Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice sought for daughter emotionally hurt by transphobic mother.

Options
  • 16-07-2024 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Firstly, I apolise if use a wrong word. Nothing but respect is intended.

My daughter has moved in with me last week when she turned 16 to transition. Her mother, who she lived with previously, is not supportive.

I came in from Work Friday after my new partner had taken her to the salon and clothes shopping, and we had emotional outbursts firstly when I told her she looked amazing and again when I offered to take her for a pair of shoes that didn't dig in.

Turns out she'd been treated like **** when she lived with her Ma. Being trans is a shameful secret that mustn't be shared. She'd been forced to attend religious what she calls pray the gay away sessions. Had been told nobody would accept her as a girl if she went through with it and nobody would want to be seen in public with her. Apparently there's no such thing as girls with mickeys, just boys with t*ts.

She'd fully expected me to be upset or angry seeing her with girl clothes, makeup, nails and ear studs. I've never hit her in my life but turns out she'd taken some painkillers so if I slapped her it wouldn't have hurt as much, and was speechless that I'd compliment her or go shoe shopping with her dressing pretty much the exact same way any other 16 year old young woman would.

How best to, as far as possible, reverse the damage? Mental health support? Peer groups? Or just reinforce that I, and her step-family love her and accept her how she is?

Any info on good support services in the Derry / Donegal area would be appreciated. I can afford to pay for them if necessary.

Advertisement