Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after a filling is it common/normal to get sensitivity to cold fluids?

Options
  • 16-07-2024 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

I got a filling done 2 weeks and five days ago.

It was fine, very little sensitivity, to cold fluids etc., for about the first two weeks.

I started flossing it after every meal however (about four to five times a day), I may have over done it, and one evening when I pressed the floss into the tooth (mesial surface, so against the filling), it got quite sensitive.

Since then, I've had noticeably increased sensitivity to cold fluids.

Perhaps my excessive flossing and pressing on the tooth with my tongue, further irritated the nerve?

There's no pressure sensitivity really (or just a little), when I bite down or palpate the tooth, but cold fluids are definitely noticed now.

Where as immediately after the filling and in the days/week after, it was almost un-noticeable.

X-ray of the cavity, so quite big.

Selfies of the tooth now.

Thoughts? (from a dentist or someone qualified/experienced in the area here)

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Okay here's the deal.

I got the filling done three weeks ago.

First two weeks it was fine, but I had started to floss like my life depended on it (after every meal).

Last time I flossed, when I tried to push the floss between the teeth, the filling one became SUPER sensitive.

In other words, I think it was my filled tooth saying, "stop that, I don't like it", it was causing the nerve it respond badly.

I've stopped flossing for two days now and it's feeling slightly less sensitive.

……

So, I'm assuming the teeth are too close together to floss comfortably, or the dentist messed up the filling contour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Instead of making a new thread, I might as well ask here.

Dentist or endodontist for a root canal?

Molar tooth.

Is it simply the safer bet to go with an endodontist?

Any recommended ones in Ireland?

Check up tomorrow, preparing myself for the worst.

Northbrook clinic have some dude, Dr John Lordon.

Any insights?

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

Advertisement