Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carvery Style Roast Beef at Home

• 16-07-2024 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,

I am just wondering are there any carvery chefs on here that could give me a few pointers on how to replicate the roast beef served in pub carvery's ? I am looking to know what beef joints are used and how they are cooked. The roast beef i am use to in carvery's would be tender and easily pulled apart rather than cut. I would like to replicate this at home if possible. If anyone has any pointers on how to cook - what joint to get ect would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say a slow roast featherblade would be right up your street. Any proper whole beast butcher should have it or be able to recommend something similar.

Essentially, you are looking for a cut of beef that is suitable for slow roasting. Don't let anyone sell you round beef for this. I'm not a fan of houskeeper's cut, either. They are both too lean and give very dry results.

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

In the same boat. Been a while since we did a Roast beef with Yorkshire pudding. It’s on the list for Sunday.

Rib roast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭mulbot

You won't get it the same, commercial ovens cook very differently to a domestic oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The closest I have had to carvery is with a beef rib roast on the bone. Next boneless rib roast or Sirloin roast. Mary Berry has some good Sunday roast beef recipes.

In supermarkets more common in winter / christmas. Supervalu butchers counter or LIDL sometimes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 543 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

it’s usually a trimmed down top sirloin on a carvery. Seared in a ripping hot pan and finished in an oven at 170 for 45 mins depending on size of the roast

• Advertisement

That timing isn't going to give the slow cooked "pullable" texture the op is looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What are the times for the various sizes? What would the timing per kilo for instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

I accidentally hit on a method that seemed close enough to carvery style beef one day after I was cooking and had family arriving who rang mid cook to say they weee delayed leaving.

I started with an Aldi sirloin roast. My family likes overcooked roasts so started it off at 180°C for about 30-40 minutes. I also had some onion in the pan along with the meat. I then turned the temp down to 140 or 150 for maybe another 30 to 50 minutes. I don’t remember the exact timings at this point but the result was very soft meat with a good taste. I’ve always figured most places doing carvery have steam ovens hence the softer texture on the meat.

If I wanted a slow roast texture, I'd be cooking any piece of meat for at least 2 and a half hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Sirloin roast in one of those self-basting bags and cook low and slow.

Being young is a great advantage, since we see the world from a new perspective and we are not afraid to make radical changes - Greta Thunburg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 543 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

That’s the timing for about a 3-4kg roast although that’s to slice. The OP is probably looking for something that’s slow cooked for much longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Bang on the ball with your choice of cuts, the rib on the bone is the winner by a mile. After roasting it to nearly the way you prefer it, take it out and rest it under tinfoil for about 20 mins. It's a pricey cut compared to the others but if you want the quality it's worth it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Could you cook a rib on the bone cut in a ninja 15 in 1?

Sear it on high

Add beef stock and then pressure cook it.

Then air fry on high for 15 mins to caramelise the skin and get it lovely and crispy on the outside but rare on the inside.

mouths watering here- I think I’ll do a roast this Sunday 😂

I don't see why this wouldn't work but it would need some experimenting to get the timing right for rare beef, I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

yeah I’d say so.
    There’s a thermometer probe that comes with the 15 in 1 that you put into the thickest part of the meat and it will stop the cooking when the meat reaches whatever temp you’ve set it to.
    So you could smart it for whatever temp is rare or medium rare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I know it's tesco meat but whatever 😂

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/305713082

Buy it, follow instructions on back.

Massive, Like butter melting in your mouth.

Nothing wrong with Tesco beef. And when on half price special offer, those rib roasts are fantastic value. Also easy to cut into smaller joints for the freezer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭ablelocks

rib roast beef, reverse sear (and i think the same method can be applied to other cuts of roast beef)

i can't find my go to recipe now as i'm on a different browser with different bookmarks, but google it, there are loads of recipes. I've done it in fan oven and in bbq and the result is a very tender, flavoursome, juicy slice of beef. better than carvery, and i like carvery.

+ all the trimmings - yorkshire, croquettes, potato gratin, veg, mash potatoes, gravy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Compelled to give it a go, been a while, so,

Sirloin 1.6kg. Dunnes, €20 and a few cent.

Reverse seared and going by Mary Berry, 200c with fan for 30 minutes.

Fess up. Too raw in the middle so microwaved the slices a tad. It’s a learning curve. Not used to roasting beef joints.

Super moist, well tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I'd take that over carvery beef any day of the week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I can't believe anyone would look for carvery beef. For me carvery to someone who craves roast beef is like methadone for someone who craves heroin.

A roast that you or your wife or mum or whoever does themselves will always be better than a carvery. All the cuts have their merits (maybe not eye of the round in fairness). If I had someone coming that I wanted to leave a good impression on it would be bone in rib, but a sirloin or round can be fantastic.

I do enjoy carvery dinners a couple of times a year. But only because I expect them to be bad. Then when they're okay, I'm happy. But okay is the upper range or my hopes for a carvery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm confused. The thread is about home cooking no?

Not some crossover between breaking bad and someones mum.

Advertisement