to stay there because we didn't address it when it expired so because we kept just standing at this machine eince the agreement expired, this is how it is. That has to be complete nonsense surely?

HHowevr

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

What will happen to you if you dont do it? Just say you did an extra 10 mins during lunch or something.

If you all dont do it are they going to fire you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Now this might sound insane to some but why not actually do some work for those 15 minutes instead of staring at a machine?

I used to do work I wasnt paid for. All it led to was more work and an expectation that I was always working an hour or two after finish time. I went home about 15 mins after my normal hours one day and got moaned at for finishing early. That was the last time I ever stayed past my normal hours in a job unless i was paid for it and wanted to do it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

what do the union say, should have time now that Aer Lingus has been sorted and 1,000's of holidays ruined

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 boardjames

This sounds like a tricky situation with an expired work agreement that's still being enforced. The lads saying you have to keep doing the extra 15 minutes because you didn't address it when the agreement expired is nonsense - just because a policy lapses, doesn't mean the employer can keep enforcing it.

I'd recommend having an open discussion with management about this. Explain that the agreement has expired, and you shouldn't be expected to work for free. See if you can reach a new agreement to adjust your hours or pay accordingly. If they refuse, consider involving the union to protect your rights. You shouldn't feel compelled to donate your time, especially when it impacts your commute. Stay firm but professional in advocating for fair treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Im paid a salary at the moment. My hours are in my contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,048 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I think it might be better to seek advice from your union rep. before meeting with management.

If you go home at your normal time, which was in place from before a temporary time from an expired agreement, what could happen to you? Id like to see the outcome of that case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Joffrey

See the point is, a few posters jumped to conclusion. This is an extra 10 minutes after we have closed, we all stand at the clock out machine, more work isn't an option. It's tacked on to the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Ah lad, come on now, this is one of those initiative moments. There is no work to be done, there is no reason to be there. The 10 mins serves no purpose now. Bring it up to management immediately. If you want a list of reasons why they don't want you there for 10 mins extra standing around mention:
    - 10 mins extra of lights being on for the gang, wear and tear on light bulbs
    - 10 mins of time to kill in an office where the employer has to cover insurance, and ye will be inventive killing time, could injure yourselves on the premises when there was no need to be there
    - Its a way for management to come across as benevolent with basically zero cost to their productivity, free morale boost!

How have none of ye just started leaving early yet?!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Joffrey

No I've been pushing it hard but they insist because we have been doing it we need to keep doing it, siptu at its finest

Advertisement